PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel rattle

shaunbhoy67
24th August 2009, 11:37 PM
i have a problem and was wondering what it may be when i drive and get to about 50 the steering wheel rattles, vibrates and i have being trying to figure what is wrong, wheels got changed on 3rd august so virtually new and i was thinking that they may have not being balanced properly any ideas?

Livi
24th August 2009, 11:40 PM
could be balance problems, i would have them checked over :thumbs up:

shaunbhoy67
24th August 2009, 11:43 PM
ye im gonna go to the garage that fitted them and get them to check, you wouldnt happen to know what time the kwik fit off the cleppy opens at do you?

Livi
24th August 2009, 11:46 PM
ye im gonna go to the garage that fitted them and get them to check, you wouldnt happen to know what time the kwik fit off the cleppy opens at do you?

i would personally nip down to tayside tyres to check it.

they have a contract with BMW/MINI and are a good bunch of guys.

when are you thinking of going?

shaunbhoy67
24th August 2009, 11:51 PM
well it was just that they fitted them and if they have knackered it up then they can fix it, i am playing golf in kinross the morn and was hoping to try and get it done before i go but i dont think that is going to be possible, where is tayside tires anyway? would they charge also?

Livi
24th August 2009, 11:53 PM
well it was just that they fitted them and if they have knackered it up then they can fix it, i am playing golf in kinross the morn and was hoping to try and get it done before i go but i dont think that is going to be possible, where is tayside tires anyway? would they charge also?

well... i would maybe nip back to them seeing as they fitted them, just tell them the situation and it only happened after they fitted them.

if no luck, i can meet you and speak to one of the guys and see what can be arranged :thumbs up:

shaunbhoy67
24th August 2009, 11:56 PM
cool cheers david i will do that and see what they say if no luck then i will pop round and see you at jc's :thumbs up:

GCA3N
25th August 2009, 06:16 AM
I had this once. stopped and checked , the garage had not tightened up the wheel nuts properly on one of the front wheels, shocking.:eek:

shaunbhoy67
25th August 2009, 11:10 PM
funny you mentioning that i may check that as i never checked it but the guy said come back after a certain amount of miles to check but surely they can tighten them without you having to go back and get them checked, if that is the case me is not going to be happy :ragin:

Gismo
25th August 2009, 11:20 PM
funny you mentioning that i may check that as i never checked it but the guy said come back after a certain amount of miles to check but surely they can tighten them without you having to go back and get them checked, if that is the case me is not going to be happy :ragin:Usually after getting new tyres or at least when you have the wheels off the trye company will put a disclaimer on your passenger seat to re-tighten the wheel nuts after 50 miles or so

Craig
25th August 2009, 11:24 PM
Usually after getting new tyres or at least when you have the wheels off the trye company will put a disclaimer on your passenger seat to re-tighten the wheel nuts after 50 miles or so

Yup. I do that when I change my wheels over.. ;)

shaunbhoy67
25th August 2009, 11:35 PM
will be checking them the morn first thing then, last time i had them changed nothing like that happend but will get it checked the morn, cheers for the help :D

shaunbhoy67
26th August 2009, 03:56 PM
found out what the problem was wheels were not balanced properly, got it sorted this morning

GCA3N
26th August 2009, 04:03 PM
found out what the problem was wheels were not balanced properly, got it sorted this morning

Sometimes the weights come off to, there was a bit on top gear about that and you can't belive the difference it makes with a tiny weight not on.

shaunbhoy67
26th August 2009, 04:09 PM
Sometimes the weights come off to, there was a bit on top gear about that and you can't belive the difference it makes with a tiny weight not on.

ye its unbelievable just what a little weight missing can do to the ride quality or not so much ride quality but i.e. rattle in the steering wheel, just shows that a little thing missing can make big difference

RyanK
26th August 2009, 05:02 PM
just buy the gp then your rattles will be gone