PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclists.

KenL
28th August 2009, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know what the law says about bikers driving between lanes to over/under take other road users?

I don't mind them moving quicker than the cars when the traffic is moving slowly in lanes (and I do move over to let them pass) but they often drive between cars on the Edi bypass when the traffic is moving steadily at 50 mph or so.

So! Do you feel this mad and dangerous to themselves and other road users?

What should the police be doing about it? Should bike clubs/forums etc. be speaking out against doing this? If you are or have been a biker, what is your opinion?

Delboy
28th August 2009, 09:27 PM
I think it's crazy, dangerous and inconsiderate to other road users. Many bikers appear to think cars should get out their way when they squeeze up the middle or overtake and force themselves back in between you and the car in front. Does my nut in :ragin:.

I'm sure it's the minority that are like this but I've never seen any biker get pulled in by the police for doing such things.

baptie
28th August 2009, 09:29 PM
As far as I am aware, motorcylist have to follow the same road laws as us normal folk.
certainly don't remember getting told I could drive like an arse whist sitting my bike test.

Think bikers like the fact that they can shoot past traffic, I was passed by 4 bikers on the st james interchange, police car infront and the bikers shot to the front. police didn't even blink.

Gismo
28th August 2009, 09:34 PM
Well, filtering is actually legal, but, as with most laws there is a very grey area covering it.

Filtering is a very dnagerous manouver as no one can really anticipate what a car driver will do at any time, the urge to get out in static traffic is very high and this leads to many crashes with bikers.
Now, the car driver is 100 per cent to blame and should make sure they are not endangering anyone when they open their door.

Filtering with traffic moving at 50mph is asking for trouble and wouldn't get the same sympathy from many courts or me, as a biker.
However, if the roads are wide enough and the car driver pulls over slightly then i would make the pass, but, the common speed for me inparticular is under 25 mph.

However, Zimbo and I experienced Paris this year and we were being pushed aside by the locals at those speeds filtering as fast as we dare.

I'd expect the police would pull a biker if found filtering at 50mph, but, if they are stuck in the same traffic they wont be able to catch a biker :frown:

Clubs and forums wont speak out about it, they will criticise folks if they openly boast about it

GCA3N
28th August 2009, 09:41 PM
As far as i new the law was the same can't remember anything different when I was doing my police exams, was a while ago though.

Gismo
28th August 2009, 09:44 PM
As far as I am aware, motorcylist have to follow the same road laws as us normal folkWhilst "making progress" which is another grey area which allows bikes to actually filter past slow traffic and not cross over solid white lines.

rpn
28th August 2009, 09:53 PM
Being a biker myself, I consider those filtering between lanes of traffic doing 50 are just being stupid and dangerous.

bigcoyote
29th August 2009, 05:58 PM
Just do what we do here in the States - open your car door as they overtake you - " sorry old chap..... did that hurt? "....:lol:

zimbo
29th August 2009, 06:19 PM
Well as said by gismo I am also a biker and yes I do filter when I think it is safe to do so at a safe speed NOT AT 50mph that is just stupid!! only because it is NOW legal to do so, and yes the majority of drivers cars /trucks etc do let us through but sometimes you do get the ignorant ones who you can see know that your trying get passed but just wont budge coz ther are the type who have the "If I cant move then neither are you..." syndrome.

If anyone ever opened their door as I was coming past and knocked me off then they had better be prepared to go to A&E, especially if they turn around and make a remark like 'Oh I didnt see you!!' coz your always supposed to check your mirrors when exiting a vehicle or manouvering the vehicle to make sure nothing is passing you.

And no I am not a violent/aggressive person :hand: I am just a law abidding car amd motorcycle rider who enjoys what I do legally.

Craig
29th August 2009, 07:24 PM
as a part time biker (fiscally conditioned you understand) I have been known to filter. As others have said, this is only safe at slower speeds. Anyone doing it at 50 deserves a kick in the wedding veg. :argh:;)

It's one of the few benefits to being on a bike that you very rarely get stuck in traffic :clap:

badwolf340
29th August 2009, 08:41 PM
I travel edin city bypass ever day,most of the biker's pass with care and consideration ...a few are mental.Not got a prob being passed on the inside/middle,but do not want wiped out bye mental biker that cant wait till a little space appear's.:thumbs up:

V3 NGS
30th August 2009, 11:20 PM
Hi I am a motorcycle instructor and the law/ highway code says that filtering by motorcyclists / cyclists is legal but there is a fine line between filtering and undertaking.... if traffic is moving at a max speed of 10 mph then filtering is allowed, but faster and the law says that it is undertaking and you will be done for it... i hope this clears this up
regards Nigel

Does anyone know what the law says about bikers driving between lanes to over/under take other road users?

I don't mind them moving quicker than the cars when the traffic is moving slowly in lanes (and I do move over to let them pass) but they often drive between cars on the Edi bypass when the traffic is moving steadily at 50 mph or so.

So! Do you feel this mad and dangerous to themselves and other road users?

What should the police be doing about it? Should bike clubs/forums etc. be speaking out against doing this? If you are or have been a biker, what is your opinion?

KenL
30th August 2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks Nigel.

I had thought that filtering was when motorbikes were allowed to "skip" stationary traffic to get through to the lights, past a traffic jam. So I suppose I was sort of right.

Your information makes it clear. Bikes over (under) taking along the white line between lanes is illegal when the cars are travelling at > 10 mph.