PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best Smartphone to have.

Scottie
16th August 2009, 08:21 PM
Iphone 3gS

Nokia N97

HTC Hero

Palm Pre (when available)

Blackberry

Any others ??

I upgraded to the Iphone 3Gs last (via ebay)

Wish I hadn't bothered yes it's faster well it seems to be faster on the web. Video it's cool.

Camera is still:frown::frown:

Was in at CPWH to get a new pouch and took the timeto look at the other smart phones on offer. Why can't my iphone have the exterior buil quality of the HTC hero.

This has got me to thinking have I brain washed myself in to thinking the only smart phone to have is the iphone

The Dogfather
16th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Wait till October something new is coming, Android based. Wouldn't touch the N97 as its buggy.

Hero is a great phone IMO.

The Dogfather
16th August 2009, 08:32 PM
If you want an phone on Orange, like the Hero, I have a code to get you 30% of the web monthly cost.

Scottie
16th August 2009, 08:43 PM
My contract is up in January or February and I won't be renewing I've almost certainly made up my mind on that unless Apple bring out a phone that looks something along the lines of thier Mac Book Pro.

The thing I wonder though the operating systems on other phones are they as good as the iphone. I know from watching the Gadget Show they reviewed the iphone and it came in 1st place was against the N97 and another phone can't remember which one that was.

I think maybe the iphone is all about it's application and maybe not so much about how it looks and the exterior build.

Actually I would like a smartphone that you don't need to wipe the screen down every 2 mins that looks ultra cool and you don't need to be tied to a 24 month contract. Will there every be such a phone.

Scottie
16th August 2009, 08:47 PM
If you want an phone on Orange, like the Hero, I have a code to get you 30% of the web monthly cost.

can you PM me that just in case. :thumbs up:

However our work uses Vodafone for all it's mobile and landline calls and BT for broadband. We use a company that reviews what is cheapest for us to use just as we do the same for power bills.

This got me to thinking that maybe vodafone offers the best coverage and pence per minute for text calls and mobile internet .

Craig
16th August 2009, 09:02 PM
vodafone coverage in Stirling is pish... nae 3g, I can't even get a signal in my office :argh::argh:

I will be moving to O2 or Orange when my contract is up in March... A wee PM with that code Dogfather would be great... :thumbs up:

Scottie
16th August 2009, 09:08 PM
srike Vodafone then. Ok maybe try Orange

Here is the thing O2 in me house is crap on the Iphone but fine on my mums standard type mobile:frown: why should that be:confused:

Smitty
16th August 2009, 10:18 PM
Depends what you really want from a phone. Do you need anything above what the iPhone offers?

Yeah, the iPhone isn't the "smartest" of the smart phones out there but in terms of usability and interface it' streaks ahead of anything else. And nothing is going to challenge the App Store anytime soon....Apple hit that niche market pretty effectively and have it very well locked down for a few years!

Scottie
16th August 2009, 10:27 PM
I use the phone for texting and surfing the web

Smitty
16th August 2009, 10:55 PM
In that case I don't think you'll find a better phone Fi - I'm yet to see and use anything that beats Safari on the iPhone. The usability of it is streaks ahead of any other mobile browser.

I think Android will challenge it...but it's not quite there yet.

Scottie
16th August 2009, 11:02 PM
yeah you might be right one thing is for sure I'll find out as I'm not renewing my contract with O2 I'll have this iphone for four to five months sell it on and then I'm think on going with the Hero and Orange. I think they should introduce test drives scheme for mobile phones you get to take one out for a couple of hours try before you buy.:rolleyes:s

AndyP & Lenore
17th August 2009, 12:33 AM
I think they should introduce test drives scheme for mobile phones you get to take one out for a couple of hours try before you buy.:rolleyes:s

Terrific idea Fi. Would help a lot in a marketplace with lots of choices.

Personally, the iPhone is still the best phone I've ever had, for a number of reasons: texting is a doddle - despite being touch screen which I normally hate and give up on after 2 hours I love it on the iPhone, the App store is excellent, but the best thing about the iPhone is the browser; huge screen, very intuitive, love the pinch pull for zooming, and navigating is a doddle - only thing I would ask for is an "open in new window" option on links.

Mine is a bit biased opinion though, I haven't seen the Pre or the HTC Hero but I would imagine the HTC Hero is Windaes based which means it will crawl along at a snails pace as Windows mobile is the biggest pile 'o cr@p ever invented. BUT! A 2 hour test drive of a Hero would prove/disprove that opinion.

A.

GCA3N
17th August 2009, 06:15 AM
Terrific idea Fi. Would help a lot in a marketplace with lots of choices.

Personally, the iPhone is still the best phone I've ever had, for a number of reasons: texting is a doddle - despite being touch screen which I normally hate and give up on after 2 hours I love it on the iPhone, the App store is excellent, but the best thing about the iPhone is the browser; huge screen, very intuitive, love the pinch pull for zooming, and navigating is a doddle - only thing I would ask for is an "open in new window" option on links.

Mine is a bit biased opinion though, I haven't seen the Pre or the HTC Hero but I would imagine the HTC Hero is Windaes based which means it will crawl along at a snails pace as Windows mobile is the biggest pile 'o cr@p ever invented. BUT! A 2 hour test drive of a Hero would prove/disprove that opinion.

A.

100% agree, love my iphone best phone, best gadget i have ever used. :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
17th August 2009, 06:34 AM
The Hero is Android which is as good as the iphone for usability not windows mobile

Fi, the Hero will be old hat by January. In October there's a device, that I'm currently using that will be right up your street. Its Android based and will have a great setup for texting/messaging etc., it has a weighty quality feel and even the pre-production software version I have is great to use.

By the way there's a new version of Windows Mobile out at the turn of the year.

The code for Orange is produced as I request them, as long as I'm still with them just PM when you need one. One thing to note is that for 3G coverage Orange has 93% of the population (ofcom's figures) whereas O2s is 80% and Voda 85%, we are also still investing heavily in our network as well.

Scottie
17th August 2009, 08:04 AM
interesting about the time I'm due to get a new contract.

Paul have you used an iphone alongside this new phone so that you can compare each

The Dogfather
17th August 2009, 09:42 AM
I have used an iphone and its a great user interface, but there are now other options. The Android isn't quite as simplistic but you can customise it much more with widgets etc. Also there's a new version coming (cupcake) which has even more customisable features.

The integration of all the Google features is great. Transfers of pictures and contacts at the moment doesn't work. However, having said that all the Android phones I've had work with the MINI bluetooth system with the contacts appearing on the car.

The Dogfather
17th August 2009, 02:33 PM
www.gsmarena.com (http://www.gsmarena.com)

Ferengo
17th August 2009, 02:50 PM
This isn't strictly a smartphone but the Samsung Jet is supprisingly good. I had the Nokia N96 (Slow as hell) Got a free upgrade (No etension of contract) and am very impressed. Lightning fast and 3G, perfoms similarly to the iphone although as expected the browser isn't as good. Great touch screen and the clarity is the best I've seen on any mobile yet.

GCA3N
17th August 2009, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=The Dogfather;217272]. Also there's a new version coming (cupcake) which has even more customisable features.[QUOTE]

sounds like a really manly phone:p

Livi
17th August 2009, 08:01 PM
I just went and bought myself a blackberry 8900 curve as i have used the N96 for 2 months and it is absolutly bollocks!

so managed to sell the N96 for the same amount as i bought the blackberry for.

When i had the iphone 2g, i absolutly loved it and said i would get another, but at the time of renew, i couldn't justify the price for certain reason.

Scottie
18th August 2009, 10:08 PM
well Paul.

I have had the HTC Hero on trial for a day via a friend from a local call centre Big Gordy will know the local call centre. This is the G1 version.;)

I've been a iphone fan since day one and still am.

Been using the G1 via wi-fi for the moment.

Got to say this phone to handle use and all the wee extras they have thought off are brilliant. I actually find it easier to surf:eek: and getting to grips with the keyboard is just as good as iphone

I have to say iphone will need to watch the HTC and I dare others are certainly hot on their heels and in some aspects stretching ahead.

I am now looking forward to choosing me new phone in the new year.

The Dogfather
18th August 2009, 10:16 PM
Fi, there will be a Android device with a slide out keyboard which has a quality feel by then, promise.

Also, anyone who was waiting for Windows Mobile 6.5, don't get your hopes up its no iphone killer :D Been using it today on a Toshiba TG01

Scottie
18th August 2009, 10:21 PM
Paul using the phones side by side I am hard pressed to say at the moment which screen pad is best to use and if you twisted my arm I would have to say the glass on the G1 feels better/different/nicer hard to explain really.

Honestly I'm a bit gutted now that I bought the 3Gs think I suffered a bit from tunnel vision but my eyes have been opened. Until that is iphone brings out something more advanced which I think they will might be a while to wait though.

The Dogfather
18th August 2009, 10:33 PM
Which one are you using?

The G1
http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/33283585-2-440-0.gif

or the Hero

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/681/htc-hero-review.jpg

The Hero is the latest phone

Livi
18th August 2009, 10:33 PM
:off topic:

See how i am changing phones from a nokia to a blackberry, is it possible to change tarrifs on pay monthly with 02?

bit unsure as the email service would be quite handy :D :off topic:

Scottie
18th August 2009, 10:35 PM
the hero but I thought it was the G1.:confused: I assumed since he works for T mobile that it was the G1. No wonder he took his sim out and told me to buy one to use with it.:frown::frown:

Scottie
18th August 2009, 10:38 PM
it's not the colour though:confused: its grey in colour:confused:

Scottie
18th August 2009, 10:41 PM
G2:blush:

The Dogfather
18th August 2009, 10:54 PM
We have white and graphite in the office at the moment.

Scottie
22nd August 2009, 12:31 AM
Paul.

Have you had the use of the HTC Touch HD yet.

It's a mini computer and the clarity of the screen is amazing.

not used one a rep was showing it to us at work today.

The Dogfather
22nd August 2009, 02:31 AM
I owned one (yes, owned not borrowed :eek:). The touch pro 2 is more of a computer though with its keyboard.