PDA

View Full Version : Help Asap!!

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 09:39 PM
I took my mini to a mini dealership today and they informed me I need my rear silencer and heat shield replaced. The guy told me that all in all this would cost me £430. Is this a fair price? Any advice would be greatly appriciated, thanks!

Livi
18th August 2009, 09:47 PM
sounds about a right price, but was this the price fitted?

When replacing the exhaust, there was a modification to the rear box which requires the rear heatshield in-conjunction with the exhaust.

im pritty sure the price would include rear exhaust brackets aswell :thumbs up:

if your not sure about replacing it OEM have you thought about aftermarket?

KenL
18th August 2009, 09:49 PM
Does anyone go to the likes of Kwik Fit for a MINI exhaust?

Livi
18th August 2009, 09:50 PM
i have had a couple of calls from kwik-fit for MINI exhausts, but then, i dunno what they charge but it must be near an arm and a leg :D

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 10:38 PM
Well im guessing this includes the brackets etc as well. Ok so this is a reasonable price? I just thought the price might be a bit lower than what they have estimated!! I was planning on taking my car to the likes of kwik fit etc for quotes but i'm not sure if they will be more expensive or not??

Livi
18th August 2009, 10:40 PM
in total, it seems like a fair price if there is quite a bit being replaced and including the labour.

The way i would see it is, i would rather go to dealer to make sure its done and im sure there is a fitted warranty plus the parts are covered under 2 years warranty :thumbs up:

seems alot in the end, but if you look into an estimate detailed it breaks down and looks better :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
18th August 2009, 10:46 PM
Kimmy you should be able to pick up an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust that will last forever for about half what BMW charge for a mild steel one that will rust away in 5 years:Whistle:
I, and quite a few others on here, have a system made by a company called Playmini:thumbs up: Very well made, makes a fruitier exhaust note and being made of st.st. will last:smilewinkgrin:

Craig
18th August 2009, 10:55 PM
Kimmy you should be able to pick up an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust that will last forever for about half what BMW charge for a mild steel one that will rust away in 5 years:Whistle:
I, and quite a few others on here, have a system made by a company called Playmini:thumbs up: Very well made, makes a fruitier exhaust note and being made of st.st. will last:smilewinkgrin:

and nearly half the price at about £250 delivered to your house. :yes nod:

Livi
18th August 2009, 10:59 PM
if it was me, i would be looking into aftermarket, as some of the S/S exhausts are much better and will last forever and a day.

MINI exhausts will not last as long as a S/S one and as Gordie says you will be the same price in a few more years with a standard one (trust me) :thumbs up:

Some of the guys on here run Playmini exhaust and will be able to point you in the right direction :smilewinkgrin:

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, although i'm still quite confused :P

I just feel that £430 is extremely expensive when they are only replacing part of the system! Is the system made by playmini roughly the same price???

Livi
18th August 2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, although i'm still quite confused :P

I just feel that £430 is extremely expensive when they are only replacing part of the system! Is the system made by playmini roughly the same price???

its a big exhaust which covers nearly the whole underside of the car in one piece :D

Playmini will be cheaper than standard

Smitty
18th August 2009, 11:07 PM
The PlayMini will set you back aprox £250 for the link pipe (from the manifold) and the back box.

If you want a link pipe with a built in silencer, I think it cost's an extra £50 or so.

As for fitting - easily done by a local mechanic for £50 as it should take them no more than an hour. Or if you know what your doing...can easily be done yourself.

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 11:09 PM
Ok thanks guys, this is so confusing, the dealership are supposed to be fixing it tomorrow but I might just have a look around before I settle with one. Thanks again for all advice :D

RyanK
18th August 2009, 11:10 PM
Milltek or Borla all the way imo for a One/Cooper..

Playmini is good for the coin though!

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 11:10 PM
Haha no, i dont exactly know what im doing!!!

Smitty
18th August 2009, 11:17 PM
Ok, to help demonstrate, here are some pics from when I removed my standard exhaust and fitted my PlayMini

This is the old exhaust. The silencer is the wider bit at the far end of the pipe:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020834.jpg

This is the Playmini backbox:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020833.jpg

This is where the silencer and joining pipe would bolt onto:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020827.jpg

This is the joining pipe:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020836.jpg

You can see it now just bolts straight onto the catalytic converter, removing the need for an additional silencer (although can can buy a silencer pipe from PlayMini).

The back box fitted:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020835.jpg

Hope this makes things a bit easier to understand :thumbs up:

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 11:22 PM
That first image is exactly what my exhaust looks likealthough mines is prob more corroded, i quite like the playmini one although if i do go for it someone is gonna have to fit it for me, but all in all this will prob work out cheaper in the long run. Thanks for that, those pics have been a big help!!

Stewart
18th August 2009, 11:26 PM
Beggar’s belief that BMW can’t spend like any manufacturer that wee bit extra and go SS from the get go………..like the look of that play Mini one.

Kimmy how olds the car?

Kimmy1
18th August 2009, 11:33 PM
Its 4 years old although i've only had it for just over a month!! It was a private sale so i always knew something bad like this could happen!! I was basically driving a long distance and something fell off the underside of my car and my friend said it was the heat shield!!

GCA3N
19th August 2009, 06:12 AM
Dealerships are expensive all of them. But £430 for an exhaust is mad. I took my cooper to a place where they custom built a Stainless exhaust(cat back). What it looked like, the tip shape even the sound that i wanted and all for £250.

Big Gordy
19th August 2009, 08:21 AM
Kimmy you'd be absolutely BARKING MAD to pay £430 for a standard exhaust:eek:
If fact if you do buy a standard one some of the boys will be round to see you:knife:

I'm only joking :Whistle::lol:

baptie
19th August 2009, 10:12 AM
plus going for playmini (other suppliers are available) will add to the enjoyment of the car.

I love play mini zausts

Crombers
19th August 2009, 03:30 PM
Playmini, best MOD you can do on yer MINI :thumbs up:

Kimmy1
19th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Oh my god, phoned this morning five mins after the garage opened and the guy said, sorry but the work has been done. Aaaargh im fuming, and apparently that was WITH a discount!!! You better send the boys round......to the garage!!!!!!!! Will try to upload a pic of my mini but not sure how this site works...

Big Gordy
19th August 2009, 06:02 PM
Right:ragin: You're forit now:argh:
Heavy bummer man:sad:

Kimmy1
19th August 2009, 06:15 PM
I am actually gutted...... i think they seen me coming a mile off noooooo! Well in future I think i'm gonna consult you guys before I make any decisions :(:(:(

Livi
19th August 2009, 06:18 PM
Oh my god, phoned this morning five mins after the garage opened and the guy said, sorry but the work has been done. Aaaargh im fuming, and apparently that was WITH a discount!!! You better send the boys round......to the garage!!!!!!!! Will try to upload a pic of my mini but not sure how this site works...

did you authorize the work to be carried out?

Bumble
19th August 2009, 06:22 PM
cos if you didn't authorise it they shouldn't have yet even started it! ... just seen this - play mini rules !

Kimmy1
19th August 2009, 06:30 PM
Well yes i said they could go ahead with it admittedly, and the man said it would get done the next afternoon, then i spoke to you guys and decided i would phone first thing and cancel it. So yes its my fault really!! They have done a really good job though, although the exhaust noise is still really noisey. The rear silencer alone cost neary 300 :O

GCA3N
19th August 2009, 07:30 PM
I am actually gutted...... i think they seen me coming a mile off noooooo! Well in future I think i'm gonna consult you guys before I make any decisions :(:(:(

Good idea, feel sorry for you.:sad::frown:

KenL
19th August 2009, 08:02 PM
Whilst we are on exhausts...

What do insurance companies charge extra if you fit a non-standard exhaust?

Do you NEED to tell them if there are no real performance gains?

Can you get an aftermarket exhaust that does not sound that "different" to standard?

"If" you were to go to Kwik Fit etc. do you need to tell your insurance company?

I "like" oem, but why pay extra for something is not as good/long lasting!

Kimmy1
19th August 2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys :(

KenL
19th August 2009, 08:03 PM
...oh and JC Parts, could you post up the price of the R50/53/56 exhaust parts?

That way, we could compare like for like if we get the man doon the road to fit it.

Craig
19th August 2009, 08:06 PM
Whilst we are on exhausts...

What do insurance companies charge extra if you fit a non-standard exhaust?

They don't normally charge if there is no performance gain.

Do you NEED to tell them if there are no real performance gains?

YES - ANY modification should be notified to them, then it is their choice whether to ignore it or not.

Can you get an aftermarket exhaust that does not sound that "different" to standard?

YES - you can get one built to your own standard by a custom company.

"If" you were to go to Kwik Fit etc. do you need to tell your insurance company?

I wouldn't have thought so as it will be mild steel (ie the same as manufacturer). You could liken this to changing your oil filter from an aftermarket, rather than a BMW/MINI one - would you tell your insurance? I don't think so.

I "like" oem, but why pay extra for something is not as good/long lasting!

:clap::clap:

Livi
19th August 2009, 08:09 PM
...oh and JC Parts, could you post up the price of the R50/53/56 exhaust parts?

That way, we could compare like for like if we get the man doon the road to fit it.

Sure thing Ken, ill put up prices tomorrow :thumbs up:

KenL
19th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Sure thing Ken, ill put up prices tomorrow :thumbs up:

Good man.

KenL
19th August 2009, 08:39 PM
:clap::clap:

Thanks Craig :D

Big Gordy
19th August 2009, 08:42 PM
God Ken :eek:....you do like to cover ALL the bases don't you:lol:
Live a little man...go on:moonie:

KenL
19th August 2009, 08:48 PM
God Ken :eek:....you do like to cover ALL the bases don't you:lol:
Live a little man...go on:moonie:

Fekk me, what's wrong with a man wanting some information :smilewinkgrin:

I might be 40 but I'm still learning :thumbs up:

Stewart
19th August 2009, 11:54 PM
Hay ken some on here change there Alloys by the season……..But I’m still in the dark if I’d have to call the insurance all the time to do so. So Ask away as I’m learning as well….

GCA3N
20th August 2009, 06:18 AM
Hay ken some on here change there Alloys by the season……..But I’m still in the dark if I’d have to call the insurance all the time to do so. So Ask away as I’m learning as well….

You had better. I put my new wheels on and after a couple of days I phoned the insurance, guess what, my insurance would have be void as the insurance company that i was with will not execpt non standard wheels. My origonal quote was £320 approx, and when they started looking for another insurance company they only found 1 that would insure me, wait for it £850:eek: I said for get it I will go somewhere else and while we are at it i will be chaging my other car and my house insurance. Attitude changed and she said I will see what discount we can get you, 2 mins later it went down to £650. I still said no. Mean while I was on compare the market and Kwik fit(who I am with) quoted £430 on-line. I told her this and gave her the on-line code and guess what it went down to £480.
So I guess you had better let them know. Insurance companies will do anything these days to get out of a payout especially if it was written off. Be warned.

Stewart
20th August 2009, 07:54 AM
Don’t worry I would be on to check the old insurance.
But did not know that you would probably have to do so with a play mini exhaust

Livi
20th August 2009, 05:29 PM
MINI R50:

Total price: £378.37 inc vat (No discount)

MINI R53

Total price: £581.79 inc vat (No discount)

MINI R56 (Cooper)

Total Price: £520.32 inc vat (No discount)

MINI R56 Cooper S

Total price: £520.32 inc vat (No discount)

KenL
20th August 2009, 05:45 PM
MINI R50:

MINI R53

Total price: £581.79 inc vat (No discount)

MINI R56 (Cooper)

Total Price: £520.32 inc vat (No discount)

MINI R56 Cooper S

Total price: £520.32 inc vat (No discount)

Thanks for posting the info David :thumbs up:

Holy smoke :eek:

Those prices seem totally horrific for the parts. Do these include the catalytic converter?

Seems very strange that the R50 Cooper exhaust is so much cheaper than the R56 Cooper.

This looks like another reason not to keep a MINI beyond warranty. I doubt an exhaust would not be covered under an extended warranty - or would it?

Stewart
20th August 2009, 06:11 PM
I was behind a girl in a Silver R53 I think it would be Cooper with the exhaust knackered, well it looked that way it was hanging about six inches to a foot I kind you not from the cut space for the tail pipe….

That’s scary I take it that’s the Full system with the Cat………otherwise BMW are having a laugh.

Livi
20th August 2009, 06:47 PM
Ken, these are after cat prices.

Parts warranty would cover you for 2 years anyways, so if the problem did come along it would cover that.

im very unsure about reasons for MINI warranty as its not really my daily job as i only know my department procedures.

i was actually shocked at the prices TBH and its actually made me think about going aftermarket than OEM as that price is scary!

KenL
20th August 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks David for posting these.

Prices are severe. I would not/could not justify paying that for a few pieces of mild steel.

With the volume of these manufactured, the profit for MINI/BMW must be enormous. :sad:

Smitty
21st August 2009, 12:32 PM
MINI R50:

That's mental - my Playmini was less than £250, fitted it myself, looks better, sounds better and will undoubtly last longer.

David...you should convince JC's to start stocking and fitting aftermarket systems! ;)