PDA

View Full Version : jcw brakes

stoney
14th July 2009, 04:02 PM
any one know where i can find a how to fit the jcw big brake kit ????

thanx stoney :thumbs up:

john
14th July 2009, 04:09 PM
any one know where i can find a how to fit the jcw big brake kit ????

thanx stoney :thumbs up:

If you need instructions to fit them, I suggest you get someone else to do it :hand:

stoney
14th July 2009, 05:11 PM
not so much that just that if i have them to look at at least i know im not doing it wrong as i know what my luck is like

illegalhunter
14th July 2009, 06:15 PM
Is it not on motoring file

Livi
14th July 2009, 08:12 PM
give me until the morning and ill bang them up for you unless you get them before then

stoney
15th July 2009, 10:20 AM
give me until the morning and ill bang them up for you unless you get them before then

that would be brill ;)

Livi
15th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Give me a e-mail Stoney with the address at the bottom of my sig and ill forward them through

ELFMAN
15th July 2009, 12:35 PM
Stoney, you thinking about the big 4-Pots from the R56 Factory JCW? How much are they then? I know William's got them on his Cooper - nice!

Livi
15th July 2009, 12:39 PM
you thinking about the big 4-Pots from the R56

He has a R53 :p

Plus just checked this and the R56 ones wont fit if thats what you do have in mind?

ELFMAN
15th July 2009, 01:04 PM
He has a R53 :p

Plus just checked this and the R56 ones wont fit if thats what you do have in mind?

I know Stoney's R53 well - and have learned to fear it and its contents.... I've noticed a lot of the 'aftermarket' Big Brake kits require Spacers to fit. Is that what's stopping the later JCW R56 4-pots fitting the R53, or is the whole setup different? Wouldn't have thought so. Obviously you can get Big Brembo, AP Racing etc stuff to fit the R53 with the right wheel/spacer combination - even Porsche Turbo :cool: stuff, eg Our very own Turbo Nutter Webmeister...

If Stoney's after a serious brake upgrade (he can certainly go, so it'd be good if he could stop too! :smilewinkgrin: ), he'd maybe get a better deal with one of the bigger aftermarket kits than the R53 JCW Setup which was designed to fit the standard 16 inch wheels - the story that they don't fit 16's is pure nonsense. I ran the JCW Brakes for years on my '03 JCW 210, and was fairly happy with them as they were an improvement over standard - but mainly because I wanted to retain my fave 16 inch Minilites. If you have 17's or bigger, I'd go for a good 4-Pot upgrade.

Am I right or wrong in thinking that the present R56 S Brakes are similar to the JCW Brake Upgrade as used on the R53, which I heard were standard BMW Calipers from another model, but sprayed red and logo'd? I'm also certain I read in an R56 Brochure that the current JCW Brake Upgrade (NOT 4-Pots) for the R56 consisted of the STANDARD calipers, but again sprayed red with the JCW logo. Hmmm.

All very confusing. I think we should be told... :thumbs up:

stoney
15th July 2009, 01:43 PM
Stoney, you thinking about the big 4-Pots from the R56 Factory JCW? How much are they then? I know William's got them on his Cooper - nice!

nope its the r53 jcw kit i have to put on :thumbs up: need the improvment now cos i have had the injeters and 210 jcw map fitted now :thumbs up:

Livi
15th July 2009, 02:02 PM
I know Stoney's R53 well - and have learned to fear it and its contents.... I've noticed a lot of the 'aftermarket' Big Brake kits require Spacers to fit. Is that what's stopping the later JCW R56 4-pots fitting the R53, or is the whole setup different? Wouldn't have thought so. Obviously you can get Big Brembo, AP Racing etc stuff to fit the R53 with the right wheel/spacer combination - even Porsche Turbo :cool: stuff, eg Our very own Turbo Nutter Webmeister...

If Stoney's after a serious brake upgrade (he can certainly go, so it'd be good if he could stop too! :smilewinkgrin: ), he'd maybe get a better deal with one of the bigger aftermarket kits than the R53 JCW Setup which was designed to fit the standard 16 inch wheels - the story that they don't fit 16's is pure nonsense. I ran the JCW Brakes for years on my '03 JCW 210, and was fairly happy with them as they were an improvement over standard - but mainly because I wanted to retain my fave 16 inch Minilites. If you have 17's or bigger, I'd go for a good 4-Pot upgrade.

Am I right or wrong in thinking that the present R56 S Brakes are similar to the JCW Brake Upgrade as used on the R53, which I heard were standard BMW Calipers from another model, but sprayed red and logo'd? I'm also certain I read in an R56 Brochure that the current JCW Brake Upgrade (NOT 4-Pots) for the R56 consisted of the STANDARD calipers, but again sprayed red with the JCW logo. Hmmm.

All very confusing. I think we should be told... :thumbs up:

Its a totally different set up, the calipers are different designs, but i cant be held liable to say if they fit or not, in a way, if Stoney in this example, would like to fit the spacers and they work, then, i really cant advise anyone to do such a thing as BMW/MINI would shoot me lol

There will be aftermarket products out there for these types of modifications and im certainly unsure what Alan put on his S turbo.

JCW brakes are really top notch, but there will always be better in the market.

As for the R56 JCW the calipers are standard 4-pots as i dont have any other choice to pick from on spec listings.

The JCW kit does have a disadvantage of only fitting a 'certain' wheel aswell as size so that could be a slight problem for people who want to upgrade.

For the R53 brake upgrade, even the calipers are slightly different than the standard ones - so i would probs guess your having to modify parts to fit?

i dont know with hands on experience, but more of what information comes up on my screen.

i would ask if anyone has tried it before and have there input on the situation. :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
15th July 2009, 04:44 PM
So you couldn't fit STANDARD R56 S (not JCW) brakes to your R53. Which means they're not related to the R53 JCW brakes after all?

Stoney, why not try something like new drilled discs and uprated pads as a 'quick fix' if that's what you're looking for just now and maybe go for 'big brakes' later on? (if Christine lets you!). The R53 JCW set-up is quite pricey for what it does... it's definately better than standard for sure, but I'm finding my new R56's brakes probably as good as my old JCW setup when it was in its prime (latterly I was really needing to replace the discs, but hung on as I was trading it in) and I don't think I remember the JCW's being 'Oh WOW!' better than the standard ones when I swapped over.

So if you fit the JCW's don't expect miracles, improvement, certainly, but with all that grunt you'll still have to watch it. I was never that heavy on the brakes anyway, but you can still fade them, just not as badly as the standard ones. Not trying to talk you out of them - I was fine with them for ages, so they can't be bad! Why don't you give LOHEN a shout for some alternative ideas?

Gismo
15th July 2009, 05:05 PM
R56 brakes do fit the R53, but, in Stoney's case he already has the R53 JCW brakes bought from me;)

Livi
15th July 2009, 05:11 PM
So you couldn't fit STANDARD R56 S (not JCW) brakes to your R53. Which means they're not related to the R53 JCW brakes after all?

As i stated above, i cant be held liable for modifications and can only give you the 'proper' advice to what the car actually is ment to have on.

As far as im aware, both brake discs are 2 different numbers.

R53 Cooper S: Brake discs are 316x22. No effective date available.

R56 Cooper S: Brake discs are 294x22. effective in date 07/06.

Gismo
15th July 2009, 05:32 PM
Appreciate your hands are tied David.

I can't see the pictures, but, this thread on MINI2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-tyres-brakes/170225-john-cooper-works-r56-brakes-fitted.html) shows the R56 brake kit on an R53, i think :blush:

ELFMAN
15th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Sorry David, didn't mean to cause you any undue trauma, and I wasn't trying to get you to overstep what you could or couldn't say - I was just curious!

Also wasn't aware that Stoney had already purchased the JCW brakes from our illustrious site owner - that means he'd have got a decent piece of kit for a decent price (unless those nasty rumours are true...), I was working from the understanding that Rob was thinking about buying the JCW brakes as new from MINI. See what happens when naebuddy gives you the gen on whit's actually gawn on?

I'm away to fit that Top Fuel Dragster engine in my R56... I read somewhere it slots straight in with no mods. Wonder if the dealer would fit it?

Livi
15th July 2009, 07:48 PM
not to worry guys, im only trying to advise to save you guys money incase it doesn't work, but what gets me is, the guy got them from ebay, seems a bit iffy if you ask me. :rolleyes:

but hey, they might work, they might not someone has to try :p

also Alan, were they the brakes that i sold you that stoney has now?? :confused:

also just a thought but what year is the guys car on MINI2?? as the R56 has an effective in date

Gismo
15th July 2009, 08:00 PM
also Alan, were they the brakes that i sold you that stoney has now?? :confused:I never got round to fitting the disks and pads and sold them and the calipers to Stoney when i had the Porsche brakes fitted

ELFMAN
15th July 2009, 08:55 PM
It's like the end of a 'Whodunnit' Play when the truth is revealed in the Drawing Room. Lets face it, we've all been there.... Happy Braking everybody!