PDA

View Full Version : Mac Book Pro where to get parts?

Scottie
27th August 2009, 10:46 PM
I am looking for a key board including palm rest for my older mac book pro details of the one I have is below.

Also a new battery as I am only now getting about 1 hour using the current battery

Can anyone tell where is the best place to by this stuff and get the right one for my macbook is a 2006

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB

GAJ
27th August 2009, 11:30 PM
The nearest Apple authorised dealer to me is Cancom in Nicolson Street, in Edinburgh and they would be able to get the stuff for you. David (3GGG) who is a forum member also used to be able to get Apple parts, not sure if that is still the case though.

The Battery part number is ASMB012. Apple were aware of issues with this Battery (made by Sony), and offered free replacements up until 31 May of this year. Looks like this has stopped now though, although it might be worth contacting Apple direct, they are sometimes surprisingly helpful with stuff like that.

indigomatt
28th August 2009, 08:55 AM
Before I got my new pro early this year, I kept my Powerbook G4 alive with the help of this site;

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook--Macbook-Pro-Parts-and-Repair-p-1-c-446.html

The guides are good and the Apple part numbers for the things you need are easily identified.....I never brought, is cheap but always ended up e-bay'ing the bits I needed.....

Ferengo
28th August 2009, 09:11 AM
Another mac user in need of a new battery and palmrest. I've been there. Best place to get a battery is Apple.com/uk. Don't buy any of those compatibles as they don't last (I know, I've tried them) even if it is tempting as they can hold more of a charge.

As for a plamrest/keyboard Ebay is your best bet. There are a lot of spare part dealers on there but knowing the year and spec isn't always enough to get the right part. On the Macbook it doesn't matter what year it is, it's the colour of the connecting wire from the plamrest to the motherboard that details which part is required not the year or spec. Check youtube for a guide on replacing as they can explain the process and ask the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Apple-Macbook-Pro-15-Keyboard-Palmrest-assembly_W0QQitemZ230369129913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories?hash=item35a311f 5b9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's easy enough to repace the palmrest. The Apple course on repair that covers all of their range only lasts 2 days (Does that inspire confidence int he genius bar?)