PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom for iPhone

Bazthemod
18th August 2009, 01:16 AM
Has been launched at last, will be very tempted come payday! I think it's reasonably priced at £59.99 and gets rid of another gadget to declutter the dashboard! :cool:

GCA3N
18th August 2009, 06:04 AM
Has been launched at last, will be very tempted come payday! I think it's reasonably priced at £59.99 and gets rid of another gadget to declutter the dashboard! :cool:

oh yes that will do nicely well done Baz a defo must for the iphone.

stoney
18th August 2009, 04:29 PM
whats wrong with google maps you can do it with that

Bazthemod
18th August 2009, 05:34 PM
Doesn't give you turn by turn directions or voice guidance tho Rob :hand:

Smitty
18th August 2009, 07:20 PM
FINALLY!! I'll wait for the first two or three updates/bug fixes then invest! :D

Gismo
19th August 2009, 08:25 AM
I just used the current maps on the iPhone in London recently and although it doesn't have voice directions you can easily follow the route

Stewart
19th August 2009, 01:47 PM
My Mate took his Motorhome round the Outer Hebrides with his I-phone stuck to the window and it worked fantastically well, he even can load up an app that works with speed cameras. Its not TomTom but works as good as.

Only thing he has to watch out for is the fishing game that works with the movement of the phone in you hand, his kid keeps trying to throw the dam phone either at the wall or Window of his house.

The Dogfather
19th August 2009, 03:02 PM
The telegraph ran an article today about O2 have lost the iphone from September, the article states they have seen documents that confirm this. Orange and T-Mobile are favourites to take over.

GCA3N
19th August 2009, 03:15 PM
The telegraph ran an article today about O2 have lost the iphone from September, the article states they have seen documents that confirm this. Orange and T-Mobile are favourites to take over.

Wonder how will that work with existing contracts.

GAJ
19th August 2009, 03:56 PM
Wonder how will that work with existing contracts.

The story is actually that o2 are to lose exclusivity to the iPhone, so contracts won't be affected, in fact, competition might make things better for people taking out new contracts. :smilewinkgrin: The original story that the Telegraph has now picked up on is at http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/33951/O2UK-iPhone-exclusive-to-end-on-October-9th

Smitty
19th August 2009, 11:09 PM
The story is actually that o2 are to lose exclusivity to the iPhone, so contracts won't be affected, in fact, competition might make things better for people taking out new contracts. :smilewinkgrin: The original story that the Telegraph has now picked up on is at http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/33951/O2UK-iPhone-exclusive-to-end-on-October-9th

Yup - and to add to that O2 have a contract with Apple through to the end of 2012 for the iPhone. It's just the exclusivity that they are loosing.

The iPhone is about to go to the mass market I feel.

Anyway, back on topic, Baz - have you downloaded it yet? I think i'm going to hold off for the first few updates to iron out the bugs, and for them to add live content.

Bazthemod
20th August 2009, 12:27 AM
Nah not yet, waiting on payday :sad::frown:

GCA3N
20th August 2009, 06:07 AM
Yup - and to add to that O2 have a contract with Apple through to the end of 2012 for the iPhone. It's just the exclusivity that they are loosing.

The iPhone is about to go to the mass market I feel.

Anyway, back on topic, Baz - have you downloaded it yet? I think i'm going to hold off for the first few updates to iron out the bugs, and for them to add live content.

If you buy it now I presume you will get that anyway when the updates start coming in.

The Dogfather
20th August 2009, 06:58 AM
Sorry, I did mean exclusivity.

Smitty
20th August 2009, 02:03 PM
If you buy it now I presume you will get that anyway when the updates start coming in.

Hmmm, you'd hope, but you can never be to sure with these things!! :rolleyes: :moonie:

GCA3N
20th August 2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmm, you'd hope, but you can never be to sure with these things!! :rolleyes: :moonie:

All the other Aps have worked like that.

Hamish
20th August 2009, 03:41 PM
anyone know where you can buy the iphone cradle thing to mount on the windscreen... I had a look but couldnt see it, maybe its not available yet? Hope it is though... I'm tempted... been looking to get sat nav for ages... this is ideal!

Bazthemod
20th August 2009, 06:25 PM
Not sure who will stock cradles, could be worth a trip to Halfords as they range a fair bit of accessories. Bearing in mind retail always lags a few weeks behind!

GCA3N
20th August 2009, 07:36 PM
anyone know where you can buy the iphone cradle thing to mount on the windscreen... I had a look but couldnt see it, maybe its not available yet? Hope it is though... I'm tempted... been looking to get sat nav for ages... this is ideal!

I got a universal one from Halfords, works spot on. It does not have the dock though, I use a seperate lead

Smitty
21st August 2009, 12:38 PM

The offical TomTom dock doesn't appear to be avaible yet. Apparently it has a built in GPS booster so I'm going to wait for the price of that before I decide whther to go for a generic cradle or the TomTom one.

GCA3N
21st August 2009, 12:41 PM
The offical TomTom dock doesn't appear to be avaible yet. Apparently it has a built in GPS booster so I'm going to wait for the price of that before I decide whther to go for a generic cradle or the TomTom one.

I have not been anywhere yet and not got GPS and I live in the back of beyond.

Smitty
21st August 2009, 12:45 PM
I have not been anywhere yet and not got GPS and I live in the back of beyond.

But living in the back and beyond helps GPS....it's buildings and tunnels that screw it all up :hand: :p

I've never had to many problems with the Google maps GPS, it just sometimes a bit slow to catch up or pin point my location. And that tneds to be when i'm in the centre of a city.

The price will determine whether or not I need a GPS booster or not :yes nod:

Hamish
21st August 2009, 01:00 PM
cheers guys... yeah I'll wait til the price comes out on the TomTom cradle before making a decision.

Universal one sounds like it'd do the job nicely tho... I'm guessing a lot cheaper too haha

Allan
21st August 2009, 02:01 PM
Clintons cards are selling 2 x £15 itunes gift cards for £20. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1889581 (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1889581)

So, if you want the TomTom app that costs £60, you could take advantage of this offer and get it for £40!

Smitty
21st August 2009, 02:26 PM
Clintons cards are selling 2 x £15 itunes gift cards for £20. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1889581 (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1889581)

So, if you want the TomTom app that costs £60, you could take advantage of this offer and get it for £40!

Great deal, but seems to have ended already :sad:

Bazthemod
4th September 2009, 03:32 PM
Well i bit the bullet and went for this App, and as some people on the borders run would witnessed at first i thought it was utter garbage.

However now that i have all the settings adjusted properly and after a recent software update from parrot for my in car kit i have to say that this is a pretty sweet App!

The kit sits nicely in my current cradle which twists to put the screen in landscape mode, i can play music as normal via the parrot kit and now the Tom Tom mutes my music to give directions and cuts out again. Much slicker than turning down my stereo to hear my standalone tom tom talking to me!

The only downside is that on occasion the tracking does get a few seconds delayed and suddenly thinks you are careering through a field at the side of a road but this has only happened in areas with really poor reception

I think the app will get better and better with software updates but for now im impressed and like the fact another gadget gets cleared off my dash!

Smitty
4th September 2009, 04:18 PM
Good news - I'm sold on it now :thumbs up: Have been for a while to be honest, after reading quite a few reviews, but I'm just waiting for a journey that warrants proper Sat Nav!

Would you say the TomTom Cradle and GPS booster is worth the money Baz? I've priced up a cradle with Mikey at NMStuff and by the time you include the cradle, the no drilling mount, charging cable and and additional loop to draw power from behind the dash (to save using the cigarette lighter) I'm looking at nearly £100 quid anyway!! :eek: :eek:

Bazthemod
4th September 2009, 04:25 PM
I dont have the booster cradle just normal cradle from Mikey.

why dont you hold off, save then spend bit extra and go for a parrot kit? It is honestly the best mod i have done to the car! That way you can listen to music, charge your iphone, use tom tom and take calls all from the same device!

Costs do mount up though! I just took comfort in the fact i can take it all with me to my next mini lol :D

Smitty
4th September 2009, 05:34 PM
I've got built in parrot technology with my head unit so already got all the functionality I need there :D

And yes your right....costs do mount up, and very quickly!!!