PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Product Advice

Smitty
19th July 2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry all, been stupid busy so not posted for ages, but that doesn't mean to say the MINI has been un-cared for - it's gearing up for a big detailing session over the next few weeks! :D

I'm looking to add to what I already do, buy adding in a few more steps and products. So can the experts (i.e. ianking, Fi, AndyP, Volvic etc) advise on what to buy here. So, I need....

Wheel Sealant (Poor Boys?)
Detailing Spray
Clay Bar (Used Sonus Fine Green Clay before - still good stuff?)
A general purpose cleaner for under the bonnet.
Tyre Dressing

Also need some microfibre clothes, drying towel and applicator pads but i'm not too fussy when it comes to stuff like that - so will probably just pop onto eBay and get the cheapest stuff. Unless there are any recomendations?

Thank you in advance :D

ianking
19th July 2009, 04:34 PM
Poorboys wheel sealant is great stuff
I like black fire tyre dressing
Megs detailing spray works well for me although I use the pro one called last touch detailer
Ageneral purpose cleaner coulfd be Meguiars all purpose cleaner
Sonus green is a good (fine grade) clay. I have never had any probs with it.

Cant beat Costco for microfibre cloths

Scottie
19th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Clay Bar = Bilt Hamber Auto Clay bar

QD= Chemical Guys Extreme Synthetic Detailer

Wheel Sealant= I polish with SRP then apply EZ Creme Glaze then Jetseal 109 then on top Purple Haze wax = maintained weekly after washing by using the QD above.

Tyre shine = various products just depends the mood

Smitty
24th August 2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, just splashed out the best part of £100 (ouch :eek:) to advance my detailing collection, so here’s what I have and plan on using:

Body Work:

Autoglym Body Work Shampoo Conditioner
Sonus Ultra Fine Clay Bar
Chemical Guys Speed Wipe/Detailing Lubricant
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub Wax
Wheels

Autoglym Wheel Cleaner
Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant
Meguiars Hot Shine Tyre Spray
Other:

Glass - Autoglym Fast Glass
Black Trim - Black Wow!
Engine/Arches – Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser
Exhaust – Meguiars NXT Generation All Metal Polish
And to wash, dry, apply, buff:

Sainsbury’s Lamb’s Wool Wash Mitt.
Dodo Juice Soft Touch Drying Touch
Multi Purpose Micforibre Cloths
Sonus Foam Applicator Pads.
So, question to the expert detailers amongst us (I’m still a bit of an amateur! :rolleyes:). Thoughts on the combination of products above? And other than a machine polisher (which I’d love but can’t justify the cost right now), what am I missing? :cool:

Crombers
24th August 2009, 03:14 PM
Oh jings where do I start .................... :rolleyes:

Smitty
24th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Oh jings where do I start .................... :rolleyes:

Let me guess...forgot the Brillo Pads...:Whistle:

GCA3N
24th August 2009, 03:27 PM
good list, where is the fairy washing up liquid!

Gismo
24th August 2009, 03:33 PM
Hmm, defo one bucket method and gritty sponge :Whistle:

ianking
24th August 2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like you have enough of a kit to get through the car. What about wheel cleaning brushes though and a multi purpose cleaner for the interior plastics/fabrics.
You could get autoglym interior shampoo. Its OK for the interior job of a car that isnt that dirty. About £4.99 from halfords.
I dont use it myself as it would work out too costly for doing other folks cars etc but I used to use it when I was younger and just doing my own car.

Smitty
24th August 2009, 04:48 PM
Sounds like you have enough of a kit to get through the car. What about wheel cleaning brushes though and a multi purpose cleaner for the interior plastics/fabrics.
You could get autoglym interior shampoo. Its OK for the interior job of a car that isnt that dirty. About £4.99 from halfords.
I dont use it myself as it would work out too costly for doing other folks cars etc but I used to use it when I was younger and just doing my own car.

Thanks Ian - my interior is already in pretty good condition as I keep it clean on a weekly basis. I have leather treatment and carpet shampoo products to spruce it up a little, but might consider the Autoglym stuff for the footwell plastics and the sills which tend to get a bit grubby :ragin:

As for brushes - considered it but i'm taking the wheels off to re paint the calipers and clean up the arches so will be able to do the wheels then with no problems. Will consider purchasinh brushes in the future though :thumbs up:

Forbes
24th August 2009, 04:49 PM
i'm taking the wheels off to re paint the calipers
Will they be red?

Smitty
24th August 2009, 04:59 PM
Will they be red?

They already are red....just making them red-er with a new lick of paint! :cool: