PDA

View Full Version : iPhone email sync question

AndyP & Lenore
25th August 2009, 09:03 PM
I've got my BTYahoo email account sync'd with my iPhone so all emails are copied to my iphone when my iphone checks for new emails.

But I can't seem to get it to check for new emails without me asking it to. I need to click the "mail" button bottom left for it to go into the mail app and check for new emails. It used to download emails itself without asking, but I discovered that was what was causing my web mail and outlook express to keep hanging and I was getting no-where with BT customer services. Instead of manually adding the pop details and adding the mail account I used the standard wizard for adding a Yahoo mail account and that has stopped the web mail and OE hanging - strange, but it's true. but now I have the problem that I can't get emails automatically sent to the phone.

Have I got a setting set wrong somewhere?

In Settings - Mail, Contact & Calendars; under "Fetch New Data" I have "Push" set to ON and Fetch is set to "Every 15 minutes". In "Advanced" I have that set to "Push" not fetch or manual.:confused::confused:

A.

GCA3N
26th August 2009, 06:15 AM
:confused: strange, I was just about to say are you set to push.

Hamish
26th August 2009, 09:21 AM
yeah i was gonna ask about "push" too!!! i'm confused andy... if you aint got it sorted next time I see you then we can go through my phone and yours and make sure the settings are identical?!

Scottie
26th August 2009, 09:26 AM
maybe try panting.:Whistle::laugh:

SimonS
26th August 2009, 03:03 PM
Have you got a Googlemail account?

If you have, set it up in IMAP mode and you can then set it to go and fetch emails from your other accounts at regular intervals. The iPhone will then only need to check your googlemail for you to get everything.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 07:39 PM
when I was testing the Hero phone I forwarded my bt account to my googlemail account worked well.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 08:21 PM
Have you got a Googlemail account?

If you have, set it up in IMAP mode and you can then set it to go and fetch emails from your other accounts at regular intervals. The iPhone will then only need to check your googlemail for you to get everything.

Simon where's the benefit in that?:confused: I do have a googlemail account but don't really use it much. Will the yahoo account not just work the same?:confused:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 08:22 PM
yeah i was gonna ask about "push" too!!! i'm confused andy... if you aint got it sorted next time I see you then we can go through my phone and yours and make sure the settings are identical?!

Hamish, are emails getting to your phone? What email provider do you use?

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 08:52 PM
are you getting mail from other accounts pushed? i.e. your googlemail account.

Have you done a restart recently.

Have you done a reset on the iPhone
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Try deleting your yahoo account and set it up again.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 09:07 PM
Fi, I only just installed the yahoo account as I used to have it added manually using my own configuration settings and emails were being pushed instantly with no problems, but web mail and outlook Express were constantly "hanging" which was weird but deffo being caused by the iPhone being connected. So, I can delete the Yahoo account and re-instate it, but not sure what difference it will make.

I haven't added the Googlemail account but I will now and see how that works. I guess that will determine if it's an iPhone issue or a Yahoo issue.

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 09:08 PM
yip.

I would defo try the restart and reset first before you do anything else.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 09:11 PM
I have yahoo mail but with the @btinternet.com.

I access this via my iphone, using internet and also outlook express on Allans laptop. To date I do not have any problems. I set it up by just selecting the yahoo option within the iphone nothing was set up manually on the iphone

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 09:12 PM
Phone now resetting.

Off to send myself an email.

I did get a text message from O2 saying there was an update to the software required, so I guess I better sync the phone too.

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 09:16 PM
great stuff fingers crossed.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Email came trough straight away. BUT, I had to switch wi fi on first, as the signal is pants at home - no 3G thats for sure. So maybe this is a signal problem. I did get an email on the phone earlier today with just 3G on, no wifi, but when i went to web mail to check that email there was another 2 waiting too.:confused:

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 09:22 PM
could be. If you got the push with the wi-fi then the system must be ok

I do know if battery life is low it will not activate the bluetooth so maybe something the same with signal strength.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 09:32 PM
NOPE! Arrggghhhh:argh:. I sent another email to my yahoo account and after 10 mins of it not appearing I opened "Mail" on the iPhone and only then did it check for the new message and found it. The first one I sent it got pushed straight away.:argh:

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 09:38 PM
what about your googlemail have you set that up yet and tried it.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 10:03 PM
Just added it now Fi.

It needed me to go into the Mail function to download mail. It didn't download them automatically.:frown:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 10:05 PM
My e66 was fine for this. Never had any issues with emails being pushed to that phone.:confused:

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 10:12 PM
got to be your settings or your phone it's so frustrating :argh::argh: I just sent myself an email to both accounts and they pushed straight away.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 10:26 PM
got to be your settings or your phone it's so frustrating :argh::argh: I just sent myself an email to both accounts and they pushed straight away.

Yeah, it must be a setting I have wrong somewhere. Like you say it's frustrating as hell.:argh:

Yahoo's own site makes a huge deal out of it being really easy to set up email on the iPhone; go to settings, add mail, enter your log in details and wahaaay... emails will automatically be sent to your iPhone. OH REALLY!!!! Only sometimes though.:argh:

Gonna try deleting the mail account, resetting the phone, syncing the phone on iTunes (there's an update needed anyway), then re-configure the phone for emails. See what happens then.

A.

Scottie
26th August 2009, 10:31 PM
well if all else fails.

Get the phone put on the floor take the heel of your shoe and slam it down on the phone. Guaranteed not to fix the phone but will make you feel much better.:D

SimonS
26th August 2009, 10:42 PM
Andy,

Just to try things out, I have just signed up for an email account at uk.yahoo.com and then followed the standard setup on the iPhone (3G running 3.0.1).

I have just send a test email from my Apple @me.com account using my home computer and it took no more than 2 seconds to show up on the iPhone.

I would suspect that BT might be the problem.

Edit after a bit of testing...

If you have another computer signed into your Yahoo account then this takes precedence over the iPhone and the iPhone will not show incoming emails until you go into the inbox to check. If you the sign out on the other computer, any unread emails are pushed to the iPhone regardless of whether you have the mail app open or not.

It seems you can't be signed into yahoo from more than one place at a time.

AndyP & Lenore
26th August 2009, 11:46 PM
Cheers Simon. I've logged into my bt yahoo web mail and then physically LOGGED OUT, rather than just closing the browser. I always log out when I use it at work or anywhere else, but if I use it at home I used to just close the browser. Will make sure I log out properly now to see what happens.

A.