PDA

View Full Version : Eye Laser Surgery

Gismo
14th July 2009, 04:26 PM
Anyone had it done, good or bad?

I've got an appointment cause my eyes are getting shockingly bad :sad:

Craig
14th July 2009, 04:33 PM
aye, he thought he had bought a supercharger upgrade for his motor and only realised when he got home it was a turbo... :Whistle::laugh::laugh:

Fairy
14th July 2009, 04:35 PM
aye, he thought he had bought a supercharger upgrade for his motor and only realised when he got home it was a turbo... :Whistle::laugh::laugh:
:clap::lol::clap:

john
14th July 2009, 04:50 PM
Anyone had it done, good or bad?

I've got an appointment cause my eyes are getting shockingly bad :sad:

Just wait till you can see properly and have a look at the graphics on yer mini:lol::shut up:

john
14th July 2009, 04:51 PM
OH and also Dougie is missing!!:eek:

Scottie
14th July 2009, 05:49 PM
I'd be careful if I was you. With your recent luck who knows what will happen.:p;)

Gismo
14th July 2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all the helpful comments :rolleyes: keep em coming :moonie:

Mini Ecosse
14th July 2009, 06:02 PM

:lol::lol::lol::clap::clap:

zimbo
14th July 2009, 06:10 PM
....my eyes are getting shockingly bad :sad:

WTF :eek: now I see why I was put in the lead a few times on our trip, it's becoming very clear now... :moonie: So is that why your selling your sat-nav, coz you cannae see it :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2009, 06:44 PM
WTF :eek: now I see why I was put in the lead a few times on our trip, it's becoming very clear now... :moonie: So is that why your selling your sat-nav, coz you cannae see it :rolleyes:

And why he's cr@p at COD4. PMSL.:laugh::laugh:

And better still, this is the OTAB forum, so he can't even delete any posts taking the pi$$ out of him.:clap::thumbs up:

A.:D

Gismo
14th July 2009, 06:50 PM
And why he's cr@p at COD4. PMSL.:laugh::laugh:

And better still, this is the OTAB forum, so he can't even delete any posts taking the pi$$ out of him.:clap::thumbs up:

A.:D:moonie:

Livi
14th July 2009, 08:09 PM
Alan....

I was looking into it, but they gave me 3 months to fork out 2500 quid! lol

i would go for it, but the guy who gave me my consultation had his done an said it was the best thing he had ever paid for.

the worse your eyes the dearer it is!!

maybe in a few years, but you cant put a price on your eyesight :thumbs up:

MiniSnaps
14th July 2009, 08:10 PM
I had it done about 10 years ago.....

Gismo
14th July 2009, 08:20 PM
At last, some sensible replies, cheers David, i'm hoping i wont be as expensive as that

Gismo
14th July 2009, 08:20 PM
I had it done about 10 years ago.....Any deterioration ?

MiniSnaps
14th July 2009, 08:22 PM
Any deterioration ?

Who said that?

:lol:

Sheilz
14th July 2009, 10:39 PM
Daughter in law is an optometrist and strongly advises against this. Cant recount all the reasons why some of her lecturers had been so negative about this other than the high risk of rapid deterioration in eyesight when deterioration strikes. If my memory serves me right she said something about when poor eyesight stabilises in middle age - in some instances it improves - mine did - if you've had laser treatment there is an increase risk of serious deterioration to the point of being left partially blind. Can ask her for fuller info if you want me to.

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 11:20 PM
Who said that?

:lol:

Getting your ears done next are we:Whistle:

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 11:24 PM
A woman at work had hers done about 15 years ago and she recons they need done again which may prove Sheilz point about them stabalising in middle age:frown:

Scottie
14th July 2009, 11:28 PM
a guy a my old work got them done and had a terrible time with infections afterwards. HTH.

AeroJonny
15th July 2009, 12:06 AM
A colleague's had his lasered and thinks it's great. Personally I wouldn't go down that route as I'd be putting my career in someone else's hands.

MiniSnaps
15th July 2009, 02:39 AM
Any deterioration ?

No, not really, probably no more than there would have been anyway. I only needed one eye done and I had a fairly weak prescription, so that probably helped. If you need glasses like the bottom of milk bottles then chances are you'll still need glasses, even after getting the surgery.

I'd also strongly advise not picking a surgeon based on price alone - the only reason I had it done at all was because Dr Charles MacEwen was offering the service. MacEwen was at the time the top eye surgeon in Scotland (he appears to work in Belfast now), I don't think I'd have had it done if it was some Eastern European doctor working out of Boots the Chemist's basement doing it....

euan
15th July 2009, 10:39 AM
On a serious note, I know two people who've had it and not had any issues.

In saying that, nobody is putting a laser anywhere near my eyes anytime soon. Who's to say it's not being operated by an evil doctor with the laser mounted to a fricking shark? :-)

I'm too much of a wuss and I quite like wearing glasses anyway, so it's not for me.

dellie
15th July 2009, 11:07 AM
One of the girls i work with had it done a year ago and is back to wearing glasses, she is her late 40s and thinks her eyesight is worse now than it was when she got it done. She was told by the doctor that constant VDU use can make it worse. I considered getting mine done but decided against it after speaking with her.

Fairy
15th July 2009, 11:44 AM
My Dad got his eyes lasered about 2 years ago - brave sole he was as he hates anything near his eyes and cant even watch me put in my contact lenses...it didn't really go to plan, his left eye went ok but he has been left with a misty haze in his right eye which really frustrates him plus after a year he is back to wearing glasses for reading

I was thinking about getting it done before him as my flat mate through Uni had her's done and she said it was money well spent...after seeing how frustrated my dad gets with his eye and it gets so dry and itchy, I'm gonna stick with my daily contacts

Good luck though Alan if you go ahead

Gismo
15th July 2009, 02:15 PM
All replies, good and especially bad duly noted :yes nod:

Livi
15th July 2009, 02:25 PM
it really does depend though - i mean, you will never find the right answer, people who have had it, love it and some people love it then find out its not worth it.

My uncle got it done and he said he has had no problems at all what-so-ever, and he has had it for 10 years and is coming into his 50's

im just waiting my time and taking a looooooong think about it before i decide :thumbs up:

Good luck with your decision Alan.

euan
15th July 2009, 02:50 PM
Indeed, it's like any surgical decision, you need to weigh up all the pro's and con's and decide if it's for you.

Would suggest getting a bit more of a "professional" advice than just here though ;-)

zimbo
15th July 2009, 03:11 PM
Would suggest getting a bit more of a "professional" advice than just here though ;-)

But were professionals in here too :lol:

Gismo
15th July 2009, 03:17 PM
it really does depend though - i mean, you will never find the right answer, people who have had it, love it and some people love it then find out its not worth it.

My uncle got it done and he said he has had no problems at all what-so-ever, and he has had it for 10 years and is coming into his 50's

im just waiting my time and taking a looooooong think about it before i decide :thumbs up:

Good luck with your decision Alan.Exactly, i'll seek as much info as i can before i decide :thumbs up:

Indeed, it's like any surgical decision, you need to weigh up all the pro's and con's and decide if it's for you.

Would suggest getting a bit more of a "professional" advice than just here though ;-)Exactly :thumbs up:

Crombers
15th July 2009, 04:01 PM
I've weighed up the pro's & cons & have thus far decided against it.
I now don't mind wearing my glasses petty much all the time (vanity disappeared with me a lonnnnnnnnnng time ago :rolleyes:)
Still have daily disposable contacts to wear but unless it's a belter of a day & I wanna wear my Ray Bans, I just canny be bothered. Before I shattered my left arm I used to be more active in the sports front & therefore used to wear contacts a lot more. My eyes used to get tired before the day was out however & the old specs used to be back on mid evening. I was told that facing a PC all day was probably the reason why :yes nod:

The best I ever got to perfect vision (since I was 18/19) was monthly continuous wear contact lenses which meant that you could see everying first thing in the morning which was bloody brilliant. However after about a year my optician reckoned it was time for a break. Can't remember everything that was said but I decided not to pursue these lenses again.

euan
16th July 2009, 09:35 AM
I've weighed up the pro's & cons & have thus far decided against it.
I now don't mind wearing my glasses petty much all the time (vanity disappeared with me a lonnnnnnnnnng time ago :rolleyes:)
Still have daily disposable contacts to wear but unless it's a belter of a day & I wanna wear my Ray Bans, I just canny be bothered. Before I shattered my left arm I used to be more active in the sports front & therefore used to wear contacts a lot more. My eyes used to get tired before the day was out however & the old specs used to be back on mid evening. I was told that facing a PC all day was probably the reason why :yes nod:

The best I ever got to perfect vision (since I was 18/19) was monthly continuous wear contact lenses which meant that you could see everying first thing in the morning which was bloody brilliant. However after about a year my optician reckoned it was time for a break. Can't remember everything that was said but I decided not to pursue these lenses again.

I've got the Acuvue Dailies, and they are massively comfortable. Cheap too these days.

Personally, I'm sticking with them for the moment.

Crombers
16th July 2009, 09:43 AM
I've got the Acuvue Dailies, and they are massively comfortable. Cheap too these days.

Personally, I'm sticking with them for the moment.

Must agree they are comfy & cheap but later on in the day I just reach out for the old 'specs'

Gismo
16th July 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks folks, certainly a lot of varied and honest opinions in amongst the banter :rolleyes:
I'll see what transpires from my consultation, seemingly i can have the op the same day :eek:

Knox18
16th July 2009, 02:50 PM
i'll do it for 50 quid, ive got a laser pen somewhere :lol::lol:

Big Gordy
16th July 2009, 02:57 PM
I'll do the local anaesthetic for free:knife::Whistle:

Crombers
16th July 2009, 06:02 PM

I'll watch :D

Scottie
16th July 2009, 06:06 PM
I'll do the slap to the face to wake him up after the anaesthetic:p;);)

Gismo
16th July 2009, 06:36 PM
i'll do it for 50 quid, ive got a laser pen somewhere :lol::lol:

I'll watch :D

I'll do the slap to the face to wake him up after the anaesthetic:p;);)

Thanks for the kind offers, reminds me of the slapstick comedy film Airplane :moonie:

Gismo
21st September 2009, 09:02 AM
Well folks, i was away in Glasgow this past weekend to have the surgery ;)
The actual operation itself wasn't very pleasant, especially with the sucker type thing they attach to your eye ball :eek: and then they use suction to keep it in place.

All in all, each eye took approx 1-1/2 mins to do after the sucker was applied.

Needed to wear sun glasses immediately and sit in a darkened room as any type of light was so intense it actually hurt.
Sat for about 15 mins, then walked back to the hotel, about 10 mins, aided by my guide dog Julie :D

Had a wee snooze and then we went to a restaurant right next door, was able to read the menu.

So, for me, a perfect result.

The after care appointment showed that my vision is 20 - 20 or better.

I can now even see the date in my watch, i can read a book and a newspaper and can work on a PC with no glasses and actually see the letters on the keyboard.

I apprecaite it's not for everyone, but, for any doubters out there you may be surprised.

Quote of teh day from the surgeon after he was finished:-
"Ok Alan, you can sit up now you're eye balls won't fall out" :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
21st September 2009, 09:19 AM
My eyes started to water just reading about 'the sucker' thing:eek:
Glad everything went Ok for you Alan:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
21st September 2009, 01:29 PM
That's cool Alan, glad it worked out for you. Now you can go back and edit all your posts to remove the typo's we were to embarrassed to tell you about.:laugh::moonie:

A.:moonie:

GCA3N
21st September 2009, 01:46 PM
Mice on mate wsa thking abot gettitting thiss myself but manngae ok too beee hnonsst.

Dont mike glaaassses.