PDA

View Full Version : Specy 2

Sheilz
24th July 2009, 10:04 PM
Am in a quandary as to which mini of two that should become specy2. In respect of the current recession have opted for two fairly new cars. One an 08 and other a 57 plate. Since I'm planning on continuing the Scottish theme same as specy would be interested in knowing if folk think this would look better on one or the other. Both cars have got low mileage, significantly less than specy at any rate! though one is two grand more than the other. They also have fairly similar spec.

Honesty appreciated! However first I need someone to upload the photos for me for I will be damned if I can figure out how to do it myself :confused:
Am feeling pretty miserable :sad: about this because I'm sure specy is aware that there is treachery afoot. What a way to reward his sterling service :frown::frown:

Scottie
24th July 2009, 10:10 PM
more details what colour are we talking. I thought you had a wee thing for a Oxygen Blue??? what is the build date of both cars. As I noticed a big difference between by Mar 07 Mini and my Oct 08 Mini the 08 obviously being better

Sheilz
24th July 2009, 10:44 PM
1. Lightning blue, chilli pack 17" flame spokes, interior pacific blue and piano black, white roof, bonnet stripes, mirror caps. under 5000 miles and just under 15K

2. Oxygen blue, chilli pack, 16" bullet alloys in white, dark grey line and trim, white roof, bonnet stripes and miror caps. £13K. Has a slightly better spec than LB one.

Been offered 4.5K trade in for specy.

I really like the lightning blue but not so sure about the saltire with it - too close, especially since the mirror caps will have specy's trademark saltire?

I also like the oxygen blue. I think the solid colour will look better with the solid colour of saltire graphics though am less certain about the fact it isnt really a true blue. Will it look hideous?

Unfortunately can't afford two so need to choose. But which one?

Sheilz
24th July 2009, 10:46 PM
Ooops
1. is 08 plate. 2. is 57

Scottie
24th July 2009, 10:50 PM
Heres the thing. You without a doubt spend the most time in your Mini driving more so than anyone else I know so you want to make sure you choose the car you will enjoy the most, not much help am I;)

Oxygen Blue is a more retro colour.

Sheilz
24th July 2009, 11:07 PM
Aye, there's no doubt that I spend more time behind the wheel than most folk - though perhaps not so long as you'd think ;)

Agree the oxygen blue is more retro. Not many of them on the road, think I've only seen a couple in Aberdeen where there are hundreds of minis.

eenie, meenie...............

Sheilz
25th July 2009, 09:48 PM
Its been a slog but have finally made my decision.

Scottie
25th July 2009, 10:03 PM
well !!!

Sheilz
25th July 2009, 10:16 PM
Ah! there's the rub you see Fi coz now I cant say anything incase I jinx it ;)Got to have a nice chat to Carlos for graphics and stuff. All three dealers I've spoken to have said no one puts four spots on the newer coopers but I'm thinking that cant be right? Unless my imagination is doing overtime I could swear that I've seen four spots on new ones. If the minidealership wont put on four can anyone put me in the direction of anyone in Aberdeen who can put them on for me? Unless the quality of dealer ones have improved dramatically I'd much rather put on aftermarket ones anyway. I read on another thread about the chap from tinthaus now being in Forest Ave, would he be a possibility for spots as well as for tinting window? Am hoping to have new one on the road sometime during my holidays next month.

Craig
25th July 2009, 10:30 PM
Malcolm has 4 on his clubman... :thumbs up: although I do believe he had to make up a special system to get them to work :yes nod:

Sheilz
25th July 2009, 11:55 PM
Malcolm has 4 on his clubman... :thumbs up: although I do believe he had to make up a special system to get them to work :yes nod:

Thanks Craig. If Malcom managed to circumvent whatever the stumbling block is would I be right to assume most autoelectricians would be able to do the same? No point in buying four spots if I cant get them on or even worse to work.

Craig
26th July 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks Craig. If Malcom managed to circumvent whatever the stumbling block is would I be right to assume most autoelectricians would be able to do the same? No point in buying four spots if I cant get them on or even worse to work.

I don't think the electrics are the problem, I think the issue was the mounting of the middle ones... ;)

Stewart
26th July 2009, 10:24 AM
I was going to say send us the pictures or link from the dealers and I’ll get them posted up for you….but you have decided on one. Good luck with the new Car, have to say it was a pleasure chasing the original Specy on the TWR….just hope it’s a Cooper and not an S..

Lightning blue I have always liked, that and the Laser. Oxygen Blue I have to emit is a girly a colour;) and it’s a rare colour on the Road, I've passed the same one a few times in a part of the City (Giffnock, Mearns) that you can see twenty Minis no problem in the space of fifteen minutes.

Hope to see it on the next run……(please god not an S) :D

Make sure you get a good pic of the old car....:sad:

Sheilz
26th July 2009, 11:48 AM
Hope to see it on the next run……(please god not an S) :D

I can defo say its not an 'S'. Not sure if I'd trust myself or rather my driving licence with one :D
Have to say I do feel quite bad about letting the wee man go but have loads of photos of him taken from every posible angle ha ha as you do :rolleyes:

Ally S
27th July 2009, 01:19 PM
Crikey, I never realised that there are so many different colours of blue minis.

lightning, oxygen, laser, hyper...

ianking
27th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Crikey, I never realised that there are so many different colours of blue minis.

lightning, oxygen, laser, hyper...

and Indie blue and Electric blue and Horizon blue and Cool blue

Sheilz
28th July 2009, 08:54 PM
Ok think its safe to now say that specy2 is going to be an all over chilli red cooper clubman, chilli pack, pace alloys, spots, rooster red trim, park control thingie and otherwise pretty bog standard. Am hoping to gain the services of Carlo to design graphics. If all goes well should have the car in time for Craig's run.

Craig
28th July 2009, 09:25 PM
oh very nice sheilz.... just tell carlo to get the car done in time for the run... :thumbs up:

Sheilz
28th July 2009, 10:09 PM
I've emailed a list of wants and combination of wants to him! Am wanting it bold and bad but not to look daft either. I'm sure Carlo will keep me right though it might involve having to go back for one piece, that's if he thinks its possible to do.
I could cut myself in half just now with one bit being delighted and really excited at the prospect of a new car, while the other is running in and out of the house to look at specy coz it feels really bad about betraying him. He's been my pal for five years.

Scottie
28th July 2009, 11:11 PM
Sounds good a complete swing to what you first listed.:cool:;)

But POooooooooooooor old specy how could you sell him:p:p

Stewart
28th July 2009, 11:26 PM
I guess you went back to the showroom to have another look between the two cars and found a third:D………..Very nice look forward to seeing the new wheels.

Sheilz
28th July 2009, 11:46 PM
My first choice was an oxygen blue cooper. Got someone to photoshop a pic and to be honest I thought it looked fab. :thumbs up: Prob with specy is not enough room for leggie eleven year old and us oldies to travel in any kind of comfort. Am hoping that the extra legroom in the clubman - name yet to be chosen but I'll know it when I hear it - will make back seat journeys more tolerable for her when the three of us are in the car. Also looking for better fuel economy since I tend to notch the miles up. Shame that there's not an option of having a similar interior to the r50s because I think they're much nicer, specially the graphite finish which I have in specy. Am thinking that the suicide door will be very useful though for getting kids to behave in the car ;)

AndyP & Lenore
29th July 2009, 12:20 AM
New clubby sounds very nice Shielz! Look forward to seeing him on Craig's run if you get him in time.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Sheilz
29th July 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks. Should be collecting him on Tuesday. Got to wait for the spots, graphics and supaguard to be done. Reg will take a few days longer so will have to make do with its current reg. So just six sleeps to go and bingo.

ianking
29th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Got to wait for the supaguard to be done.

Sheilz

I wouldnt bother with the Superguard or ANY of the supposed paint protection systems unless you are getting it for free. I used to apply these when I worked as a valeter at the garage and they are just a huge money making scheme for the dealer. Not a very good product.

The big wax and sealant test over on detailing world showed that out of all the systems available they didnt even last as long as a £20 tub of collonite wax.

AndyP & Lenore
29th July 2009, 10:17 PM
Sheilz

I wouldnt bother with the Superguard or ANY of the supposed paint protection systems unless you are getting it for free. I used to apply these when I worked as a valeter at the garage and they are just a huge money making scheme for the dealer. Not a very good product.

The big wax and sealant test over on detailing world showed that out of all the systems available they didnt even last as long as a £20 tub of collonite wax.

Shielz, it's not that I want to turn this into a fight between Ian and I, but I disagree with him - to a certain extent. Supaguard is rubbish - no arguing there. Save the money and get a decent tub of wax like Ian says. And from what I recall you like a good "beading" on your car, you're not gonna get that from Supaguard. And as soon as you put a coat of wax on top, the supaguard is defunct anyway.

If you'd been putting Jewelultra Diamondbrite on, that would have been a bit different, but after 8 years of faithful diamondbrite usage, our next car will be detailed the proper way, polish, wax and tlc.

Don't want to turn your thread into a detailing thread so if you want to explore this further, start a new thread in Car Care forum, or pop me a PM.

A.:thumbs up:

ianking
30th July 2009, 08:13 AM
Check out the big wax test. I think jewel brite lasted 2 months at full protection.

AndyP & Lenore
30th July 2009, 09:59 AM
Check out the big wax test. I think jewel brite lasted 2 months at full protection.

Can't find the thread your talking about.:confused:

A.

Sheilz
30th July 2009, 10:42 PM
:argh: nearly £300 that's what its costing me. :eek:
Was going to take it home to give it a wash and quick coat of wax just ot get the beading going :argh:
You mean that lovely smelling megs in the garage will take the supaguard off? Grief, for sure there's one born every minute :frown:

The Dogfather
30th July 2009, 10:54 PM
Good on ya Sheilz, another Clubman convert. They handle better than the hatch even if they are a little slower.

AndyP & Lenore
30th July 2009, 11:56 PM
:argh: nearly £300 that's what its costing me. :eek:
Was going to take it home to give it a wash and quick coat of wax just ot get the beading going :argh:
You mean that lovely smelling megs in the garage will take the supaguard off? Grief, for sure there's one born every minute :frown:

Shielz, £300 for supaguard is a massive rip-off. I don't know what the materials will be costing them, but I would guess maybe £40 ish. It should only take about 1 hour to fully cover a car's METALwork in the chemical.

I pay £150 each time I've had a MINI done with Diamondbrite, which is basically the same process. But as I've said, next time, I'm sticking to old-school polishing and waxing.

I don't see any reason why you can't call the dealer and ask them to forget the diamondbrite. If it hasn't been applied, I don't see why they would need to charge for it.

A.

Sheilz
31st July 2009, 12:07 AM
Well if my memory of the TWR is correct I think all the clubmans were in front of specy so I guess I wont be able to tell the difference. It was the amount of stuff you and Shiobhan and Malcom had in theirs that swayed me. I mean you had a house and everything but kitchen sink in the boot. I was well impressed. Am looking forward to checking out the handling I hear people speaking about.

I'm looking to make a few changes, just wee ones. Are the side vents and repeaters the same as the r56? Also looking for an airiel (cant mind if thats how to spell it :confused: sure thats not right but am on hols and brain switched off). Also wanting rubber mats, dont know what it is but I think I went through more mats in specy than anything else, is it just the same ones that I'd buy for specy that I need to get?
Have ordered a nice jar of pure canubra for him as a welcome home pressie.

Even though I'm keeping my reg (there were two specys in the car ;)) I wont be calling him Specy, just as I wouldn't call Specy Hamish. Am waiting for a flash of brilliance but its evading me at the moment.

Sheilz
31st July 2009, 12:09 AM
Shielz, £300 for supaguard is a massive rip-off. I don't know what the materials will be costing them, but I would guess maybe £40 ish. It should only take about 1 hour to fully cover a car's METALwork in the chemical.

I pay £150 each time I've had a MINI done with Diamondbrite, which is basically the same process. But as I've said, next time, I'm sticking to old-school polishing and waxing.

I don't see any reason why you can't call the dealer and ask them to forget the diamondbrite. If it hasn't been applied, I don't see why they would need to charge for it.

A.

I agree and will be making a call to Menzies tomorrow. Thanks for the tip off, I really had no idea the mark up was so much.

The Dogfather
31st July 2009, 06:31 AM
The side repeaters are the same :D

ianking
31st July 2009, 08:24 AM
It was about 6 years ago when I was working in the garage and the kits cost us back then roughly £30.
Dont waste your money on the £300 stuff.

Sheilz
1st August 2009, 12:37 PM
Preparation for Dougall's arrival are gathering apace. Now have decided that I want to get rid of the black surrounding his bum and wonder if anyone has ever done this or seen it done. Am wary about taking away his clubbie look. Do have an alternative colour away from the standard options that I could use as an alternative to red. I know this is down to personal taste but would be too late after its done! If anyone has seen this done did it look ok?
Can anyone recommend a decent bodyshop place in Aberdeen or surrounding area. Am I right in thinking that at one point Kinghorns did a fair bit of work for members on here?

Forbes
1st August 2009, 01:01 PM
I use Kingstreet Auto body on the Kingswells/Westhill dualler, as does John I think, they do a good joob.

Sheilz
1st August 2009, 01:06 PM
I use Kingstreet Auto body on the Kingswells/Westhill dualler, as does John I think, they do a good joob.

Thanks for that, will ask them for a quote. :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
1st August 2009, 01:10 PM
Shielz, the best example I can find of what you're talking about is Weefossy's "works van". These pics are from the Italian Job Fish & Chip run in March last year.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/Bonnie_Scotland/Chip%20Shop%20Job%20March%202008/MumDadsVan.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/ChipShop10.jpg

A.

Sheilz
1st August 2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks. Just what I needed to know. Doesn't say much for my powers of observation because I hadn't noticed it had been changed. It looks really good. :thumbs up:

Stewart
2nd August 2009, 11:56 AM
http://file049b.bebo.com/1/large/2009/06/24/11/8670123900a11096640822l.jpg

This is the white part at the lights right?

Apologies for the Reg but checked and there is a good few pic of the car and plate on the site……. :blush:

Sheilz
2nd August 2009, 03:25 PM
Thank you. I like that. Still can't understand why I never noticed but again its a compliment in a way coz it just looks so right.
Have asked for some quotes to have Dougall done as he's going to look a bit droll when he first comes home. Might have to wait till my hols are finished before getting him into the workshop. Dont want to waste precious hols hanging around garages.
Got new repeaters ordered. Are these as easy to change as they were on specy? Even I managed them ;)

Forbes
2nd August 2009, 03:29 PM
There is now carbon bits for the clubbie. Saves painting lol

Stewart
2nd August 2009, 07:54 PM
Was Mon and Dads a Mod or was it done in the Factory to order?

I never noticed it either, just thought that’s was how they looked.

Sheilz
2nd August 2009, 09:00 PM
From what I can tell there's no choice other than black or silver but certainly you'd think that if someone is spending a lot of dosh their personal choices could be accommodated.

Cheers Ben. Amn't really into carbon but thanks anyway.

Sheilz
3rd August 2009, 12:39 PM
Specy going into retirement on Wednesday :sad: a day later than expected. Gave him a thorough going over yesterday but got nice pot of 100% canaubra wax through the post today and my fingers are itching to put some of this on him. It would be wasteful but he does deserve the best ever send off :thumbs up:

Scottie
3rd August 2009, 12:50 PM
did you cancel the paint protection??

Craig
3rd August 2009, 01:05 PM
Was Mon and Dads a Mod or was it done in the Factory to order?

I never noticed it either, just thought that’s was how they looked.

there's was done at the dealer before delivery, you can't select it like that from the factory. :thumbs up:

Stewart
3rd August 2009, 09:58 PM
Cheers for that info...

Sheilz have a good time …Wednesday
……..hope it all goes smooth and get the Digital Camera out……or you wanting to keep us waiting till Sunday…..

It was a year on Friday that I picked up my car, (got to remember I had a Honda Civic) and it was like Christmas when I was a kid……Enjoy and give specy a wee tap on the roof from me..:thumbs up:

audrey
3rd August 2009, 10:36 PM
Specy going into retirement on Wednesday :sad: a day later than expected. Gave him a thorough going over yesterday but got nice pot of 100% canaubra wax through the post today and my fingers are itching to put some of this on him. It would be wasteful but he does deserve the best ever send off :thumbs up:

Good luck with the new car :thumbs up:

Give poor wee specy a nice coat of wax go on you know you want to ;)

Sheilz
4th August 2009, 01:15 PM
Thank you. I did give him the wax.
Took him out to his auntie's last night to say cheerio, and his big brothers are coming tonight to give his wee bonnet a pat. Still have to take off his little ears though as I'm keeping them. He'll be wearing plain white ones for his last trip south. Such a shame coz Munro does hardly any miles in his car and could've got rid of his one to keep specy but he thinks the sport plus suspension is too hard (grumpy old mannie :shut up:;)) Mind you I dont know if that would have worked as I'd go mad at him carrying manure in specy the way he does in his own one :eek:
Camera will be out tomorrow that's for sure. Want to get a photo of my two wee boys together ;)
Back of the car though wont look right until its been to the body shop and we're going on hols first so Dougall will just have to get used to folk staring at his bum thinking its ugly! Hope it doesn't give him a complex.

Stewart
4th August 2009, 06:18 PM
Great that’s all I need, all I can think is the poor car driving about thinking

“ is my bum big in this” :D

If your over Camping on the Loch, your only over Stirling Rd A811 onto the A81 to Aberfoyle and take the cut off to Calander. It’s a nice road and far better than the Road works on the Motorway route most will be taking.

weefossy
4th August 2009, 09:31 PM
Sheilz, apologies but have been really busy with work and visitors. Welcome to the Van Gang :thumbs up:
Red "Dougall" will fit right in there. Sounds like a real Scottish Warrior

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/Scotsman.gif

Re paint job: Like you, we didn't like the black bit at back, so we got it resprayed by dealers as soon as it arrived. Can't be done by factory as they only offer silver or black which is "duff"

Re spotlights: Craig is correct, factory will only fit 2. If you want 4, wiring up the extra 2 is easy, I did it myself. Problem is the bracket, which I got a welder to help me with. I can explain how I did it, but I didn't keep the "wooden" template I made. Sorry. I got asked a lot of questions about the spots at Silverstone and I don't think I saw another R55 / R56 with 4 spots, but I could be wrong. Think I should patient the design.

Best of luck with the new car, hope you have as many happy miles as you did with Specy. She was a lovely car. Pictures of Red Dougall please

Sheilz
4th August 2009, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=Sav112;215689]Great that’s all I need, all I can think is the poor car driving about thinking

“ is my bum big in this” :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the directions. We're booked into the site at Ardgarten. LOL in line with getting a van I joined the camping and caravanning club. LOL next thing is will be looking at twinsets and tweed skirts :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sheilz
4th August 2009, 11:59 PM
Sheilz, apologies but have been really busy with work and visitors. Welcome to the Van Gang :thumbs up:
Red "Dougall" will fit right in there. Sounds like a real Scottish Warrior

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/Scotsman.gif

Re paint job: Like you, we didn't like the black bit at back, so we got it resprayed by dealers as soon as it arrived. Can't be done by factory as they only offer silver or black which is "duff"

Re spotlights: Craig is correct, factory will only fit 2. If you want 4, wiring up the extra 2 is easy, I did it myself. Problem is the bracket, which I got a welder to help me with. I can explain how I did it, but I didn't keep the "wooden" template I made. Sorry. I got asked a lot of questions about the spots at Silverstone and I don't think I saw another R55 / R56 with 4 spots, but I could be wrong. Think I should patient the design.

Best of luck with the new car, hope you have as many happy miles as you did with Specy. She was a lovely car. Pictures of Red Dougall please

Thank you. That sojer looks pretty wild :laugh::laugh::laugh: