PDA

View Full Version : Mission to the Moon starting tonight

Scottie
15th July 2009, 10:19 PM
on ITV 1 anyone else watching.

Think it will be good.

I can remember following the story and watching the news on TV @ school:blush::blush:

euan
16th July 2009, 09:43 AM
I've kind of stiopped watching the moon programmes, the stuff on BBC2 has been superb. The James May one in particular was brilliant.

Stewart
16th July 2009, 10:03 AM
Must say After being under an actual Saturn Five Rocket I appreciate what these guys did……….I think I’ve seen this either on Discovery or something. If it’s the one I’m thinking its done with the build up really well, trying to capture the excitement off it all…

I like this kind of stuff and when its on WW II sites as well. Jeremy Clarkson surprisingly did a few great programs on WWII Raids and the VC cross…..:thumbs up:

Scottie
16th July 2009, 10:38 AM
I think Saturn are allans favourite rocket and yes
the James May one was very good.

Stewart
16th July 2009, 02:16 PM
Dam Lie to Me is on the same time, might give the recorder a go for the 10 mins its on....

Strange format 5 x 10mins shows........after the news.

Crombers
16th July 2009, 06:09 PM
All the Apollo stuff has me hooked. What was achieved 40 years ago was mind blowing & even today the entire project is fantasy stuff. These pilots/astronauts were very brave men indeed.

The few who landed on the moon said that to view the earth from another heavenly body was a life changing moment.

Best book I read on the subject was 'Man on the Moon' by Michael Chalkin

Missed the James May one, bollocks :argh:

Scottie
16th July 2009, 06:16 PM
All the Apollo stuff has me hooked. What was achieved 40 years ago was mind blowing & even today the entire project is fantasy stuff. These pilots/astronauts were very brave men indeed.

The few who landed on the moon said that to view the earth from another heavenly body was a life changing moment.

Allan has it on K in sky plus.

Crombers if your interested in that stuff Allan has a few books that he is more than happy to lend for you to read. let me know and I'll bring them Sunday.

Crombers
16th July 2009, 06:20 PM
Allan has it on K in sky plus.

Crombers if your interested in that stuff Allan has a few books that he is more than happy to lend for you to read. let me know and I'll bring them Sunday.

Fab & cheers :thumbs up:

What is 'K' on Sky plus ? , is that something you have recorded like ??

I'm up for a bit of 'Moon' talk on Sunday when were hiding out of the rain/gales :yes nod:

Gismo
16th July 2009, 06:34 PM
What is 'K' on Sky plus ? , is that something you have recorded like ??K = Keep, means after you've recorded a programme you can't accidentally delete it, but, one more key press is required to delete it is required and/or can have a number password attached to it

euan
16th July 2009, 06:43 PM

It was superb. He's really very good at these science type programmes, he is in awe of the guys and the topic, but asks them the right questions. The guys love him doing the interview as they can see he knows his stuff as well.

The bit when he went up in the spy plane was unbelievable.

Scottie
16th July 2009, 07:59 PM
Fab & cheers :thumbs up:

What is 'K' on Sky plus ? , is that something you have recorded like ??

I'm up for a bit of 'Moon' talk on Sunday when were hiding out of the rain/gales :yes nod:

Ok no probs. :thumbs up:

Stewart
16th July 2009, 09:21 PM
“The James May one in particular was brilliant “ – Agreed on that……………….:thumbs up:

The part in the U2 was a bit special, god knows how they got him that ticket to ride, to actually see the curvature of the earth from near space would be amazing. James keeps it interesting without overdoing it on the numbers side of things….

I also enjoyed his Xmas special on clasic toys like Airfix Flight deck and hornby toys.......

Scottie
16th July 2009, 10:18 PM
Typically the news gets it wrong again.:argh:

Nasa do not know for certain that the original images were wiped.
Allan has met Story Musgrave who also confirmed this.

The camera taking the pictures from the moon was full colour capable and it was filming in colour it then sent images to the LM which beamed them back to earth via Australia then America using the satellite of the day and then to the rest of the world this resulted in a 8 min delay due to weakness of the transmitters used in 1969 the picture became rapidly distorted meaning we saw the all to familiar distorted images that we see today and it looked like it was in black and white. Just a bit trivia.:D

Stewart
16th July 2009, 10:21 PM
http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/default.html?ViewType=5&Filter=45520

Not checked, but this looks to be it....

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2009, 12:00 AM
Typically the news gets it wrong again.:argh:

Nasa do not know for certain that the original images were wiped.
Allan has met Story Musgrave who also confirmed this.

The camera taking the pictures from the moon was full colour capable and it was filming in colour it then sent images to the LM which beamed them back to earth via Australia then America using the satellite of the day and then to the rest of the world this resulted in a 8 min delay due to weakness of the transmitters used in 1969 the picture became rapidly distorted meaning we saw the all to familiar distorted images that we see today and it looked like it was in black and white. Just a bit trivia.:D

Fi, have you seen the movie The Dish (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/)? Really good feel-good movie.:thumbs up:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2009, 12:02 AM

Man On The Moon by Andrew Chaikin was an excellent read - although it did get a bit repetitive towards the end. Was a source of inspiration and reference for the movie Apollo 13, I think.

Scottie
17th July 2009, 07:38 AM
Fi, have you seen the movie The Dish (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/)? Really good feel-good movie.:thumbs up:

yes

Stewart
17th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Moon Walk One on Monday looks good on Discovery 10PM.:thumbs up: it has to on the same time as my "THe Wire":argh:

"Theo Kameche's Extraordinary Film of the first landing thought to have been lost showing the Achievement in Staggering Detail"