PDA

View Full Version : iPods

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 12:40 AM
Bought our first proper iPod today. I've had the iPhone for couple of months, but really just use that as a phone/web surfing/app games device.

So, we got the iPod Touch 8GB. Plenty big enough for us. We spent 3 or 4 hours ripping our CD's to iTunes then syncing the iPod and iPhone to carry all the tunes. So simple to do. Really didn't realise how easy it all was.

Now sat here typing away with U2 blasting away on my earphones.

And while we were ripping the tracks to iTunes we were listening to Forth One on the Sony S-Air thingymabob.

Apple have a lot to answer for.

Still can't get used to Mac's though. In fact the one we bought from Gaj has been retired to storage until I have time to figure it all out.

A.

Gismo
18th July 2009, 12:49 AM
I've got over 60gb on my classic, set to random play and never hear the same song twice while i'm away :thumbs up:
Also can be connected to all my cars and home hi-fi, can't remember the last time i actually played a CD, mostly download from Play now and load onto the iPod

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 12:55 AM
Aye, we're just slowly catching on to this new technology. And... 60GB??? Holy sh!t. We've dumped probably 30% of all our cd's onto the iPod and it's only 4GB.

Emabrassingly:blush:, Lenore's Mum had an iPod before us. A "person of the older generation" having an iPod is nothing new and not even noteworthy, but you don't know Lenore's mum. She still can't work the Sky + remote, but she can sync all her songs and audiobooks onto her iPod Nano.:eek:

A.:D

Gismo
18th July 2009, 01:19 AM
I have approx 12,000 albums in the house :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 01:23 AM
I have approx 12,000 albums in the house :eek:

That's not something you want on a public forum.:eek:

A.

GCA3N
18th July 2009, 06:02 AM
I have had every ipod since they started love them. Had been using my classic until apple got their finger out and made one big enough for my music collection (approx 24GB) Got my 32gb 3gs ipone last weekish and it is an amazing piece of equipment. So far 3 people i have met who had a shot of it have now got one. I love the apple stuff, i just wish apple were not so greedy at some of the things they do. A classic example was I had the apple docking station in the house and had a JVC ipod stereo in the old cooper when i got the latest nano it never worked in either of them how bad is that, i mean it meant i had to sell my cooper and get a new one:Whistle:, atleast that's what I told the missus.

Scottie
18th July 2009, 07:31 AM
I only every listen to music in my car. Which is always real radio. Recently on our trip north we had MFR on I used think it was good radio station :frown::frown: but it's crap. Only listen to the ipod part of my iphone when I can't get a reception for real radio which is just north of Blackford.:D:D

Gismo
18th July 2009, 01:59 PM
The iPhone battery is not good enough to be able to use it as an out and out music machine, hence why i have an iPod

Ferengo
18th July 2009, 02:51 PM
The iPhone battery is not good enough to be able to use it as an out and out music machine, hence why i have an iPod

Hammy has a real issue with his Iphone. Only lasts a day.

I've had Ipods since Gen2 and I love em. I've got the Classic 160GB and have almost filled it. Music, videos and movies. Although this does bring up the question of piracy. They relaxed the law to allow people to copy music onto their ipod (I'ts still illegal though) but they have not done so for putting movies on it.

I don't see anything wrong with having say Die Hard on DVD and copying it to the ipod. It's not any different to an album.

I used to swear by Apple but lately I see so many cons. I have a white 13" macbook. There is a known issue with the case and magnet where it pulls the screen through the case (I'm on my 3rd and about to get another case).

Anyway, Apple see this and make the new macbook range with an aluminium case and add £200 to the price, no other changes!!! Then 2 months later they go and change the 13" macbook to the 13" macbook pro, put a card reader into it and charge another £100!!! Above all of this they now make the battery internal and as many of you will know mac batteries can have issues so this means you can't change it yourself.

Apple are screwing with their buyers as they can't make the next step. Change the case and name, and charge £300 more. My next computer will be a PC running linux me thinks...

Gismo
18th July 2009, 04:40 PM
Although this does bring up the question of piracy. They relaxed the law to allow people to copy music onto their ipod (I'ts still illegal though) but they have not done so for putting movies on itNeed a bit more info there, it surely cannot be illegal to copy music onto an iPod :rolleyes:

zimbo
18th July 2009, 05:24 PM
Has anyone else tried playing their iPOD in their mini? coz I have and I had to put the volume in the car right up to hear the music and even then it was'nt that loud!! anyone else had that problem? and does anyone know if there is a suitable ipod nano holder that can be used in the mini?

Thanks

Gismo
18th July 2009, 05:38 PM
Zimbo, i assume you have the volume all the way up on the iPod and not at it's adjustable highest setting??

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 09:32 PM
They relaxed the law to allow people to copy music onto their ipod (I'ts still illegal though) but they have not done so for putting movies on it.

I don't see anything wrong with having say Die Hard on DVD and copying it to the ipod. It's not any different to an album.

Need a bit more info there, it surely cannot be illegal to copy music onto an iPod :rolleyes:

Yeah, what Gismo says... I would have thought putting music or movies onto an iPod is OK, providing you own the said music or DVD on another format in the first place.:confused:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 09:35 PM
Hammy has a real issue with his Iphone. Only lasts a day.

Grant, if I have Wi Fi switched on my iPhone battery only lasts a day too. If Wi Fi is switched off, I can stretch it to a day and a half, maybe two days at a push. I've had to buy a charger to leave in the office so I don't get caught short.

Scottie
18th July 2009, 09:38 PM
I have my wi-fi on all the time if I am just phoning or text the battery will last two days no problem in fact longer and it's switched on 24/7.

If I sit using the internet on 3G or play a game alot then I get a day out of the phone.

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 09:43 PM
Will need to try leaving wifi on Monday & Tuesday. Will be too busy to surf anyway and will give me an idea if I'm getting same battery length as you. Although what would be the point? Having wifi switched on but not using it.

Fi, do you use push email? Do you have automatic download switched on, if so how often? Or do you fetch manually?

A.

Gismo
18th July 2009, 09:46 PM
I have the wi-fi set to only use known connections, on all the time.
I only get e-mails when i press the mail button and i'll charge my phone approx every 2 days, but, i hardly text and call and surf occasionally, mostly when travelling to and from Baku.
Phone is on 24/7

Scottie
18th July 2009, 09:49 PM
automatic hourly.

I have wi-fi switched on cause I can't be bothered to go into settings to switch it off.

My phone is always always on silent.:blush::blush:

Ferengo
18th July 2009, 11:12 PM
There was a whole legal thing a couple of years ago when the Ipod first became big. Music companies tried to say that copying music without permission is illegal regardless if you own said music on say CD, But it's become so common place that they relented in pursuit.

It is still illegal to copy music weather it be to an ipod, computer or any other means if you have not asked the permission of the record company. Believe me, my bands album has just gone up on Amazon and Itunes and we've seen the whole legal side of it "Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988".

They have been trying to change the law to similar type in America where "Fair Use" Constitutes moving from CD to Ipod. They put forward a proposition last year and are currently trying to draw up the legal side which is why the law has been relaxed. For the moment it still breaking the law, but very doubtful that anyone would ever get brought up on it.

Ferengo
18th July 2009, 11:13 PM
Grant, if I have Wi Fi switched on my iPhone battery only lasts a day too. If Wi Fi is switched off, I can stretch it to a day and a half, maybe two days at a push. I've had to buy a charger to leave in the office so I don't get caught short.

I'll let Hammy know. He has done the whole charger thing at work too. Cheers.

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2009, 06:18 AM
There was a whole legal thing a couple of years ago when the Ipod first became big. Music companies tried to say that copying music without permission is illegal regardless if you own said music on say CD, But it's become so common place that they relented in pursuit.

It is still illegal to copy music weather it be to an ipod, computer or any other means if you have not asked the permission of the record company. Believe me, my bands album has just gone up on Amazon and Itunes and we've seen the whole legal side of it "Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988".

They have been trying to change the law to similar type in America where "Fair Use" Constitutes moving from CD to Ipod. They put forward a proposition last year and are currently trying to draw up the legal side which is why the law has been relaxed. For the moment it still breaking the law, but very doubtful that anyone would ever get brought up on it.

They'd need to prosecute pretty much the entire population.:eek:

What's the name of your band?

Ferengo
19th July 2009, 08:22 AM
They'd need to prosecute pretty much the entire population.:eek:

What's the name of your band?

Yeah I know. It's become so common place and it's legal in the states so there's no way you'd ever get prosecuted. Still they have relaxed and are trying to change the law for music but with the video ipod there isn't any talk of changing the law for video on ipods. I think if they are changing it for music they should change it for video but it's doubtful that will happen.

The name of my band is "Ghosts in the arcade". If you want I'll send you a copy, just PM me your address. It's a live recording, meaning we went into the studio, played the track say 3 times, picked the best one and mixed it. Took 4 hours to record 8 tracks and 10 hours to mix.

The Dogfather
19th July 2009, 09:07 AM
IMO the sound quality on ipods is compromised by the internal amp, I've just gone out and bought a Sony Walkman to replace my nano as its not loud enough to be used as a feed for my car stereos.

Ferengo
19th July 2009, 10:47 AM
When I had my old Ipod I downloaded a program for the PC that let me crack the volume as Apple limits it in the UK, USA get a louder range. Can't remember what the program was called though. I know what you mean though as I use my ipod in the car and it ain't loud enough

GAJ
19th July 2009, 02:36 PM
When I had my old Ipod I downloaded a program for the PC that let me crack the volume as Apple limits it in the UK, USA get a louder range. Can't remember what the program was called though. I know what you mean though as I use my ipod in the car and it ain't loud enough
gopod!

Forbes
19th July 2009, 02:38 PM
I use my Itouch all the time in the car and it is great. Is there much point "breaking" or whatever it is called to get more programs on it? Does it still work with Itunes after that?

zimbo
19th July 2009, 06:52 PM
Zimbo, i assume you have the volume all the way up on the iPod and not at it's adjustable highest setting??

Yes the volume is right up on the ipod and then also turned up in the car as well.... :rolleyes:

Gemma B
19th July 2009, 07:24 PM
I bought a Sony X-plode stereo a year ago that's got the adaption for an i-pod, and it's the best sound I've had in a car yet. Definately no problem with the volume! ;) :shut up:

Gismo
19th July 2009, 10:40 PM
Yes the volume is right up on the ipod and then also turned up in the car as well.... :rolleyes:Ok, so there is also another setting that you can adjust, it's the max vol preset, so you don't accidentally hurt your ears, check yours isn't limited

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2009, 10:44 PM
Ok, so there is also another setting that you can adjust, it's the max vol preset, so you don't accidentally hurt your ears, check yours isn't limited

Alan, is that on the iPod or on Zimbo's car stereo? If it's on the iPod, where is it?:confused:

A.

Gismo
20th July 2009, 08:30 AM
Alan, is that on the iPod or on Zimbo's car stereo? If it's on the iPod, where is it?:confused:

A.On the iPod itself, well, it's on my 160GB classic, under settings, scroll down to volume limit.
Maybe it's not on the Nano etc :frown:

Ferengo
20th July 2009, 08:48 AM
On the iPod itself, well, it's on my 160GB classic, under settings, scroll down to volume limit.
Maybe it's not on the Nano etc :frown:

Good man :thumbs up:. That's got me a few extra DB's. should help on some of the older stuff on my ipod that's not loud enough.

I do remember a setting in Itunes where you can select all of your tracks and normalize them so theey are all at a similar level. You may want to do this before you go to bed as it does take a long, long time.