PDA

View Full Version : Music.

Scottie
17th August 2009, 06:15 PM
You know music sounds so much better from the "old fashioned" CD than my ipod or usb stick.

GCA3N
17th August 2009, 07:10 PM
actually sounds even better on the old vinyl. For those of you old coots who still have it.(I include myself too)

The Dogfather
17th August 2009, 09:41 PM
MP3 sound quality depends on so many things, biggest thing is the bit rate when the MP3 is recorded. 192+ and you won't be able to hear the difference, however if its in the MINI I'm not sure how good the MP3 decoder is.

euan
17th August 2009, 10:03 PM
I think there is more to it than bit rate as I've noticed it's a bit "warmer" on CD, which is mad as it shouldn't really make any difference (though didn't the gadget show do a test on this recently?)

The Dogfather
17th August 2009, 10:15 PM
It must be fact that DAC is better on the CD player.

My sony walkman (MP3) is almost as good as the CD player in my Pioneer Head unit which has a '24-bit Burr-Brown Advanced Segment-Type DAC'.

Audio Advice
17th August 2009, 11:01 PM
For pure quality cd rules

But for all out convenience and flexibility the i-pod is king.

I love both ( love? aye I do :blush: )

I must admit through a real high end car cd player (Alpine F#1 OR Pioneer P90 etc;) the cd is definately cleaner and more dynamic even when i-pod transferred at highest rate. I appreciate the whole debate re that being impossible - but I (IMO) just prefer cd for pure quality especially on some of our set up and demo discs (Sheffiels labs etc;)

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2009, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know what bit rate iTunes rips CD's into your library at? And can you change it?:confused: Because that will make a major difference to the sound quality.

A.:D

illegalhunter
17th August 2009, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know what bit rate iTunes rips CD's into your library at? And can you change it?:confused: Because that will make a major difference to the sound quality.

Surely depends what quality you buy. I only ever buy 320

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2009, 11:10 PM
Surely depends what quality you buy. I only ever buy 320

How do you mean? I must admit, I'm a huge novice when it comes to ripping CD's into iTunes, only done it once. I'm talking about the physical compact discs I've bought over the years. When I rip them into iTunes what bit rate does it rip them at?

A.

Gismo
17th August 2009, 11:12 PM

A.:DYes and yes :thumbs up: :rolleyes:

Scottie
17th August 2009, 11:13 PM
For pure quality cd rules

I agree and I am a sufferer of Menieres disease my hearing is 65% of what it should be and I can tell a difference.

Gismo
17th August 2009, 11:14 PM
When I rip them into iTunes what bit rate does it rip them at?

A.If you have not set up iTunes then it's probably ripping to aac format.
You have to change it, open iTunes:-
Goto edit, select preferences, on the general tab select import settings, select the setting and either pick the highest there, 192bps or custom and get up to 320bps :thumbs up:

Gismo
17th August 2009, 11:15 PM
For pure quality cd rulesGotta disagree there, vinyl is king in the music scene :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2009, 11:21 PM
If you have not set up iTunes then it's probably ripping to aac format.
You have to change it, open iTunes:-
Goto edit, select preferences, on the general tab select import settings, select the setting and either pick the highest there, 192bps or custom and get up to 320bps :thumbs up:

Ah, shoot! So all the stuff we ripped a few weeks ago will need re-ripped if we want to "import" at the better rate?

And what's the difference between aac and 192 or 320bps?

I'm concious I've sort of hi-jacked Fi's thread regarding the quality difference between iPods and CD's but it is relevant I suppose. If Fi would prefer I'll strip the threads.:thumbs up:

A.

Gismo
17th August 2009, 11:26 PM
Andy, it's all personal taste and depends on your ears etc etc.

AAC is simply Apples version of lossless music, good enough in it's own right and there are plenty of convertors out there to rip it back again to MP3 if you want.

Bigger isn't always better :D

GAJ
17th August 2009, 11:46 PM
AAC isn't lossless, and isn't Apple technology. AAC is the successor to MP3 as part of standardised MPEG2 and MPEG4 codecs; it's generally regarded as giving a better compromise between file size and sound quality. iTunes does default to AAC.

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2009, 11:49 PM
Cheers Gaj and Alan. I have to admit, we've had the music from the iPod ramped up to very high volume levels in the red MINI and it sounds fine, so I suspect our (non audiophile) ears are happy with AAC.:thumbs up:

Gismo
18th August 2009, 12:01 AM
AAC isn't lossless, and isn't Apple technology. AAC is the successor to MP3 as part of standardised MPEG2 and MPEG4 codecs; it's generally regarded as giving a better compromise between file size and sound quality. iTunes does default to AAC.That'll be me told then :D at least i got one right :blush:

GAJ
18th August 2009, 12:02 AM
Most people think AAC is better than MP3. I rip everything to AAC at 256kpbs and it sounds fine, even through quality headphones.

GAJ
18th August 2009, 12:03 AM
That'll be me told then :D at least i got one right :blush:
:idea: ;)

Audio Advice
18th August 2009, 12:33 AM
Gotta disagree there, vinyl is king in the music scene :yes nod:

mmm- not seen many turntables in cars though sir.

I dont get listening to audio at home (a wee bit but not to any great quantity or at a significant level) - so assume everyone listens to music in the car.

Was never into vinyl but appreciate its the purists choice. Wouldnt be mine though :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2009, 12:47 AM

I dont get listening to audio at home (a wee bit but not to any great quantity or at a significant level) - so assume everyone listens to music in the car.

Was never into vinyl but appreciate its the purists choice. Wouldnt be mine though :rolleyes:

Alan, you thinking the same as me.....?

"Kids! Don't know what they're missing.":frown:

Gismo
18th August 2009, 12:52 AM
Alan, you thinking the same as me.....?

"Kids! Don't know what they're missing.":frown:

A.:DAnd am currently selling off all my vinyl now :eek: been playing it before eBaying them and they still sound fantastic :thumbs up:

euan
18th August 2009, 09:19 AM
If you want to read one mans challenge of what format to rip in, Dylan Jones wrote a book called "ipod, therefore I am" which is a slightly pretentious title but a debate we all go through once we realise our iTunes library could sound better!

I think it's even more of a case now as I know I'll never fill my ipod so I could get away with ripping it at a higher quality. When I get my new PC, I intend to start ripping a lot of my music again at the highest rate I can get away with, but I'll try a few settings before decining what way to go to see what sounds best to my ears. Everyone is different after all!.

I've still got some vinyl, though "The European Song" by Aberdeen Football Club doesn't sound great no matter what the format it's on!

RyanK
18th August 2009, 09:37 AM

x1000

Smitty
18th August 2009, 07:12 PM

Perhaps not many....but some...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1030100.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1030101.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1030102.jpg

:hand: ;) :D