PDA

View Full Version : Mileage

Sheilz
21st August 2009, 08:40 PM
Am only getting about 350 miles to a tank of petrol. I'm not sure why but I'd expected a better return for my petrol money. Am I being unrealistic in my expectations? About 300 of those miles were motorway/dual carriageway.

KenL
21st August 2009, 08:43 PM
Am only getting about 350 miles to a tank of petrol. I'm not sure why but I'd expected a better return for my petrol money. Am I being unrealistic in my expectations? About 300 of those miles were motorway/dual carriageway.

What kind of car is it? What kind of driving are you doing?

GCA3N
21st August 2009, 08:57 PM
I Have An R56 S and I can get 32 MPG if i drive .....Enthusiastically:Whistle: and 51MPG if i drive like my Mum. These cars have an amazing ability to be very economical but in the same breath a bit unforgiving if you decide to drive it like it should be driven. In saying that it is not as bad as the R53 which is a tad more unforgiving if you give it a bit of welly

Scottie
21st August 2009, 09:15 PM
Cooper Hatch I'm getting 41 to 43 mpg to and from work A roads. On Craigs recent run I was getting 46mpg. Long motor way best I can get is 48mpg.

The Clubman will be less as it's a heavier motor.

KenL
21st August 2009, 09:23 PM
In my R56 S, I am getting 39mpg at the moment to and from work (A1 plus Edi bypass and about 4 miles 30 mph zone). More town work or heavier foot brings this down but never below 34 or so mpg.

In my R56 Cooper it was 43 mpg for the same journey described above.

Delboy
21st August 2009, 09:49 PM
I averaged 43mpg on the recent Argyll and Bute run :D

baptie
21st August 2009, 10:01 PM
for £40 I am getting about 250 miles (Cooper S)

KenL
21st August 2009, 10:22 PM
for £40 I am getting about 250 miles (Cooper S)

An R53?

Craig
21st August 2009, 10:28 PM
An R53?

most probably, I get about 300 miles from £50 of fuel. :rolleyes::laugh:

Stewart
21st August 2009, 10:42 PM
I know you should never have it full unless needed, but since I got my Cooper I’ve been filling it up at shell and its lasting me two weeks on around £30 and around 300 miles. I normally fill it up when the last two red light come on.

On the TWL run the computer had me at 54 MPG……….it was on 48 MPG on the Oban run. Got to remember the Cooper tank in only 40lt what was the older Cooper, the Cooper S is 50lt is it not.

baptie
21st August 2009, 11:02 PM
aye, R53.

started granny driving & watching the whoosh noise.......canny help it

GCA3N
22nd August 2009, 06:09 AM
I know you should never have it full unless needed, but since I got my Cooper I’ve been filling it up at shell and its lasting me two weeks on around £30 and around 300 miles. I normally fill it up when the last two red light come on.

On the TWL run the computer had me at 54 MPG……….it was on 48 MPG on the Oban run. Got to remember the Cooper tank in only 40lt what was the older Cooper, the Cooper S is 50lt is it not.

54 MPG, your worse than my mum:p:lol:

GCA3N
22nd August 2009, 06:13 AM
This probs slighlty off subject but i was talking about this thread last night and one of my work mates bought himself a brand new 6.2l VXR8. He bought it last week and has paid... wait for it £22,995, 12 grand of the list price. Anyway he says that he should manage on a good day 16mpg and if he starts the engine ;)about 10mpg. All that money he saved he can buy some petrol, oh and the £400 a year road tax.

antihero3000
22nd August 2009, 09:55 AM
This probs slighlty off subject but i was talking about this thread last night and one of my work mates bought himself a brand new 6.2l VXR8. He bought it last week and has paid... wait for it £22,995, 12 grand of the list price. Anyway he says that he should manage on a good day 16mpg and if he starts the engine ;)about 10mpg. All that money he saved he can buy some petrol, oh and the £400 a year road tax.

Pre-reg at least? Hell of a lot of car for the money.

Mysteriously i've gained a few mpg after having my intercooler refitted. Just over 38mpg/400 miles to a tank in my R53 S now.

Livi
22nd August 2009, 02:55 PM
I pay 47 quid to fill the R53 up (from red 1 bar) and i get 320 miles to the tank.

average mileage i was getting on craigs run was 36mpg

baptie
28th August 2009, 05:02 PM
Just had the 'S' on its longest run, 3days in Pitlochry.

round trip plus sightseeing £46 - 360miles plus about half the red line left.
happy enough with that, mind that was me watching the MPG all the time.

KenL
28th August 2009, 06:01 PM
Just had the 'S' on its longest run, 3days in Pitlochry.

round trip plus sightseeing £46 - 360miles plus about half the red line left.
happy enough with that, mind that was me watching the MPG all the time.

A "rough" calc shows about 36mpg there. That is at £1k/litre - assuming regular fuel.

baptie
28th August 2009, 08:18 PM
not bad at all.

great since we are off to Lakes and york next week.

Stewart
29th August 2009, 12:31 PM
Going for a blast down to North Yorkshire for a week and basically touring about Scarborough, Filey, the Moors etc…..love the roads and know them well and coming back via the lakes.

So I’ll be interested to see what I can get. When I was on the TWR granted I was not going fast but going faster than my usual touring about so I recon I can get 58MPG easy.

As for my Carbon Footprint, I just think I’m doing my wallet a bit of good, enjoying the scenery and offsetting Greigs "S" :D

baptie
29th August 2009, 01:40 PM
we are going Keswick, down through the lakes out at Kendal.

Across the Yorkshire dales, never been before and over to York.

Up to the beamish town and back home.

great round trip, staying in Keswick and York for 3 days

Stewart
29th August 2009, 01:49 PM
yeah going through Kendal on the drive home then over to the lakes and up to penrith. :thumbs up:

Doing part of your run in reverse probably if your taking that road that cuts right across the Dales.

GCA3N
29th August 2009, 02:01 PM
Doing part of your run in reverse.

Is that legal!

baptie
29th August 2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.chessandpoker.com/forums/images/smilies/tumbleweed.gif

ajamesj
29th August 2009, 08:56 PM
Dam I just cant get my average down below 54mpg with hard driving lol and on my last long journey from Arbroath to Ayr was averaging 67mpg and was not granny driving its great fun but I still miss the whine from my R53 "s" and thats two years gone since I had it.

baptie
29th August 2009, 09:19 PM
Moan the whine

Sheilz
31st August 2009, 10:11 AM
My average seems stuck at 40.2. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm granny driving or not. How often would the average mileage change? I've kept on an eye on mpg over a few trips and at one point managed to get it up to 99mpg though going afa slow to get that :D Think I'm getting used to the different kind of driving but miss the impudence of specy and the wee growl that came from his rear. Dougall doesn't come across as being so feisty and to be honest to copy a phrase from another thread, sometimes gives the impression that he couldn't pull the skin off the proverbial custard.

Despite the lack of oomph am becoming quite fond of him. Some *rse gave him a crack with a shopping trolley, lucky didnt dent him but has left the imprint of a corner of the trolley frame low down on his door. It disguises ok with pampering but would appreciate it if folk weren't so careless around other people's property. I usually park well away from folk but this time nae far enough :frown:

The Dogfather
31st August 2009, 10:21 AM
Can I make a recommendation for roads down south, the road from Brough to Middleton-in-Teesdale then on to Alston then head to Penrith via Hartside.

This misses a stretch of the M6, it will put a smile on your face so large it will look like you've tried to swallow a coathanger.

koolsville
31st August 2009, 12:55 PM
So the whine is intentional! Wondered what that was! Anyway, I fill up when the red light comes on, £40 a pop and 320 miles in my R50 Cooper. Mixed country and town driving with a smattering of hard accelerating thrown in for fun.

GP BILLY
31st August 2009, 10:41 PM
The GP computer say's I am getting 23mpg average:lol:
but it is soooooooooooo worth it:thumbs up:

The cooper parklane average is 34mpg (amust huv a heavy right foot):cool:

Craig
31st August 2009, 10:58 PM
I know the feeling Billy, I get about 28mpg... :yes nod:

GCA3N
31st August 2009, 11:09 PM
I know the feeling Billy, I get about 28mpg... :yes nod:

Even driving that slow!!!

Craig
31st August 2009, 11:18 PM
Even driving that slow!!!

Easy Big Man... :knife::lol:

Kren__
10th September 2009, 07:56 AM
For all of you worried about mileage, the worst I ever saw from my RX-8 was about 14mpg and a range of 175 miles from a 60 litre tank... :thud:

This morning on my way into work I saw 39.6 mpg in the wee Cooper S... I had to check it twice cos I haven't seen numbers like that in a loooooong time... :lol:

Slightly off topic, but the tax for both the MINI and my wifes Corsa combined is £150 cheaper than the RX-8 was on its own! :eek:

MINI = Happy Days (for my wallet)

GCA3N
10th September 2009, 11:57 AM
For all of you worried about mileage, the worst I ever saw from my RX-8 was about 14mpg and a range of 175 miles from a 60 litre tank... :thud:

This morning on my way into work I saw 39.6 mpg in the wee Cooper S... I had to check it twice cos I haven't seen numbers like that in a loooooong time... :lol:

Slightly off topic, but the tax for both the MINI and my wifes Corsa combined is £150 cheaper than the RX-8 was on its own! :eek:

MINI = Happy Days (for my wallet)

great isn't it. Believe it or not if you are very careful you can get above 50 :eek:
even if you drive like stoney u get low thirties, sorry stoney

Kren__
10th September 2009, 12:18 PM
great isn't it. Believe it or not if you are very careful you can get above 50 :eek:
even if you drive like stoney u get low thirties, sorry stoney

Might just try that while I'm running her in. We'll see how long that lasts tho... :D

Ally S
10th September 2009, 07:57 PM
I think the mpg reading gets stuck sometimes. Like when you change driving styles it doesnt move from the same value until you reset it. I know its an average but it should going on previous cars it should at least move slightly.

Mine said something like 45.2 for most of the Oban run