PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressures & checking them regularly...

Tahra
18th May 2004, 11:27 PM
Just wondered how many of us regularly check the tyre pressures especially on the run-flat tyres? I ask because being run-flats it's difficult to tell when a tyre is running a bit low purely by looking at it.

I'm guessing that the tyre pressure sensor works on sudden changes in pressure rather than measuring the pressure against some calibrated value, which is why I suspect that tyres can be well down but the driver unaware.

Just wanted to gather the collective thoughts of the NMS masses...

Mr Tahra (aka John)

Gismo
18th May 2004, 11:35 PM
The tyre sensor does NOT work off a pressure module, it actually works by sensing the different overall circumference.
Should one tyre get punctured then the rolling circumference differs and the sensor activates the warning light in the cabin.

However, should all your tyres get puntured and they deflate at exactly the same pace the sensor will not pick it up.
You should check your tyre pressures regularly, just like we all do :p:eek:

Hope that helps :)

R7 ETH
18th May 2004, 11:35 PM
I usually check the tyre pressures on past cars every week, however we have had the mini less than a week so we havent checked yet.:D

Burple
19th May 2004, 12:07 AM
I checked mine at the weekend cos you know... they just felt funny...
turns out front right was down about 4psi... heh
what a a geek... ;):D:cool:

phantom
19th May 2004, 03:15 AM
Cos I thought run flats would tell me if a small drop in pressure happened, I havent checked them since last September, but before the run to Fintray I thought I would check them, they were all at 24psi, not much of a drop but a wake up call all the same.:clown:

KenL
19th May 2004, 04:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by phantom

Cos I thought run flats would tell me if a small drop in pressure happened, I havent checked them since last September, but before the run to Fintray I thought I would check them, they were all at 24psi, not much of a drop but a wake up call all the same.:clown:

Does anyone read the manual when they get a new car :p:D

OK - here we go :D

1. The tyre pressure warning system has nothing to do with having runflat tyres on your car.
2. The tyre pressure system cannot detect a gradual drop in pressure which happens over time with all tyres. It can only detect a differential drop in pressure in a tyre against the others by detecting a change in it's rotational speed.

I usually check mine every two weeks.

Duncan Stewart
19th May 2004, 04:52 PM
Check mine pretty regular - before any longish runs, when I wash it, or if I feel the car is handling a bit odd. I keep a little keyring type tyre pressure gauge in the car so only takes a minute.

Scottie
20th May 2004, 12:07 AM
Never check mine.

phantom
20th May 2004, 03:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

1. The tyre pressure warning system has nothing to do with having runflat tyres on your car.
2. The tyre pressure system cannot detect a gradual drop in pressure which happens over time with all tyres. It can only detect a differential drop in pressure in a tyre against the others by detecting a change in it's rotational speed.

Head held down in shame!:disapprove:

Julz
20th May 2004, 03:33 AM
I'll be totally honest and say I've never check mine, mainly cause the tyres are replaced so bloomin' often, and there ain't that much air in there anyway, plus couldn't get my spin caps off cause they'd frazzled on (that's why I have the odd plastic valve stem and the odd plastic cap!!):eek::blackeye:

KenL
20th May 2004, 04:04 AM

:eek:I was only joking - honest :evil::D

phantom
21st May 2004, 03:37 AM

quote:

:eek:I was only joking - honest :evil::D

Lets be honest, Bloke gets new toy, read manual, instructions! Its not going to happen is it.;);)