PDA

View Full Version : courtesy car when your Mini goes in for a service

Stewart
15th August 2009, 03:11 PM
Do you get a courtesy car when your Mini goes in for a service? I take it you do…Just asking as I’m going in on Monday to book the wee car in for its first service. If they could give me an S Clubman or An S to try that would be great.

Bit cheeky but I’m putting two printed A4 pages saying please do not Valet me…….I was in today but the service desk was shut and the cars outside are in a hell of a mess…..

Also the sales guy was a bit vague as it what it involves. Does it change the oil? I’d like this done as I’m heading down to South Yorkshire next month.

Craig
15th August 2009, 03:28 PM
First service is normally an oil and filter service and thats about it. They check quite a few other things, but nothing else gets changed.

As for the courtesy car, they aren't called that anymore. It's a loan car. Some companies insure it for you and you have to pay them per day for the privilege. Others ask you to insure the car on your own insurance. (this has certainly been my experience).

My car is going into eastern on monday to get a few things fixed that should have been done before I got the car and it's costing me £10 plus VAT for every day I have their "loan car". :rolleyes::argh:

euan
15th August 2009, 03:51 PM
I always have the option of sorting my own insurance, then I get the car for free - never costs me anything on my insurance.

Also, if you've not booked a loan car they won't give you one automatically, usually if I want one it's a 3 week wait.

Livi
15th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Also the fuel you use, you will have to replace in it.

Stewart
15th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Cheers for the info the guys actually said loan car today. Should just be in for the day then if they don’t do much?

Craig
15th August 2009, 05:59 PM
Cheers for the info the guys actually said loan car today. Should just be in for the day then if they don’t do much?

The first service will take about an hour. I waited on mine once before - had it booked in for 08:30hrs and was back on the road by 10:00hrs. :thumbs up:

Stewart
15th August 2009, 06:06 PM
:thumbs up:If its just about an hour, I’ll try an grab a test drive in an S…..and be happy to hang around.

just as long as they dont wash it, I'll be happy.

dezzyS
15th August 2009, 06:57 PM
Ask them to add "DO NOT WASH/VALET" to the job sheet for your service in uppercase letters! And your idea of sticking A4 notices (to your window/steering wheel?) is a certain way to make sure they don't wash it. I've had to do that with cars before to stop dealers washing them. I don't think you're being cheeky - it's your car and you're just asking them not to wash it.

Bazthemod
16th August 2009, 01:45 AM
I never had to pay for a loan car, however it was a boggin little cooper with basic spec... but hey made me appreciate mine bit more! :D

GCA3N
16th August 2009, 06:06 AM
I never had to pay for a loan car, however it was a boggin little cooper with basic spec... but hey made me appreciate mine bit more! :D

Yup nothing can beat a twin turbo, with diffuser for sure.;)

Stewart
16th August 2009, 11:54 AM
Ask them to add "DO NOT WASH/VALET" to the job sheet.

:thumbs up:
That’s a thought.............

Greig "diffuser" is that whats its called I thought it was called the "fake bonnet scoop intake" ;)

GCA3N
16th August 2009, 12:09 PM
:thumbs up:
That’s a thought.............

Greig "diffuser" is that whats its called I thought it was called the "fake bonnet scoop intake" ;)

I'll fake yeh:ragin:, there are holes in the scoop,.....not quite sure what for but there are holes.;)

Bazthemod
16th August 2009, 12:52 PM
Yup nothing can beat a twin turbo, with diffuser for sure.;)

Haha quite ;):p

badwolf340
16th August 2009, 03:04 PM
Nope never pay for loan car ,and dealer put's it on their insurance ,and most of the time has fuel in it .and not always a MINI.:clap::clap:

ianking
16th August 2009, 03:23 PM
Got to say Eastern are always great with their courtesy cars. Perhaps I get it lucky.

Over the last couple years I think I have had

525d M sport for 1 week and only paid 1 day insurance
325d Tourer
320i Coupe Convertible
120D M Sport
118i Convertible

and when the JCW first came out they let me have it for the day when my 130i was in for something.

KenL
16th August 2009, 08:11 PM
The £10 charge is an annoyance, especially if the car is in for warranty work!

My insurer LV, provide cover for any car loaned to me by a motor trader, you don't even need to call them.

Peter Vardy gave me a car (they offered me an X3, but I took an Astra in preference) and I used my insurance.

Eastern, I think, insist that you take their insurance now. Last time I put my cat in there, they gave me a Z4. Was nice to try but I did not like it much. It was raining and it had very little road holding - been a long time since I drove a RWD car.

Funny that my Toyota dealer is part of the same group and they have not charged anything anytime I put the Aygo in for service or warranty work.

KenL
16th August 2009, 08:13 PM

How dare you describe any MINI as boggin' :hand:

Craig
16th August 2009, 08:52 PM
Got to say Eastern are always great with their courtesy cars. Perhaps I get it lucky.

Over the last couple years I think I have had

525d M sport for 1 week and only paid 1 day insurance
325d Tourer
320i Coupe Convertible
120D M Sport
118i Convertible

and when the JCW first came out they let me have it for the day when my 130i was in for something.

Fingers crossed I get any one of the above as my car is in for at least 2 days from tomorrow... :thumbs up:

Scottie
16th August 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm putting my car in for some warranty work soon don't think I'll bother with a coutesy car if you have to pay for it.

Going to use Eastern but wanted to wait until they have settled in to their new home for a wee bit going to ask for the week 24th August as I am away on me hols. What is the lead time from phoning to getting your car booked in anyone know.?

Craig
16th August 2009, 09:04 PM
I had to wait 3 weeks for a loan car - not sure about just putting it in without wanting a car. Can't see it being more than about 3-4 da:yes nod:ys

Scottie
16th August 2009, 09:10 PM
Ok been meaning to write my list of whats need looked at for the past couple of months so I'll do that tonight and phone tomorrow.

Bazthemod
16th August 2009, 10:08 PM
How dare you describe any MINI as boggin' :hand:

it was mainly due to the fact it smelt like sour milk had been sprayed all over the interior! :hand:

Stewart
17th August 2009, 04:29 PM
Car booked in for both the brake fluid service and the first service. It was actually the brake service that was flagging up on the dash with the date. Got them to add to the work sheet and the guy did it in upper caps “Do not wash or Valet” love the way they get all the info from the key fob...............

They wanted £15 for a loan car, but taking a Clubman S out for a try on a test drive then I'll sit it out till its ready.

Claire_Bear
17th August 2009, 04:32 PM
Hope you like the S. I think once you get a feel for it you'll be upgrading in no time.

Craig
17th August 2009, 04:47 PM
Well, did I get a 3 series, 5 series, Clubman, S or Coop ?

Nope, got a One with 15's on it :rolleyes: Bit of a come down in power... :laugh::laugh: At least it is a car as I am on-call for my work this week and defo need one. :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
17th August 2009, 04:55 PM
I would imagine there is a big difference from the works, I hope it all gets fixed…….. Just going to print a few “ Do Not Wash Or Valet”

GCA3N
17th August 2009, 07:28 PM
They wanted £15 for a loan car, but taking a Clubman S out for a try on a test drive then I'll sit it out till its ready.

oh oh bad choice, I did somthing similar and had to buy it. There may be less of a difference between an R56 coop and an R50 coop so it might not feel massively different for you, but it is fast. Hope you enjoy.

Just Jade
18th August 2009, 09:21 AM
Took mine to Menzies Stirling last week for its service. Loan car cost £10.00, but I was told I wasn't allowed to drive it because I'm under 25 :argh:

When we (me and mum) arrived to pick up the loan car, there was a bit of a mix up over it. After hanging about for about 20 mins waiting on them sorting something out, we ended up with a 320d Se (Coupe).

Stewart
18th August 2009, 12:54 PM
Car was bought from Menzies and if I thought they would say bring your car in and we will give you an S to try for a few hours while we service yours, I'd have taken it the 30 miles.......but Fairbairns is five minutes away.

ianking
18th August 2009, 01:04 PM
Took mine to Menzies Stirling last week for its service. Loan car cost £10.00, but I was told I wasn't allowed to drive it because I'm under 25 :argh:

When we (me and mum) arrived to pick up the loan car, there was a bit of a mix up over it. After hanging about for about 20 mins waiting on them sorting something out, we ended up with a 320d Se (Coupe).

So they will sell you a car but they wont let you drive the courtesy car, even although you were paying the £10 for insurance. Thats rediculous. Last time I would be taking my car to that dealer then.

Just Jade
18th August 2009, 02:08 PM
Yes I was a bit p*ssed off at that tbh :|

Only reason we went there was it's the nearest BMW dealer too us but I see on here the new place at Newbridge has opened, so that'll be where I go from now on ;) :thumbs:

Ferengo
21st August 2009, 08:01 AM
I have to get a loan car. Bought my car from Grassicks in Perth but I'm in Dundee. They knew I couldn't bring it in the week. So the deal is, They drive through, pick up my car, leave a loan car and then bring mine back when they're done. Never get charged for it either.

Loan cars I've had are MINI ONE, COOPER DIESEL, COOPER DIESEL CLUBMAN. Great service and the valet is good although they don;t clean the boot (No matter how many times I leave the back seats down :rolleyes:).

Claire_Bear
21st August 2009, 01:07 PM
Jade I had to wait till I was 21 before I got a courtesy car. Thankfully it was only like a week to wait but still. They are willing to sell you a car but won't give you a courtesy car?

Ridiculous!

Just Jade
21st August 2009, 09:01 PM
Jade I had to wait till I was 21 before I got a courtesy car. Thankfully it was only like a week to wait but still. They are willing to sell you a car but won't give you a courtesy car?

Ridiculous!

Hi Claire :D

Yes it was pants :( Menzies was the nearest dealership to us so we didn't have much choice. I think its Eastern thats just opened at Newbridge in the last few weeks, so we'll give them a try next time ;)

Craig
21st August 2009, 10:03 PM
I am not sure eastern is the best option. :frown:

my car went in on monday to have a few things looked at. Rattle from the engine, sunroof not opening/closing correctly, burning oil smell when accelerating hard and also the rear boot lock was not working correctly.

It's now friday and I still don't have my car back. This added to the fact that I am paying £11.50 per day for a MINI One.. :frown:

The sunroof has been fixed, they have ordered a new tailgate handle (which needs painting) and the rattle from the engine they says means a new gearbox.

The first gearbox arrived on Wed and had oil leaking from it, so it was returned. The second was due to arrive on thurs morning, but went missing in the post, but was due to arrive later yesterday. Called today for an update - guy not available, so I woudl get a call back.

Bottom line, didn't get an update, don't know when I am getting my car back and who knows if my car is getting a new gearbox or not... :frown::frown::argh:

also, my car was due to go in on Monday for the side skirts and arches to get painted (along with my paintwork getting sorted for all the scratches eastern sent it out with) but I have had to cancel this due to no update from them.. :ragin: Not happy. :frown:

Stewart
21st August 2009, 10:58 PM
(along with my paintwork getting sorted for all the scratches eastern sent it out with) . :frown:

When you say that do you mean when you viewed the Car it was fine then when you picked it up it was a mess? Or did they promise to fix the scratches etc when you were buying the car?

Car was in for about an hour and a half it needed Both the Oil and Brake and some filter….It came back thankfully not washed…but then again I had tow A4 asking them not to……….

Took a Clubman S out but only six seven miles but I could feel the difference when I accelerated, got back and my Car was ready………

Scottie
21st August 2009, 11:49 PM
fingers crossed for me then.

my car went in on monday to have a few things looked at. Rattle from the engine, sunroof not opening/closing correctly, burning oil smell when accelerating hard and also the rear boot lock was not working correctly.

It's now friday and I still don't have my car back. This added to the fact that I am paying £11.50 per day for a MINI One.. :frown:

The sunroof has been fixed, they have ordered a new tailgate handle (which needs painting) and the rattle from the engine they says means a new gearbox.

The first gearbox arrived on Wed and had oil leaking from it, so it was returned. The second was due to arrive on thurs morning, but went missing in the post, but was due to arrive later yesterday. Called today for an update - guy not available, so I woudl get a call back.

Bottom line, didn't get an update, don't know when I am getting my car back and who knows if my car is getting a new gearbox or not... :frown::frown::argh:

also, my car was due to go in on Monday for the side skirts and arches to get painted (along with my paintwork getting sorted for all the scratches eastern sent it out with) but I have had to cancel this due to no update from them.. :ragin: Not happy. :frown:

GCA3N
22nd August 2009, 06:21 AM

I am glad mini ownership is about loyalty to mini, i wonder if we never had this passion for our mini's how many of us would still be driving them. I know I would'nt. I love Mini and everything about them, you could argue that the faults are quirks of owning one, but i would disagree everytime i hear a story like this it makes me so angry, why oh why do we put up with it time and time again....oh that's right it's a mini.

Craig
22nd August 2009, 09:26 AM
When you say that do you mean when you viewed the Car it was fine then when you picked it up it was a mess? Or did they promise to fix the scratches etc when you were buying the car?

Car was in for about an hour and a half it needed Both the Oil and Brake and some filter….It came back thankfully not washed…but then again I had tow A4 asking them not to……….

Took a Clubman S out but only six seven miles but I could feel the difference when I accelerated, got back and my Car was ready………

yeah Stewart, the car was in a right mess when I viewed it before it had been prepped. I asked for all the scratches and dents to be taken care of before I got the car. "No Problem" was the answer from the sales manager. This didn't happen. They tried to fix some of the scratches, but didn't do them all (and left buffer trails ALL over the car).

My car was due to go into the a friends paintshop for the side skirts to get painted and he has agreed to polish all my paintwork and get as much of the scratches etc out for free. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Mini_Disaster
24th August 2009, 05:01 PM
Well my M3's going into Eastern next week for some warranty work and guess what...they want a tenner for the courtesy car also!:confused:

A bit of a kick in the teeth really isn't it. You pay all that money for a car and they want ten pounds when something breaks under warranty.

Is there any point in having words or are they firm about this?

Forbes
24th August 2009, 05:06 PM
JCs Aberdeen want courtesy car money aswell, to cover their insurance

Scottie
24th August 2009, 05:12 PM
my Mini will be at Eastern for some warranty work tomorrow although I have an idea they will say no fault found:argh: I just know it.

The start/stop symbol no longer lights up in the rev counter when you switch the thing off so this has to be a fault/blown bulb although the system still functions correctly.

Also when I have my aircon on the coolant fan comes on straight away even from start up when the car has been sitting over night switch the aircon off the fan goes off.

No courtesy car but will visit mcd's and watch the planes landing/taking off.:blush:

Forbes
24th August 2009, 05:20 PM
No courtesy car but will visit mcd's and watch the planes landing/taking off.:blush:

Ryan might join you:lol::Whistle:

ianking
24th August 2009, 05:57 PM
my Mini will be at Eastern for some warranty work tomorrow although I have an idea they will say no fault found:argh: I just know it.

The start/stop symbol no longer lights up in the rev counter when you switch the thing off so this has to be a fault/blown bulb although the system still functions correctly.

Also when I have my aircon on the coolant fan comes on straight away even from start up when the car has been sitting over night switch the aircon off the fan goes off.

Fi

I had the AC fault you speak of on a previous R50. It would fire up straight away then on off every 20 seconds. I worked in the Borders at the tme so took it to Selkirk when it was still open. They said no fault so took it to Eastern and they replaced a resistor on the sytem and the fan motor. It was fine after that.

Scottie
24th August 2009, 06:04 PM
Fi

I had the AC fault you speak of on a previous R50. It would fire up straight away then on off every 20 seconds. I worked in the Borders at the tme so took it to Selkirk when it was still open. They said no fault so took it to Eastern and they replaced a resistor on the sytem and the fan motor. It was fine after that.

Cheers Ian I'll write that on my wee note for them. If it's something like that is that a fix on the day or we will have to go back to get it fixed.

ianking
24th August 2009, 06:06 PM
Cheers Ian I'll write that on my wee note for them. If it's something like that is that a fix on the day or we will have to go back to get it fixed.

I wouldnt think they would keep those parts so would more than likely require a re-visit.

Scottie
24th August 2009, 06:09 PM
I wouldnt think they would keep those parts so would more than likely require a re-visit.

that's ok I don't want to spend all day tomorrow waiting on my car.:thumbs up: I have an easy fix for the moment I just don't switch my aircon on

Craig
24th August 2009, 10:01 PM
Well, my car should be coming back tomorrow...

New tail gate handle, fixed the sunroof and new clutch and gearbox fitted... :thud: All things that should have been fixed before I bought the car, but thats just my opinion. :frown: Hopefully the test drive will be all Ok and I'll get it back :thumbs up:

Hopefully they don't want £11.50 per day for the loan car as I have now had it 7 days... :rolleyes:

KenL
25th August 2009, 08:05 AM
I would be seriously objecting to paying anything for a loan car, Craig.

The car was faulty, why should you have to pay? You are already being inconvenienced!

ianking
25th August 2009, 08:39 AM
Good that they put the clutch in as well though.

GCA3N
25th August 2009, 09:02 AM
glad you have your car back craig, got to say you are loyal to Mini, don't know if I would still have one if had even half the stuff you have had to put up with. I think for me though, and probably one of the biggest reasons i never sold mine, was the the mini community. I know it does'nt really matter if you don't have a mini, but for me it would 'nt be the same, and i absolutely love going on the mini run's. Catch up with you all being well on Sunday, can't wait. This runs means even more as I hated how the last one went for me (ie because i never really felt part of the whole thing, coming in late and leaving early)

AndyP & Lenore
25th August 2009, 09:11 AM
glad you have your car back craig, got to say you are loyal to Mini, don't know if I would still have one if had even half the stuff you have had to put up with. I think for me though, and probably one of the biggest reasons i never sold mine, was the the mini community. I know it does'nt really matter if you don't have a mini, but for me it would 'nt be the same, and i absolutely love going on the mini run's. Catch up with you all being well on Sunday, can't wait. This runs means even more as I hated how the last one went for me (ie because i never really felt part of the whole thing, coming in late and leaving early)

Strange that, 'cos we all think you're an erse.:moonie::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A.:thumbs up:

GCA3N
25th August 2009, 10:48 AM
Strange that, 'cos we all think you're an erse.:moonie::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A.:thumbs up:

Thanks mate, who needs enemies eh:p:lol:

Here was me opening my heart....and wham a kick right in the knackers.

Craig
25th August 2009, 11:59 AM
well you know how i said should get my car back today. . . . They road tested it and there is am issue with the gear change. Waiting on the workshop manager driving it now. :( :(

Scottie
25th August 2009, 12:02 PM
Handed my car in @ the back of 8 this morning and got it back at 10.30 all fixed.:thumbs up:

Liking their new showroom:cool: plenty parking at this place. Although I don't know what they will do for their launch night they have over 1000 folks confirmed.

GCA3N
25th August 2009, 12:05 PM
well you know how i said should get my car back today. . . . They road tested it and there is am issue with the gear change. Waiting on the workshop manager driving it now. :( :(

gutted craig. Do you think you'll have it back for the run. If not have an empty co-piot seat, maybe even let you drive it if yer good.

Scottie
25th August 2009, 12:05 PM
You just have no luck with Minis at the moment. I'm sure they will get it fixed and the car will be top dollar.

Saw your old mini on their forecourt for £13,440 car sold as seen.

GCA3N
25th August 2009, 12:06 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:....robbing bar stewards. :frown:

Forbes
25th August 2009, 12:18 PM
Craig's Cooper?

TheDoctor46
25th August 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm going to have to book mine in AGAIN as the clutch 'whine' noise when it gets the bite is happening alot more often now!!! :argh:
This time they wont be able to tell me ''We couldnt hear any noise Sir??''
Me ''Oh right, i must just be ****ing imagining it then!!!'' :D

Scottie
25th August 2009, 02:17 PM
Craig's Cooper?

yip?

Stewart
25th August 2009, 03:53 PM
Hope you have my paint kit, sorry I mean you car back for the Sunday Run………..:thumbs up:

Craig
25th August 2009, 05:44 PM
Hope you have my paint kit, sorry I mean you car back for the Sunday Run………..:thumbs up:

yep, I have your paint kit and will bring it on sunday ;)

I have my car back.... :clap::clap::clap:

The clutch has made a MASSIVE difference to the car, the gearbox just feels the same as before (as all S boxes do) and the noise has gone. :thud::yes nod::thumbs up:

I have to say, I must be getting more tolerant as I get older as I didn't loose the rag with them at all during this last week :Whistle:

Craig
25th August 2009, 05:45 PM
yip?

are you sure? it only books at £10k. . :confused:

It was up for £10,5k and was sold within a few weeks as far as I was told. ;)

Scottie
25th August 2009, 06:01 PM
are you sure? it only books at £10k. . :confused:

It was up for £10,5k and was sold within a few weeks as far as I was told. ;)

it looked liked your old cooper and was on a English plate WJ56 I just thought it was your old one had a quick look at the price ticket on the side window and thought is said 13k something.

Craig
25th August 2009, 10:24 PM
it looked liked your old cooper and was on a English plate WJ56 I just thought it was your old one had a quick look at the price ticket on the side window and thought is said 13k something.

ah OK, not mine - it was YC56 :yes nod:

audrey
25th August 2009, 10:46 PM
Glad you have your car back all fixed :D

Hope you have better luck with it now :thumbs up: