PDA

View Full Version : Boooo!

AngusK
13th May 2004, 08:03 PM
My precious 3 and a bit month old baby has to go.

Only just registered here a few days back and was looking forward to a few outings.

Getting a company car, the wife won't ditch her convertible, don't have space for 3 cars, so my bad boy has to go.

Any tips on the best way to sell it?

Willie M
13th May 2004, 08:22 PM
Awwww! That's a bummer :( Sorry to hear you're having to part company with the wee car so soon Angus. You could always try an ad in the For Sale section here and/or on MINI2. I'd hope you'd get a bit of interest with it being such a new car.

BTW. What kind of company car are you gettin'? ;)

KenL
13th May 2004, 08:26 PM
Try Autotrader on line. Only £15 for two weeks.

Wul
13th May 2004, 08:34 PM
You may struggle to sell privately as most people don't like carrying round £15k+ in cash to buy a car - they like finance!

Put your case over to the dealer you got the car from - sometimes they will give you a not too bad wee deal.

Or tell your company to put you on a car allowance scheme like me! :D

AngusK
13th May 2004, 08:36 PM
The car needs to have some livery on it - clashes with the grey unfortunately!

Might shop around the dealers as what Dunedin have offered is about 3 grand less than they would sell it on for and it is a bit galling

KenL
13th May 2004, 08:49 PM
If you price it right and offer a decent saving over what the dealers would charge you should sell.

Some people (me included) are not keen on the finance offered by dealers and prefer to get a loan from a bank. Alternatively some people are just loaded and £15k is no problem to them.

For your own security I suggest getting a buyer to pay you with their switch card at the bank. This is how I sold my last car. Money goes straight into your account with no risk to you.

As to selling to a dealer there are often ads in Autocar magazine by dealers looking to purchase MINIs. They should pay what you consider is reasonable and they will still make a decent profit.

Dunedin told me they aim to make £1k clear profit on a MINI so for them to offer £3k less is a bit of a cheek but it is business after all.

Good luck.

AngusK
13th May 2004, 09:00 PM
Will get it gleaming and take some pics on Saturday and get it advertised privately. At least the dealer's offer is something to fall back on.

Ta for the advice

Angus

Duncan Stewart
14th May 2004, 01:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Alternatively some people are just loaded and £15k is no problem to them.

Or some people just save hard for years and avoid paying anyone interest :D ;)

Lots of Minis advertised privately so I would give it a go first. If that fails the shopping around dealers can bring a good price.

AngusK
14th May 2004, 10:36 PM
Good idea again - not too experienced in such matters.

Dunedin know what my settlement figure is so I think they just offered enough to cover it and leave me with enough for my bus fare home.