PDA

View Full Version : Mini vs Wood Pigeon..

Burple
27th July 2009, 11:57 AM
Arg! Driving down the bottom part of the A9 yesterday afternoon (about 70mph ish) I just happened to clock 2 wood pigeons flying out of trees to my left in time to think " Oh crap, they're lo..." before one of the feathery little f*ckers smacked into the driver's side windscreen wiper! It managed to hit the wiper square on, which immediately spun 180 degrees and was left resting on top of the wing mirror.
I've tried poppong it back in place, it worked once, then flew back to the same place, and now won't work at all.. :shut up::argh:

Had a look when we managed to stop, and it looks like the little toothed spigoty-thing (technical term ;) lol) has rounded off inside the wiper arm - either that or the inside of the arm has runded off. Sigh.

Ah well.. booked into JC's for them to have a look tomorrow, hoping it's not gonna be too expensive!! :shut up:

As for the flippin' pigeon.. apparently it 'looked cool' as it pinged off my windscreen at a rate of knots and a plume of feathers and arced off into the central reservation! Well.. according to the 6 year old in the car behind us!! :laugh: Made a hell of a 'crack!' as it hit the car tho, and I suppose we were lucky as 5 or so inches higher would have placed it square in the winscreen in front of my face!

Mini 1 - Pigeon 1. B*gger! :rolleyes:

Ally S
27th July 2009, 01:11 PM
thats not good. they do look spectacular though when they turn into a pile of feathers flying everywhere.

my dad hit a seagull once and it cart wheeled over the side of the bridge into the river.

GCA3N
27th July 2009, 01:16 PM
I had a horrible experience on the a90 hit a duck and 5 ducklings not good.

Ally S
27th July 2009, 01:25 PM
I had a horrible experience on the a90 hit a duck and 5 ducklings not good.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Big Gordy
27th July 2009, 01:41 PM
I hit a goose coming back from Callander when I had the Mondeo:frown: Felt really bad about it until I saw what it had done to my front bumper:ragin:

Ferengo
27th July 2009, 01:58 PM
Mr Burple, I remember when I first met you and I do recall seeing you in my rear view mirror flatten a seagull with the same MINI... :p

Not a good experience when you hit anything. I hit a pigeon in my old Mondeo going 70 on the Kingsway. I looked in my rear view to see a cloud of feathers. When I stopped in Perth I took a look and was gutted to see the blood on the headlight.

Burple
27th July 2009, 02:04 PM
Mr Burple, I remember when I first met you and I do recall seeing you in my rear view mirror flatten a seagull with the same MINI... :p

Not a good experience when you hit anything. I hit a pigeon in my old Mondeo going 70 on the Kingsway. I looked in my rear view to see a cloud of feathers. When I stopped in Perth I took a look and was gutted to see the blood on the headlight.

:blush::blush: Oops... in that case..

Mini 2 - Feathered Rats 1 :Whistle:;)

That was awful too.. what a first impression to make huh? :laugh:
You guys avoided it.. I never had a chance.. oops!

KenL
27th July 2009, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. I hope you get it sorted cheaply.

I do feel for the wood pigeon, I really like them - to look at, not to eat!

Craig
27th July 2009, 09:14 PM
I feel your pain Euan. I hit a pheasant last week, it glanced off the windscreen and I got away with no damage, but the plumes of feathers was cool. :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
27th July 2009, 09:46 PM
I hit a pheasant with my works van back in the day when I worked for a bloke in Kelso. Van was a brand new Mercedes long wheel base thing. The pheasant created a nasty crater in the front near side bodywork. Boss was not best pleased.:blush:

A.

Crombers
28th July 2009, 11:20 AM
I hit a pheasant last week, it glanced off the windscreen and I got away with no damage, but the plumes of feathers was cool. :cool:

I hit a pheasant once in my MINI, going over the Glen Douglas road over Helensburgh/Loch Lomond way. Huge plume of feathers but :sad: it did not get away.

No damage to the car mind ;)

Fester
29th July 2009, 07:24 PM
Try hitting one of the feathered vermin in a convertible!!!!

Had an Audi Cabriolet and managed to smack a pigeon in the middle of the windscreen only to have it dissapear in a cloud of feather and end up stuck on the wind deflector behind my head thankfully no damage apart to the pair of underpants I had to replace!!!!!!!! :Whistle:

C.Noble
29th July 2009, 07:50 PM
I hit a swallow or whatever... something smaller than a gull but bigger than a Robin, I am not a birdie person, with a Shogun once.

I was doing 70 (ish) in one direction, the bird appeared to be attempting super sonic flight in the opposing direction... the Shogun won.

It did, however, take me half an hour to get the poor little things head extricated from the grill it was wedged in... not a nice job!

Big Gordy
29th July 2009, 08:37 PM
with a Shotgun once

You must be a good aim Chris.......there fast wee buggers:Whistle:

Burple
30th July 2009, 02:18 PM
I got one of them two once on the first recce for the Arbroath Seafront wee run.. steaming down an A road, and it shot out from behind a building... "Squick!" :blush::bigwave:

Car all sorted now. Apparently the impact loosened the nut on the end of the wiper arm enough to stop it working! Eep! :shut up:

Little b@stard must have been quick with the spanner! :laugh::laugh:

Ally S
3rd August 2009, 10:56 PM
seen this at the classic speedfair

http://www.asta.org.uk/images/poor_bird.jpg