PDA

View Full Version : Help

dellie
13th August 2009, 09:34 AM
Couldn't see if anyone else has had this problem.

We are experiencing this problem with our Mini:

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/02/mini_steering_system_failures.html

David has spoke to Mini UK and they have advised him to contact a local dealer and speak to them about it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

AndyP & Lenore
13th August 2009, 09:46 AM
Haven't had the problem ourselves, but it is a fairly common problem with the earlier models.:sad:

A.

dellie
13th August 2009, 10:10 AM
It's booked in with John Clark for next Thursday for diagnostic then they will contact Mini UK to sort out the claim, etc!

Not good when your steering goes hard and you have stitches in your arm!!!

Burple
13th August 2009, 11:29 AM
Yip, this happened to my old '03 Cooper when I had it, it was leaking fluid badly. Thankfully mine was still fully under warranty then tho! :Whistle:

Johnleiper
13th August 2009, 11:30 AM
It's booked in with John Clark for next Thursday for diagnostic then they will contact Mini UK to sort out the claim, etc!

Not good when your steering goes hard and you have stitches in your arm!!!

Very common problem

Its caused by the pump overheating. Later models (cooperS mostly) are fitted with a cooling fan.

I had mine replaced under warrentee, but you can buy reconditioned units

Livi
13th August 2009, 11:45 AM
Very common problem

Its caused by the pump overheating. Later models (cooperS mostly) are fitted with a cooling fan.

I had mine replaced under warrentee, but you can buy reconditioned units

Mine is an 05 and i just recently had the PASP replaced just before i bought it.

Ally S
13th August 2009, 01:15 PM
What age is your mini as

"BMW say that in January 2005 a modification was made to the pump supplied with all new Minis which virtually eradicated the issue"

not sure if that just applies to the electrical issue or not though

Livi
13th August 2009, 01:16 PM
Mine was Jan 2005 (week 2) build.

dellie
13th August 2009, 01:41 PM
what age is your mini as

"bmw say that in january 2005 a modification was made to the pump supplied with all new minis which virtually eradicated the issue"

not sure if that just applies to the electrical issue or not though

ianking
13th August 2009, 02:03 PM
Even if they dont cover it a recon pump can be had for much less than a new one and its a doddle to fit.

Voodoo
13th August 2009, 02:34 PM
Reading a lot of sites it seems like a lot of Mini's are effected, it looks like Mini UK are willing to compensate people with discount off the repair. There is meant to be about 225,000 minis with the possible fault but Mini UK won't issue a recall.

Johnleiper
13th August 2009, 11:29 PM
your dealer will often cover some of the cost in goodwill.

Its the electrohydraulic pumps on earlier cars that were the worst

dellie
10th September 2009, 12:39 PM
Mini offered us £200 towards the cost of the part

As we still had used car warranty with another garage the car went there and got it back last night all fixed - they even hoovered my carpet for me!

All it cost us was £106 to BMW for the diagnostics and the loan car - thank goodness for warranty!