PDA

View Full Version : Perseid meteor shower

AndyP & Lenore
12th August 2009, 07:19 PM
Question for Allan.... (Fi, can you pass this on)

What time of night is gonna be best to see this tonight?

A.

ELFMAN
12th August 2009, 07:50 PM
After dark Andy....

dezzyS
12th August 2009, 08:16 PM
Last night would have been best, but unfortunatly the damn clouds were out! Grrrr. And Glasgow street lighting didn't help either.

Best time tonight will be as early as possible, as soon as it gets dark.

Scottie
12th August 2009, 08:23 PM
the main activity for the perseid is between the 17 July to 24th of this month peaking in early afternoon of the 12th August so the nights of the 11th and 12th could see observed hourly rates of about one metor a minute

On the 12th (today) the 1862 meteoroid trail (a dense cloud of meteoroids that boiled off Comit Swift/Tuttle in 1862) passes close to the Earths orbit around 6am BST, possibly adding an 10 to the ZHR.

from anytime as it's high up in the northern hemisphere but I would until about one and half hours after sunset.

today is the 12th you might get to see a bit southern delta aquariids you need to watching between one and two in the morning.

editied by Allan as Fi gave the wrong information:frown::frown:

AndyP & Lenore
12th August 2009, 09:11 PM
the main activity for the perseid is between the 17 July to 24th of this month peaking in early afternoon of the 12th August so the nights of the 11th and 12th couls see observed hourly rates of about one metor a minute

from anytime as it's high up in the northern hemisphere but I would until about one and half hours after sunset.

today is the 12th you might get to see a bit southern delta aquariids you need to watching between one and two in the morning.

editied by Allan as Fi gave the wrong information:frown::frown:

Cheers Allan. I started to reply with Fi's original post 'cos it didn't make sense as the news were saying tonight was best so was confused. But then I'm easy confused.

Will have a wee drive up to Scot's view tonight and see what I can see.

A.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
12th August 2009, 09:12 PM
After dark Andy....

Smart :moonie:

Scottie
12th August 2009, 09:14 PM
Cheers Allan. I started to reply with Fi's original post 'cos it didn't make sense as the news were saying tonight was best so was confused. But then I'm easy confused.

Will have a wee drive up to Scot's view tonight and see what I can see.

try being married to her:frown::laugh: confused it's not the half of it:p

I'm heading up to the monument at the Hill of Rue this evening should be a few of us there if any locals want to join they would be more than welcome:thumbs up:

Big Gordy
12th August 2009, 09:14 PM
I'll be sitting oot the back with a beer watching:thumbs up:

Scottie
12th August 2009, 09:16 PM
I'll be sitting oot the back with a beer watching:thumbs up:

you might be ok at your bit but to many street lights.

dezzyS
13th August 2009, 12:17 AM
Just back from meteor watching up the Eaglesham Moors road near Glasgow. Saw quite a few :D

Not the most prolific meteor shower I've seen though. Saw a few spectacular ones back when I was studying Astronomy at uni.

Don't know if anyone has been following the meteorwatch project on Twitter. It was set up by my mate who is running this year's International Year of Astronomy for the entire UK . . . they were top Twitter trending topic last night! They even beat Miley Cyrus to the top spot! hehe :D

Scottie
13th August 2009, 12:30 AM
It was set up by my mate who is running this year's International Year of Astronomy for the entire UK :D

Who would that be??

Allan.

dezzyS
13th August 2009, 12:51 AM
Steve Owens. Not sure of his official title but I believe his role is to coordinate all the IYA events throughout the UK - outreach events/etc. He's Glasgow based but I'm sure the role is UK-wide. I used to work with him in the planetarium at Glasgow Science Centre.

Was texting him tonight and he seemed to be busy with all the Twitter stuff again . . . maybe they'll be no.1 trend on twitter again!

Why do you ask? Do you know him?

Scottie
13th August 2009, 07:49 AM
yeah I know him met him a couple of times up at Inverness. His talk a very good especially to the kids and adults:thumbs up::thumbs up:

dezzyS
13th August 2009, 08:02 AM
yeah I know him met him a couple of times up at Inverness. His talk a very good especially to the kids and adults:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Ah, cool. :thumbs up: He's from Inverness area originally. Was he just up there doing some talks?

Yeah, he's really knowledgeable and great at putting things across to a "joe public" audience. He was on Radio Scotland the past two mornings to talk about the Perseids but I was still in bed and missed it hehe. Doh!

I knew him at uni . . . he was a demonstrator in my lab and observatory sessions when I was an undergraduate and he was a postgrad. Worked with him at the science centre and he stayed on there when I left to move into the world of IT, but we stayed friends. He ran the planetarium there for a while and I was really chuffed when he got the IYA position. He's a top bloke :thumbs up:

Scottie
13th August 2009, 08:08 AM
do you know John Braithwaite?

Big Gordy
13th August 2009, 08:28 AM
Well I sat out last night to try and spot some meteors:thumbs up: Worked my way through about 6 bottles of beer before I started to see any.....hic :beer::beer::thud::lol:

dezzyS
13th August 2009, 09:09 AM
do you know John Braithwaite?

Don't recognise the name, sorry.

AndyP & Lenore
13th August 2009, 09:45 AM
MrsP and I went up Scot's View last night, well away from the lights of the local towns. Unfortunately, so did half of The Borders population, so with the constant coming and going of cars it was difficult to see much, but we did see about 8 meteors. I wouldn't say our lives have been changed for the better, but it was interesting to see.