PDA

View Full Version : Boot Latch

koolsville
30th July 2009, 09:53 PM
Just a couple of weeks as a Mini owner and I've hit my first snag.

The 'boot open' warning light came on as I drove off after filling up at the petrol station - I swear the boot was closed correctly, had not been opened that day at all, so I pulled over and lo-and-behold the boot was open!

Same thing happened when my Mrs had the car out today, so now I'm thinking its a faulty latch.

I've looked at other Mini forums where similar problems have been noted - but I can't find a fix anywhere, other than return to the dealer.

I like to tinker with my cars if its not to technical, is there a layman's remedy or am I heading back to the 2nd hand car lot with my pride and joy!

I did get a 3 month warranty.

Gordon

C.Noble
30th July 2009, 10:19 PM
My first suspicion would be water ingress in the tailgate op switch (the one you press/pull above the number plate).

Personally, I think you should take it back to the guys who sold you the car... that is what the warranty is for, but if they give you the runaround, or you feel you can handle this one, hope this helps.

It is relatively easy to diagnose, simply remove the rear trim from inside the tailgate and unplug the switch and use it for a few days... if it still does it, it is not the switch, if the tailgate stays shut, you have probably got it.

Just in case you dont know, to open the tailgate again with the switch disconnected, you will have to use the manual override, lift the rear seat base, find a little pull cable with a plastic ring on the end and give it a light pull.

KenL
31st July 2009, 08:43 AM
My R56 Cooper did this.

The boot opened a few times on its own and then the hatch would not open at all unless I used the key to pop it.

The dealer replaced the hatch handle with the release switch in it and it was fine after that.

BTW, you should be able to stop the hatch popping open if you lock the car as soon as you get into it.

koolsville
31st July 2009, 10:30 AM
Thank you for the information.