PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Massa...

zimbo
27th July 2009, 05:57 PM
Was shocked to hear about Massas accident, a week after poor Henrys fatal accident the weekend before. Very creepy to have two very similar accidents like that :eek:

Get well soon Felipe. Just hope he can make it back to F1 after he recovers :sad:

Craig
27th July 2009, 07:06 PM
yeah Get Well Soon Felipe. a very lucky person it would appear. :thumbs up:

stoney
27th July 2009, 11:36 PM
they dont know if he will race again cos of his eye they said to day on he raido

baptie
28th July 2009, 07:15 AM
must have been some contact, a 2lb spring at that speed.

Very similar to Surtees, loose object and cracked on the head.

saw the pics of the injury, looked a bad one.

Smitty
28th July 2009, 07:23 AM
Horrible freak accident - and even more so since Sutress died last week.

Hope Massa gets better and can get in a F1 car again - he's a real character and would be missed in F1 :sad:

dezzyS
28th July 2009, 07:25 AM
Also saw a pic of the injury and his helmet - he is so lucky that it didn't hit the visor!

Good explanation of how it happened on the BBC F1 website here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8169365.stm

They're stating that it's too early to say whether he'll race again or not. Really hope this is not the end of his career.

Big Gordy
28th July 2009, 08:50 AM
They're stating that it's too early to say whether he'll race again or not. Really hope this is not the end of his career.

Heard on the news this morning that it may be career threatening:frown:

Knox18
28th July 2009, 09:17 AM
Also saw a pic of the injury and his helmet - he is so lucky that it didn't hit the visor!

you'd be suprised what that visor would stop!

only reason it came loose is the spring took out the pivot on the side :sad:

heard rumours that schumacher is coming back to stand in, lets hope it is just for a stand in till massa is better :sad:

zimbo
28th July 2009, 09:20 AM
It would be a shame if this ends his career, he is one of my favourite F1 drivers :frown:

I cant even imagine how Barrichelo must be feeling seeing as it was his car that caused this whole thing, even though it was not his fault, I'm sure he will still be feeling aweful. :sad:

So fingers crossed for Felipe :yes nod:

Hamish
28th July 2009, 09:31 AM
you'd be suprised what that visor would stop!

only reason it came loose is the spring took out the pivot on the side :sad:

heard rumours that schumacher is coming back to stand in, lets hope it is just for a stand in till massa is better :sad:

yeah those visors have are made of some special stuff arent they?

Dad and I feared the worst that it may end Massas career, I so so so hope thats not the case. He's a great guy.

I think if it does end Massas career that it will also end Rubens too.

We wondered if Schumacher might make a stand in return drive. Likewise, hopefully temporary and Massa will be back soon.

(bet Schumachers still on it though!)

baptie
28th July 2009, 09:58 AM
heard rumours that schumacher is coming back to stand in, lets hope it is just for a stand in till massa is better

heard that this morning

Crombers
28th July 2009, 11:07 AM
Horrible, horrible, horrible :sad:

Get well soon & hopefully back in the car :yes nod:

Never wanted it to be this way but Michael back racing, that would boost yer races just a tad

Gismo
28th July 2009, 11:39 AM
Just seen this :eek: get well soon Massa :yes nod:

mini saltire
28th July 2009, 01:43 PM
Really sad for Massa. :frown:

The saftey of open wheel racing is going to be under the spotlight now with 2 cases so close to each other the FIA will need to react.

We replace windscreens in the Mini series several times a year as a result of debris and stones getting kicked up and there has been a few times when I thought the whole screen would cave in with the size of rocks that have been thrown up by other cars. I know open wheelers don't use the track like we do as they have aero kits and superior down force but stuff does fly about the track after an accident. The drivers head is the most exposed part of most open wheel racing and perhaps it is now time for a bubble pod similar to the peugeot le mans car. I don't know about you guys but I would rather be belt and braces and be inside a pod whilst there is a wheel flying around at over 100mph. http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/2009_peugeot_908_hdi_fap.jpg

Did anyone else think Renault and Alonso's actions (continuing to run with a loose wheel which was obviously going to come off... and did) highly irresponsible?? Well I did :frown:, and I think they should be fined for it! There comes a point when it stops being about winning and other peoples saftey must come first :argh:

I feel sorry for Rubens and Brawn as they obviously couldn't have forseen this failure but I applaud them for triple checking Jenson's car before letting it continue in Q3 :thumbs up:

Sorry if this reads a bit like "A Points of View" letter :blush:

Smitty
28th July 2009, 02:24 PM
Did anyone else think Renault and Alonso's actions (continuing to run with a loose wheel which was obviously going to come off... and did) highly irresponsible?? Well I did :frown:, and I think they should be fined for it! There comes a point when it stops being about winning and other peoples saftey must come first :argh:

They were - they have been kicked out of the Valencia GP. Personally, I thought that punishment was a bit harsh! Everyone makes mistakes. Ferrari never got fined (at least not to my knowledge, and they certianly never got banned) for the whole Massa - fuel rig inccident last season.

Big Gordy
28th July 2009, 02:31 PM
That was because it was FERRARI Smitty:frown: Different rules apply there lad:hand:

mini saltire
28th July 2009, 03:26 PM
Didn't know about the Valencia ban, can't make my mind up about that. I think it was bad taste what they did and they are not the first to try and limp back to the pits with an obvious failure but I suppose the FIA have to lead by example now. Worst case scenario would have been another loose tyre accident and that would have been regarded as reglegance on behalf of Renault. Alonso missing Valencia will piss off the Spanish fans big time though which is bad for F1 reputation.

Be good to see Michael Schumacher back though... hope he gets his arse handed to him by the young guns... sadly I don't think he would though:popcorn:

Mini Ecosse
28th July 2009, 04:11 PM
Really sad for Massa. :frown:

I agree with you on this one.
Will be intersting to see if Bernie allows the one race ban to go ahead. After all Valencia is Alonso's home race and ticket sales could/will suffer.

The Dogfather
28th July 2009, 05:39 PM
Renault are guilty of taking chances with both Alonso and other car drivers safety, personally I think they should be hit harder.

mini saltire
28th July 2009, 05:59 PM
Renault are guilty of taking chances with both Alonso and other car drivers safety, personally I think they should be hit harder.

I don't think excluding them from a racing weekend is the correct thing to do though. I agree the implications of what could have happened are huge and they need punished but lets be honest, you would rather see the talent of Alonso being showcased at his home grand prix than not. He is a racer and most racers would have tried to nurse that car back to the pits. He is being punished for what the team did. Renault should be punished as a team and should be docked points from the constructors championship. I feel sorry for Nelson Piquet Jnr what did he do wrong?? In short Renault are guilty of the crime but F1 needs more drivers like Alonso and without him I think the crowds will vote with their feet.... put it this way, they aren't going to watch their favourite driver Lewis turn up and win are they?:hand:

Scottie
28th July 2009, 11:23 PM
Alonso is a dick.:blush: and I'll be gutted if Schumacher makes a come back.:frown::frown:

Sorry for Massa I think he would be silly to come back to racing after such an injury.

baptie
29th July 2009, 10:03 AM
used to like Alonso up until the whole Hamilton stuff.

So childish for the cash they get

C.Noble
29th July 2009, 07:25 PM
It would appear Mr Schumacher IS coming back...

I personally looking forward to seeing him racing again, but I hope when he comes back he still has "it" and that he doesnt come back and make an arse of himself... or worse still hurts himself!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8172310.stm

euan
29th July 2009, 10:04 PM
What's worse, a rookie with minimal testing, or a "veteran" who is a bit unfit and trying too hard to win?

You only have to watch the masters football to see how dirty footballers get when the lose the pace and the feet a bit, kicking anyone in sight.

I hope he does ok - he'll develop that car like nobody else can, but I just worry that he'll be trying to hard.

AndyP & Lenore
29th July 2009, 10:08 PM
What's worse, a rookie with minimal testing, or a "veteran" who is a bit unfit and trying too hard to win?

You only have to watch the masters football to see how dirty footballers get when the lose the pace and the feet a bit, kicking anyone in sight.

I hope he does ok - he'll develop that car like nobody else can, but I just worry that he'll be trying to hard.

I really don't watch F1, so forgive me if I'm talking out my depth/place... but don't you think he'll be going into this saying to himself, "well, I've nothing to prove to anyone, so I may as well relax and enjoy the ride"? Rather than trying too hard.:confused:

A.

C.Noble
29th July 2009, 10:23 PM
I really don't watch F1, so forgive me if I'm talking out my depth/place... but don't you think he'll be going into this saying to himself, "well, I've nothing to prove to anyone, so I may as well relax and enjoy the ride"? Rather than trying too hard.:confused:

A.

Could easily go one way or the other...

Could be crap and be only too happy to hand the car back to Massa or whoever at the end of the year...

Or

If he does come back with that "nothing to prove" attitude and his old "fall in water... come out with fish in his pockets" luck means the wheels fall off red bulls charge, I would not be surprised if he is pushing for P2 in the championship at the end of the year!

I bet Button is the happiest man in the pit lane right now, given he is the only man Shooey CANT catch in the points!

Scottie
29th July 2009, 10:49 PM
http://shrani.si/f/h/Tm/MdTpu5O/1/puberty.jpg

euan
29th July 2009, 11:11 PM

A.

He's a multiple world champion, massively driven and has been known to win at all costs. I suspect he'll state publicly he's there to stand in and improve the car, but inside he'll be trying to prove he's still the best driver in that field. I can't see him ever being satisfied coming second.

I may be wrong, but I can't ever see him going along for the ride. It's not like he needs the money!

euan
29th July 2009, 11:15 PM
Oh, and a quote from him today:

"As the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

He's there as he thinks he can win races. What will be interesting is that he'll have done no testing, on a circuit he's never driven, which is a street circuit and therefore a bit tight. I know I'll be watching the practice sessions!

japper
30th July 2009, 07:33 AM
he'll develop that car like nobody else can, but I just worry that he'll be trying to hard.

Apparently he was awesome at engine development but absolutely crap at tyres and aero.

I don't think it's the engine they're struggling with:smilewinkgrin:

Be good to see him back though mixing things up.

Ivano
31st July 2009, 01:45 PM
I heard that Alonso is looking into setting up a Cycling Team to compete in the Tour De France in a couple of years time...

euan
31st July 2009, 11:29 PM
I heard that Alonso is looking into setting up a Cycling Team to compete in the Tour De France in a couple of years time...

Wouldn't surprise me, most of the F1 boys are into cycling in a big way. But it's a massive difference between training and racing.

Can't see it in a couple of years, I think if he goes to Ferrari he's there for a good few years to maximise world title opportunities.