PDA

View Full Version : Crail Looneys??

Julz
16th May 2004, 05:23 AM
Now, I know this idea has been thrown about a few times before, but after a track day at Crail today with the Porsche Club, I think this would be great! (except BabyB can't go round for fear of losing £4k bodykit:().
The event today was held by the Boxster Club but there was quite a selection of cars.

Therefore, I want to test the water again to see what people think, I would actually aim at an NMS and friends day, so if you have any friends that might fancy bringing their car along, it ain't a problem (mainly just so Rob and his idiot friend Mark can come!)

The novel continues.... will only seriously look into this if I get a good response, but the deal the the PC was £35 per car, for the day (11am to 4pm) open use of the huge and rather fun circuit, the wet oval for a wee bit of fun, quad bikes and there is also teaching available (on how to drive on the track, not maths and geography)!!

Now, there was about 20 cars there today and the track always seemed quiet, regardless of numbers as it's quite big, the track is wide, allowing for the odd mistake and will enable you to gain confidence in your car by learning it's limits, which Rob has greatly benefited from and thinks it's well worth it!!

So, if anyone has actually stayed awake to read all this, what do you think?????;):D
Answers on a postcard please to;
Are You Nuts, My Car Cost Too Much, My Mum Won't Let Me, PH435 9NHYG, Scotland

GAJ
16th May 2004, 06:46 AM
Sounds like a great day but I am far too chicken to take my car on the track! I would come along for a look though!

minidriver#1
16th May 2004, 07:05 AM
people should check out their insurance cover first. My uncles mate wrote off a £45,000 m3 on a track down south and never got anything for it because the insurance didnt cover track days. harsh.

Fontal
16th May 2004, 04:53 PM
Im up for it :D Ill see if some of my mates from up here would be willing to come.

Julz
16th May 2004, 05:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Sounds like a great day but I am far too chicken to take my car on the track! I would come along for a look though!

Definately, spectators are more than welcome!!:cool:

Gismo
16th May 2004, 05:57 PM
It goes without saying that insurance will be a major factor in many peoples participation, myself included.
This very topic has been discussed on many MINI2 threads, so, could i ask if insurance is provided by the Crail track owners themselves, or will it be a personal thing and what did Rob do for his run, are you aware of any companies who supply the insurance and at what cost????

I'm sure we could all recount some experience of cars being lost on race tracks due to no insurance, but, with the correct insurance to hand i'm sure an excellent days driving fun can be had.

Aside from all that i am keen to test out my car on the track depending on dates etc

Duncan Stewart
17th May 2004, 03:58 AM
I'm up for it with appropriate insurance.

macblob
17th May 2004, 07:08 AM
Id be up for coming to watch or maybe get on the track depending on the old insurance

Willie M
17th May 2004, 03:15 PM
Would certainly be up for this, would be interested in taking Chunk Daisy out for a wee play on the track :D

Julz
17th May 2004, 03:44 PM
Wellllll..... Crail don't provide insurance themselves, and as far as I'm aware, out of the 20 or so Porsches at Crail on saturday, 99.9% of them didn't have insurance for track days, Rob included. According to the guy who sorts the hose on the drifting oval, there are very few accidents on the track as the track itself is about 15m wide, unlike Knockhill where there is very little allowance for error. Also, he did mention that any accidents at Crail tend to happen on the neaby public road (:eek:;)).

It's up tp the individual, possibly if you want to check with your own insurance company if this is a worry for you! The one thing I will emphasise on us that this in no way would form any kind of race, individuals can enter and exit the track as and when they wish and can go as fast or slow as they wish, it's just an opportunity to play, and Rob has certainly calmed his driving on road as he feels he's got the silliness out of his system (until Wednesday when he's at Knockhill!!:p)

3GGG
17th May 2004, 03:50 PM
quote: Also, he did mention that any accidents at Crail tend to happen on the neaby public road ().

(If he mean't allegedly happen):evil:

Insurance companies and breakdown rescue companies have got wise to this - they won't fall for that.

phantom
18th May 2004, 03:04 AM
Sorry Julz, this one aint for me.

Davidson2
29th May 2004, 07:28 AM
Julz, there is an insurance company that does track day events, I had it before for some performance driver training down souwf. If I remember correctly, it covered about £2.5m, between medical, hitting cars, people, animals, buildings, Schumacher...etc... Im going to try find the old documents now, but think it was about £45 for the day... definately brought peace of mind though :D

Davidson2
29th May 2004, 07:39 AM
Herts Insurance Company: 0845-129-0290

Julz
29th May 2004, 06:12 PM
Perfect, cheers D2, will take a note of that number as Rob has another track day coming up at Knockhill!!;):D