PDA

View Full Version : Racist Or not...???

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
11th August 2009, 08:27 PM
Settle a dispute...

My wife says its not P.C.to say I'm going for a "Chinky"...

She says its Racist.... :confused:

I would never consider calling a Chinese person a Chinky, but since a very young age have called a take away a Chinky.. To me it is slang for a Chinese meal...

Who is wrong....?????

AndyP & Lenore
11th August 2009, 08:36 PM
I'd tend to agree with your Mrs.

I used to call a chinese takeaway a Chinky all the time, but as I've grown up and become more sensitive to what is socially acceptable, I must admit I now always refer to it as a "Chinese" rather than a Chinky. All IMHO.

A.:D

stoney
11th August 2009, 08:36 PM
you are wrong and your wife is right tho it pains me to say it

i do the same thing and call it a chinky but it is a Racist

illegalhunter
11th August 2009, 08:37 PM
P.C is the problem

Scottie
11th August 2009, 08:38 PM
I'd tend to agree with your Mrs.

I used to call a chinese takeaway a Chinky all the time, but as I've grown up and become more sensitive to what is socially acceptable, I must admit I now always refer to it as a "Chinese" rather than a Chinky. All IMHO.

H'mm so you go about now saying that you fancy a Chinese tonight !!!!! yikes:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: :p:p:p

the world is to PC correct nowadays. IMHO. but thats just the way it is I guess.

GCA3N
11th August 2009, 08:38 PM
The problem is the world (well the Brits more) it had gone totally pc. Like u I say chinky too always have done. Does that in itself make me racist... No. But the powers at be would like u to think that. Me myself think that the whole pc thing has gone to far, I mean I got pulled up once for saying getting down to the nitty gritty. To many folks hung up on this sort of stuff, if a chinese person was to find it offensive if you said it to them then there may be an argument, however even that could be argued. Tell the Missus to chill there are more important things to worry about.

sedgie
11th August 2009, 08:50 PM
Well we always go for a "chinkie" & oops we still go to the "paki" shop!:blush:

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
11th August 2009, 08:57 PM
My argument is that anything can be racist in the context it is said...

It doesn't have to be slang or an abbreviation of another word...

I'm not a racist, but because I say Chinky to describe a meal I am..

The world has gone mad....!!!! :moonie::argh:

GCA3N
11th August 2009, 08:58 PM

That's the thing paki is short for Pakistani. Scot is short for Scottish would I be offended being called a scot.

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
11th August 2009, 09:03 PM
That's the thing paki is short for Pakistani. Scot is short for Scottish would I be offended being called a scot.

Just what I was about to post...

Aussie for Australian
Scot for Scottish
Yank for American
Paddy for Irish..
Jock for Scottish..

The list goes on...

I feel a real soap box moment coming on.... :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
11th August 2009, 09:03 PM
H'mm so you go about now saying that you fancy a Chinese tonight !!!!! yikes:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: :p:p:p

the world is to PC correct nowadays. IMHO. but thats just the way it is I guess.

Fi, I tend to agree, the world is probably too PC at times.

But put it in context, "What do you fancy for dinner tonight, Indian, Italian, Chinese?" Nothing wrong with any of those. As opposed to "What do you fancy for dinner tonight, Indian, Italian or Chinky?" It just seems.... wrong to me.:confused:

Gismo
11th August 2009, 09:05 PM
And this is a topic that always raises questions, of course the world has gone mad and the PC brigade are out to get us all, sad thing is, anything that remotely causes any offence to any individual will be classed as racist.

As owner of NMS i have to make certain decisions to ensure the site complies with all aspects of racism, whether it's legit or not or just close to the bone

GCA3N
11th August 2009, 09:08 PM
And this is a topic that always raises questions, of course the world has gone mad and the PC brigade are out to get us all, sad thing is, anything that remotely causes any offence to any individual will be classed as racist.

As owner of NMS i have to make certain decisions to ensure the site complies with all aspects of racism, whether it's legit or not or just close to the bone

Think you are right Alan that sould be the last word before someone says something out of turn.

Scottie
11th August 2009, 09:11 PM
Fi, I tend to agree, the world is probably too PC at times.

But put it in context, "What do you fancy for dinner tonight, Indian, Italian, Chinese?" Nothing wrong with any of those. As opposed to "What do you fancy for dinner tonight, Indian, Italian or Chinky?" It just seems.... wrong to me.:confused:

Oh right we're talking food:p;);):p

AndyP & Lenore
11th August 2009, 09:15 PM
Oh right we're talking food:p;);):p

:moonie:

Scottie
11th August 2009, 09:16 PM
:moonie:

:laugh:

The Dogfather
11th August 2009, 09:20 PM
I think it comes down to whether the term has been used in a derogatory way previously.

Scot isn't a derogatory term, whereas Jock could be viewed that way, I would also suggest that paddy is the same for the Irish. If its meant in a derogatory way then its racist so a chinky, as in a meal probably isn't racist but the same word used about a person would be.

The abbreviated form of Pakistani would always be viewed as racist.

Scottie
11th August 2009, 09:26 PM
well Allan was called "wee jock" in the Army for years and he didn't mind one bit even though he was 6ft 3. Big Jock was a wee guy 5ft 4

thats the Army for you. You would shocked with the nicknames in the army but no ones minds.

Also just for point of interest my nephew who works out in Saudi for Sony Ericsson has several Pakistani work under him and not one of them mind being called a Paki.

GCA3N
11th August 2009, 09:28 PM
well Allan was called "wee jock" in the Army for years and he didn't mind one bit even though he was 6ft 3. Big Jock was a wee guy 5ft 4

thats the Army for you. You would shocked with the nicknames in the army but no ones minds.

Also just for point of interest my nephew who works out in Saudi for Sony Ericsson has several Pakistani work under him and not one of them mind being called a Paki.

most folks don't mind this stuff it is the minority that do.

illegalhunter
11th August 2009, 09:30 PM
I read this thread AND THINK HOW IRONIC

Gismo
11th August 2009, 10:07 PM
I read this thread AND THINK HOW IRONICWell, sine you've mentioned it and as you are the worst offender at
close to the bone type racist jokes, you would find it ironic.
Other than those jokes i'm struggling to think of any other thing you actually bring to NMS :Whistle:

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
11th August 2009, 10:11 PM
most folks don't mind this stuff it is the minority that do.

You got it, in a democratic world it is the minority that rule...

And as a member of the usually silent majority, who am I to speak... :hand:

After having a couple of bottles of Aussie, sorry, Australian Red, I'm off to bed...

AndyP & Lenore
11th August 2009, 10:12 PM
I read this thread AND THINK HOW IRONIC

Just spat my juice all over my keyboard.:eek::eek::eek:

Craig
11th August 2009, 10:41 PM
I think what everyone has to remember is that the law (however wrong or otherwise) states that if you perceive any comments to be racist towards you, then they must be treated as such. So if someone calls be a Jock and I take it as racist, then it has to be treated as that.

All I would say is that as a family forum, and taking into consideration that everything on here is in writing, I would be very careful what you put down in text as it could be used against you by someone. . . :argh:

As for racist type jokes or ones that are close to the bone, I will delete them and let the person who posted it know. We all like a laugh, but not in that way... :yes nod:

Just my thoughts.. :computer:

Ferengo
12th August 2009, 11:01 AM
You guys should work where I do. I work for a Muslem founded company and the amount of racist slures going around beggers belief. No-one takes it as an insult as it's all done in very good humour but I cannot bring myself to join in, I mean to an outsider they'd die of shock if they heard what goes back and forth between people here.

I think there is a fine line between slang, humour and racism and every situation has it's different outcome.

When I go down to visit my wifes family down in England there has been a few Scottish jokes hurled around but I take it in good humour, but everyone's different.

badwolf340
12th August 2009, 10:12 PM
P.C is the problem
+ 1

badwolf340
12th August 2009, 10:17 PM
:hand::hand::hand::hand:

KenL
12th August 2009, 10:33 PM
I think it comes down to whether the term has been used in a derogatory way previously.

Scot isn't a derogatory term, whereas Jock could be viewed that way, I would also suggest that paddy is the same for the Irish. If its meant in a derogatory way then its racist so a chinky, as in a meal probably isn't racist but the same word used about a person would be.

The abbreviated form of Pakistani would always be viewed as racist.

I almost agree with you :thumbs up:

I used to be a student with a Chinese guy who absolutely hated the term "chinky", he really felt it was derogatory.

That in itself might not make it racist, but is enough to tell me it is not right.

I don't like the term "Jock", but people in the forces are pehaps comfortable with it (I think that is where it came from). But, people referring to any Scot as a Jock or even worse a "sweaty sock" is racist IMO.

People who think saying a "paki" shop is OK are wrong. The fact that people need to refer to the shop by the ethnic background of the person who owns it or works there makes it racist. Its a shop, there is no need to call it anything else!

badwolf340
13th August 2009, 08:08 PM
At work today ,I was talking to one of our client's ,who is a Pakistani and he himself call's his fellow friend's P***s.Is this racist or allright for him.????.He him self has been abused by people ,and he say's, can tell the difference when used in good humour or not.:frown::frown:

sedgie
13th August 2009, 08:20 PM
I know i'm bad by calling it a paki shop....but :eek:a long time when i was a lass:rolleyes: and lived in dundee my mum & dad used to say to me go to the paki's for milk!...so i suppose it has just stuck:blush:

badwolf340
13th August 2009, 08:23 PM
I know i'm bad by calling it a paki shop....but :eek:a long time when i was a lass:rolleyes: and lived in dundee my mum & dad used to say to me go to the paki's for milk!...so i suppose it has just stuck:blush:

No excuse Lesley go and sit in the corner.:hand::hand:

sedgie
13th August 2009, 08:24 PM
Ok...i'm bad!:blush::yes nod::sad:

KenL
13th August 2009, 09:40 PM

Yes my folks are the same, doesn't make it right though.

Gismo
14th August 2009, 12:41 AM
What goes around goes around, it's one thing talking about it at work and joking about it etc, but, to put it into type talk on an online forum i have to deal with it

Ferengo
14th August 2009, 09:59 AM
At work today ,I was talking to one of our client's ,who is a Pakistani and he himself call's his fellow friend's P***s.Is this racist or allright for him.????.He him self has been abused by people ,and he say's, can tell the difference when used in good humour or not.:frown::frown:

That's exactly what I mean. Everyone at my work does it but it's all in jest. I think it depends on the persons and the situation. I still shudder when they do it though.

doogz__
14th August 2009, 04:50 PM
I don't like the word Chinky, one of my best mates Yuen is chinese, and it offends him, well, it's not that it offends him, but it has been used against him in a derogatory manner, so he strongly dislikes it.

Something that annoys me, is a program i seen a while back on the bbc about racism, and there was this pakistani lad, saying that "paki" is racist, then 2 minutes later saying that the word "paki" sounds like the pakistani word for "clean" so he thought it was ok. Make up your mind either way!

C.Noble
14th August 2009, 05:42 PM
My personal experience on this one...

I have twice worked down in Englandshire and on both occasions "Jock" became my nickname, it NEVER offended me, and it was never used on me to cause offence.

When you are in a community (workplace, forces, etc) and you are a minority for any reason (skin colour, appearence, hair colour, eye shape, accent, sex, etc), that "difference" is going to mark you out from everyone else... fact. You will NEVER convince 200 school kids to "not notice" the one black guy in the school is not the same colour as them for example, and nicknames generated from this difference I dont see as wrong, I knew I was going to be called "Jock", if I had thought it was going to be an issue, I would not have moved to England, to be honest, I was proud to be "Jock"... it beat being English! :moonie:

That said, although being called "jock" by mates and colleagues was expected, I would have found it rude to be called that by a total stranger or someone who only knew me on a proffesional level.

When introduced to "Richard" in a formal meeting for the first time, you wouldnt respond "Alright Dick, how you doing?" would you?

Nicknames are fine, so long as they are recieved in the jovial manner they were used in and in the company of friends.

IMO.