PDA

View Full Version : 3-D

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2009, 09:28 AM
Wee bit of market research, if the boss doesn't mind....:blush:

Modern 3-D....

Love it? Hate it? Never seen it? Always go to see a film in it? What have you seen in it? Too expensive? Not worth the money?

What's your thoughts?

Mind, I'm not talking about the old style red and green glasses rubbish, I'm talking about the modern style polarised "grey shaded" glasses.

A.

Knox18
17th July 2009, 09:33 AM
:thumbs up:

went to see BOLT 3D it was wicked :laugh:

but reaaaaaallly wish i'd see it in the IMAX

Livi
17th July 2009, 09:34 AM
is this one of your ideas for buying it at the cinema of yours?

my personal opinion would be that its a waste of money, i have seen a few companies like Cineworld/odeon charge an extra 5 pounds just for the 3D effect, on top of your original price it is pritty expensive.

so... unless its going to be cheaper, or i get it as a free prize draw or something then i will go see it and have a proper opinion towards it. :thumbs up:

also i understand they have to make there money back somehow :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2009, 09:49 AM
David, not sure it would have been £5 extra, but £2.00 to £2.20 extra is normal. And you're right, the exhibitor does need to recoup the investment from somewhere. Most installations range from £20k to £30k.:eek:

And yes, we're installing 3-D in the next couple of weeks.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Knox18
17th July 2009, 10:00 AM
it was only a couple of quid extra but it was well worth it, bit of extra banter :smilewinkgrin:

Ferengo
17th July 2009, 10:41 AM
Never seen it but would like to.

zimbo
17th July 2009, 01:45 PM
Never seen it and not sure If I would want to.

Gismo
17th July 2009, 01:59 PM
Wee bit of market research, if the boss doesn't mind....:blush:Hmm :rolleyes: anyway, nope, certainly not interested in having to pay extra for it, why should we?

For comparison, Alton Towers don't increase the entrance fee just cause they have installed a new ride :hand:

Business is business, the paying public shouldn't have to bear the brunt of any business trial etc etc

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2009, 02:38 PM
Hmm :rolleyes: anyway, nope, certainly not interested in having to pay extra for it, why should we?

For comparison, Alton Towers don't increase the entrance fee just cause they have installed a new ride :hand:

Business is business, the paying public shouldn't have to bear the brunt of any business trial etc etc

Good to hear your thoughts, but your analogy doesn't quite follow... Rides are what Alton Towers does. If we opened a whole new cinema screen we wouldn't charge extra because of it.

But by adding circa £20k of investment to give a new experience in cinemagoing, an extra charge is justifiable - all IMHO. And as much as I don't want to bleat about how poor cinema owners are, etc., etc (done that conversation to death), bear in mind if we charge £2 extra, the VAT man and the Distributor of the film take the brunt of that leaving us with just 59p of the extra £2. Takes a while to recoup £20,000 from 59p's at a time.

A.:D

Gismo
17th July 2009, 03:35 PM
Then we'll have to agree to disagree, i merely used Alton Towers as an example, they invested in new equipment and didn't increase the entrance fee.

More folks coming through the turnstyles would have the same effect as increasing the entrance fee

Stewart
17th July 2009, 04:04 PM
Have to agree with Gizmo on this. A-Towers has to reinvest to bring the punters back and I just think the cinemas need to give us a new experience…I’ve not been to the cinema since the Last LOTR Movie and only went to the cinema to see it as I wanted to see it close to its release and on a Big screen for the Massive Battles and Sound effects.

I think the Cinema is a more fun experience but I’m older and still see it as a treat from my time going as a kid. But the Kids are getting that wide screen on the wall of the Houses. I know many Kids that have never been to the Cinema as they now have 50” screen in there living rooms. I was talking the other day and a friend took her two boys to see that Ice age 3D and the kids loved it but all she could say was that after the tickets £21 and the McDonalds and sweets see was over £35.

Gemma B
17th July 2009, 04:58 PM
Loved the 3-D action at the panto (Aladdin) in Edinburgh last year :popcorn:, but not seen anything in the cinema with 3-D.

Forbes
17th July 2009, 05:15 PM
Saw My Bloody Valentine in 3-D when it was out and thought it was awful, mainly due to the acting. If they get good films in 3-D in terms of acting and story line it will work, but from that and what I have heard about the other 3-D film that was out a while ago the films let it down.

I know that as the film companys improve the films in 3-D it will get better but at the moment I wouldn't go see another 3-D film

Scottie
17th July 2009, 06:04 PM
I would pay the extra to see a movie in 3-d if it was a movie worth seeing in
3-d but I don't go to the movies much so the added cost wouldn't bother me.

I guess it all just depends on the pricing structure if it was £2 on every ticket whether it was a adult, children or OAP ticket yeh thats something to think over. Maybe there are bundle deals and it's £2 on top of that. As you can tell I have no real idea what the ticket structure/price is for cinemas. I would think though there is a body that stipulates what a cinema can and can not charge just like there is in Milk (other than promotions) so I don't see the problem with the extra charge.

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 12:24 AM
Then we'll have to agree to disagree, i merely used Alton Towers as an example, they invested in new equipment and didn't increase the entrance fee.

More folks coming through the turnstyles would have the same effect as increasing the entrance fee

Cinema's work on a very different business model though. Alton towers doesn't have to pay a license for their attractions of anything from 50% to 70% of their gate money to the licence owner. I'm not saying it's all profit, at the end of the day they are business and their product has costs involved, but they don't have a huge distributor commanding the majority of the take.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2009, 12:27 AM
I would pay the extra to see a movie in 3-d if it was a movie worth seeing in
3-d but I don't go to the movies much so the added cost wouldn't bother me.

I guess it all just depends on the pricing structure if it was £2 on every ticket whether it was a adult, children or OAP ticket yeh thats something to think over. Maybe there are bundle deals and it's £2 on top of that. As you can tell I have no real idea what the ticket structure/price is for cinemas. I would think though there is a body that stipulates what a cinema can and can not charge just like there is in Milk (other than promotions) so I don't see the problem with the extra charge.

That's not the case Fi. Cinema admission charges are a matter for each business to set and are generally influenced by the local market.

But, the £2 uplift is not universally applied. What we've seen is that if cinemas charge £2 for adults, it's £1.20 ish for the kids - that sort of variance.

A.