PDA

View Full Version : coolant

G19RNT
3rd August 2009, 07:28 PM
hi i've noticed in the last couple of months my car seems to be using quite a lot of coolant think i've had to fill it up about 4 or 5 times with no noticeable leaks cars warranty is up next month so will have to get it looked at soon was just wondering if its a common fault

GCA3N
3rd August 2009, 07:38 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last year in my r50 cooper. Topped it up about 4-5 times in a month or so. Then came back to it one day to find it was empty with a big puddle underneath. It turned out to be a corroded radiator pipe. Needed new radiator in the end. The garage said they had done a few mini's, apparently it was quite common. I would suggest though with yours, especially if you are not seeing anything, it may be the head gasket. Hope that helps a bit

Mini Ecosse
3rd August 2009, 09:50 PM
hi i've noticed in the last couple of months my car seems to be using quite a lot of coolant think i've had to fill it up about 4 or 5 times with no noticeable leaks cars warranty is up next month so will have to get it looked at soon was just wondering if its a common fault

I am having the same problem at the moment:eek:

Going in for MOT and inspection in two weeks time.

Want to get this sorted before warranty expires at end of month.

Ally S
3rd August 2009, 10:44 PM
a common issue is the thermostat. i had mine replaced. although im still using coolant but there are no puddles.

glad you posted, i'll need to check mine in the morning

Craig
3rd August 2009, 11:41 PM
had this fault in my 56 coop. It was the thermostat. ;)

Sheilz
6th August 2009, 01:33 AM
Can a tiny hole in the coolant system plug itself? Reason I ask is that after his second last major service specy seemed to be going through a lot of coolant temp gauge sitting bang in the middle. We put it down to maybe the garage haivng used cheaper stuff that had evaporated. Got some good stuff and problem disappeared. When car was in for its MOT last week mechanic said that the radiator was rotten - think that was bit of an exaggeration - with the front covered in a pink fungus. The good coolant was pink in colour so I think if its possible that the hole which must've been tiny had sealed itself. Found it bizarre but hadnt investigated further coz the prob appeared to sort itself.

Ally S
8th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Can a tiny hole in the coolant system plug itself? Reason I ask is that after his second last major service specy seemed to be going through a lot of coolant temp gauge sitting bang in the middle. We put it down to maybe the garage haivng used cheaper stuff that had evaporated. Got some good stuff and problem disappeared. When car was in for its MOT last week mechanic said that the radiator was rotten - think that was bit of an exaggeration - with the front covered in a pink fungus. The good coolant was pink in colour so I think if its possible that the hole which must've been tiny had sealed itself. Found it bizarre but hadnt investigated further coz the prob appeared to sort itself.

i guess it could if its a small hole. you can get sealant that you put in the system that plugs small holes.

lowrider
12th August 2009, 10:01 PM
my 2002 cooper was doing this for a while but seems to have fixed itself. How can a faulty thermostat cause coolant loss?

Ferengo
14th August 2009, 09:45 AM
Well I've just noticed mine doing the same thing. Have needed to top it up 4 times in the last 6 days. So I booked it into John Clark Dundee. They pressure tested it and said there was no fault and topped up the coolant.

Next day back it's down to minimum, so I called them back and was told that this is normal and what I need to do is keep putting water in until I don't need to put water in again, and if it doesn't sort itself out in a week to call back.

I don't think this sounds right, does anyone else?

Ally S
14th August 2009, 10:09 AM
Well I've just noticed mine doing the same thing. Have needed to top it up 4 times in the last 6 days. So I booked it into John Clark Dundee. They pressure tested it and said there was no fault and topped up the coolant.

Next day back it's down to minimum, so I called them back and was told that this is normal and what I need to do is keep putting water in until I don't need to put water in again, and if it doesn't sort itself out in a week to call back.

I don't think this sounds right, does anyone else?

I think this is normal as mine was like that. I had a leak and got air in the system and had to top it up every so often as the air slowly got expelled.

Ferengo
14th August 2009, 11:06 AM
I think this is normal as mine was like that. I had a leak and got air in the system and had to top it up every so often as the air slowly got expelled.

I called Grassicks anyway and the guy laughed. He said to book it in so it is. If it's nothing then cool, but if it is it'll get fixed.

Ally S
20th August 2009, 08:52 PM
my 2002 cooper was doing this for a while but seems to have fixed itself. How can a faulty thermostat cause coolant loss?

it leaks

Ferengo
27th August 2009, 03:41 PM
Well it turns out I need a new raidiator and dash vent. So I have a Dooper on loan for the moment, sweet ride actually.

ianking
27th August 2009, 04:07 PM
The way I was always taught to get rid of air in the sytem after a fluid change, or pipe change is to fill the car up as much as you can then start it up and get it running hot with the filler cap off the radiator or expansion bottle and as the water heats right up it boils the air out. You can fill the water to the correct level as this happens. Much better than letting the customer take the car away and monitor/top up themselves.

Ferengo
27th August 2009, 04:59 PM
The way I was always taught to get rid of air in the sytem after a fluid change, or pipe change is to fill the car up as much as you can then start it up and get it running hot with the filler cap off the radiator or expansion bottle and as the water heats right up it boils the air out. You can fill the water to the correct level as this happens. Much better than letting the customer take the car away and monitor/top up themselves.

That's JC's for you. I've had nothing but problems from them from the day I tried to buy the car from them. Ended up having to go to Grassicks and can't complain about them at all. Think I will always go back there now even though JC's is right across the road from my work. That's just my personal experience of them though, excluding David and Shealene of course, they're both stars :thumbs up:.