PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy tires?

bazzaric
7th August 2009, 10:34 PM
Not sure if this is the right section, or indeed if it is a problem with the car or my driving :argh:

Whenever there is light rain or if I'm accelerating up a hill (not a steep one, just coming off a roundabout or something) then the yellow triangle comes on, the car starts juddering and gliding side to side. It doesn't seem to handle wet weather at all. The tyres seem ok, with a good bit of tread left on them??

Can I completely turn off that yellow triangle thingy? It only comes on when the car is doing the above. I haven't turned the switch permanently on or anything.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but it was actually a bit dangerous the other day so i'm a bit concerned.

Also, there's an absolutely horrible screeching wining noise when I take off from standing, it's really hard to impress people when sitting in a queue of traffic!! It's so loud that people around 50 yards away turn round and look. Ive had the wheels/brakes off twice and had all the brake pads replaced etc, I know that's not relevant, but it does sound like the axels or something??

Craig
7th August 2009, 10:46 PM
you can get a whining noise from your clutch and this has been noted by others in the past. Not sure of your cars age, but this may mean the the clutch is on it's way out.

as for the yellow light, sounds like your traction control. Could be dodgy tyres as your title says. The really cheap makes are very hard and have very little grip in the wet, so can make the car wheel spin and drag you all over the road. What make are they?

Hope this helps and really do hope it aint the clutch as it ain't cheap. :rolleyes:

bazzaric
7th August 2009, 11:17 PM
not sure on the tyre type, will find out tomorrow. It's a 53 plate cooper S. The tyres are runflats. I can take off from standing in 1st or second and it makes the same ridiculous noise! I used to have that when starting and my brakes when stopping! Luckily the brakepads being changed fixed that.

Thinking of selling so really need to get whatever it is sorted. Got my eye on a new clubman

Ally S
20th August 2009, 08:48 PM
could be that the tyres are worn on the inside

bazzaric
20th August 2009, 09:39 PM
think it's the clutch...only seems to make the noise in first gear when at the 'biting point'...

the traction problems could be the tyres I suppose. How much to replace the 4 corners with standard 17" S-Spokes?

Gismo
21st August 2009, 03:17 PM
The noise is more likely to be the release bearing combined with a failing clutch

Claire_Bear
21st August 2009, 06:46 PM
The exact same thing is happening to me! I wondered what the hell it was? It's always at the biting point as you say. I recently had the cylinder eh thingy ma bob changed in the clutch. But it's been like 2 months or so since that. So now I heard like a screechy whiney noise.

I agree, not very good when your trying to impress.

Also. I have a tyre problem, the yellow triangle thingy I assumed was the traction control. I'd keep that on bud :D

Get a decent set on tyres on it and it should be fine. At the moment I'm running on three different makes. God knows what the previous owner had in mind!? Think she was going for a different tyre on every wheel. Madness!!

Good luck getting it fixed.

I'm taking mine to a local guy I know tomorrow. I'll update you on the screechy outcome.

bazzaric
21st August 2009, 06:51 PM
The exact same thing is happening to me! I wondered what the hell it was? It's always at the biting point as you say. I recently had the cylinder eh thingy ma bob changed in the clutch. But it's been like 2 months or so since that. So now I heard like a screechy whiney noise.

I agree, not very good when your trying to impress.

Also. I have a tyre problem, the yellow triangle thingy I assumed was the traction control. I'd keep that on bud :D

Get a decent set on tyres on it and it should be fine. At the moment I'm running on three different makes. God knows what the previous owner had in mind!? Think she was going for a different tyre on every wheel. Madness!!

Good luck getting it fixed.

I'm taking mine to a local guy I know tomorrow. I'll update you on the screechy outcome.

perfect, thanks!

baptie
21st August 2009, 06:51 PM
I have been getting that wee yellow light chappy coming on, I took it that I was driving like a fud!

Never used to in my trusty 1.4HDi....

Claire_Bear
22nd August 2009, 03:36 PM
Sorry to disappoint but the clutch "problem" was the last thing on my mind today. It did get the once over and he said there was no problems at all. Just that its pulling to the left (but thats a whole other story)

For the time being invest in a nice set of new tyres. Treat your mini! Lol. Lay off the accelerator and take it easy in the wet and that little flashing yellow triangle won't come on.