PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for British Motorsport

Knox18
20th July 2009, 01:03 AM
wasnt sure which section to put this in :sad:

18 year old Henry Surtees, son of former F1 World Champion John Surtees, was tragically killed in a freak accident while racing F2 at Brands Hatch today.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77088

the fatal accident :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDiYS1NVW4

Really hits home at how dangerous motorsport can be :sad:

RIP

GCA3N
20th July 2009, 06:05 AM
so sad, what a freak accident.:frown::frown:

illegalhunter
20th July 2009, 10:07 AM
How many times have you seen wheels flying about aswel. Tragic

Hamish
20th July 2009, 10:12 AM
heard it on the news today, really really sad to hear, yeah I agree Chris, it brings it home... my thoughts go to his family and friends.

Crombers
20th July 2009, 10:16 AM
Tragic :sad:

AndyP & Lenore
20th July 2009, 10:26 AM
wasnt sure which section to put this in :sad:

Moved to the F1 forum as it seems more relevant.

Tragic accident indeed. What's the chances of that happening.:sad:

A.:sad:

Hamish
20th July 2009, 10:47 AM
Moved to the F1 forum as it seems more relevant.

Tragic accident indeed. What's the chances of that happening.:sad:

A.:sad:

very, very unlucky one i'd say... probably if the tyre had landed 6 inches or less anywhere else nothing would have happened! :frown:

C.Noble
20th July 2009, 12:37 PM
Very tragic. It is a shame that the tether system on F1 hasnt filtered down to all modern single seater cars, but there is no point in trying to blame anyone for such a freak accident.

Motorsport IS dangerous and any of us involved forget this at their own peril (this is why I get so nervous when my cars go out!), and everyone tries there level best to ensure safety is the best it can possibly be but, all drivers, and I am sure Henry Surtees would have agreed, know what CAN happen when you climb into a race car, and accept it is impossible to protect the driver against every eventuality, yet they still want to get in and go for it because they LOVE racing a car, bike or whatever.

In this case, it is tragic that Henry died so young and with potentially a glittering career in front of him, but he died doing something he loved, and I am sure would have given up and walked away years ago if he was not prepared to risk having such an accident. However, my thoughts are with his family he has left behind, the competitors he raced with, in particular his race team, who must be going through unimaginable hell right now.

Rest in peace Henry. Sorry we failed you.

euan
20th July 2009, 12:41 PM
Real shame.

I saw this at the weekend, complete freak accident. He probably didn't even see it coming.

DickWW
20th July 2009, 06:35 PM
Very tragic. It is a shame that the tether system on F1 hasnt filtered down to all modern single seater cars.........

It has. In fact Jonathan Palmer specifically mentions it in his statement on the accident.

http://formulatwo.com/news/henry-surtees-jp-statement.aspx

cpearson
20th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Certainly puts things into perspective and makes you wonder why we take such risks each time we pull out of the pit lane.......time for reflection.

RIP Henry.

waugh67
20th July 2009, 09:34 PM
rest in peace Henry.

Smitty
20th July 2009, 10:31 PM
Horrible freak accident - not nice to watch :frown: