PDA

View Full Version : Ebays new dispute process

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 09:32 AM
Has anyone had any expericence of this? Well I have and here's how it goes.

Some of you now that I like and play Ice Hockey. Well the other day I thought it was time to by a good pair of skates. I'd been looking at the Reebok 9K skate. Costs about £399 new and a found a limited edition pair in my size "almost brand new" on ebay. So I bought them.

The arrived on friday but they were not really what I would consider almost brand new. They had several scuffs, and chunks out of them. Not bad condition and for £230 a bargain. I was still not happy so I sent the seller and email on friday. No response. So I sent one on saturday. Still no response. So on sunday I called ebay (A number provided for selected customers only). The woman I spoke to said to request the sellers information and call them. So I did. by the time the info had come through I had 3 responses fromt he seller. Despite asking for a return address he never gave one.

Monday morning and I called ebay again and said the seller didn't give me a return address. They said don't worry we'll refund you the money. So I thought ok. Then the seller asks me if I want to return them. So I called ebay again asking what to do since they are refunding me the money. The response was "ebay are not looking to recover any money from the seller. You are under no obligation to return the item". I get the skates for free? "Yes". So what happens to the seller "nothing". But they are asking me to return the saktes "You don't need to have any contact with the seller now".

I explained to the seller and they are happy enough.

I find it hard to believe but it has happened. Just mental but I'm up a pair of skates, the seller got their money and ebay is happy.

Hamish
14th July 2009, 09:36 AM
thats crazy, surely theres a scam potential here for 2 friends/acquaintances to "cheat" the system... cant believe eBay would leave themselves open to this? Its like theres a sucker punch to come somewhere, but if not, well done... result!

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2009, 09:37 AM
Strange system Grant. Not many businesses can afford to do that on a long term basis. And how did you manage to get a phone number for eBay?

A.

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 10:31 AM
Ebay sent me a wee credit card type thingy with the number on it:thumbs up: With the amount of money they're making off all the transaction (taking a fee for advertising AND a cut of the selling price plus whatever they make with owning PAYPAL) its a drop in the ocean for them to reinburse a few people with issues:eek:

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Strange system Grant. Not many businesses can afford to do that on a long term basis. And how did you manage to get a phone number for eBay?

A.

High & long term users get a phone number. Not fair but that's ebay for ya.

I agree there is potential for Scams and I couldn;t believe but it is true. I now have a set of skates and my money back.

Here's a link to a list of Q&A ebay posted on their site a while ago:

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y09/m04/i14/s03

Metal I tell ya!!!

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 10:39 AM
Ebay sent me a wee credit card type thingy with the number on it:thumbs up: With the amount of money they're making off all the transaction (taking a fee for advertising AND a cut of the selling price plus whatever they make with owning PAYPAL) its a drop in the ocean for them to reinburse a few people with issues:eek:

Yeah, Ebay have big and deep pockets now. It's to do with people who use ebay a lot and trying to keep them happy. Rather than go through a lengthy process of paypal claims they are just taking your word for it as they don't want to lose your business, but I still can't see why they're not making the effort to recoupe the money fromt he seller, but hey ho.

Bazthemod
14th July 2009, 01:35 PM
This happened to me with a mobile phone i bought off ebay. Was never arriving and never arriving, contacted shop/seller who wasnt very helpful so contacted the ebay number and got a refund. Few days later the phone arrived lol so i again called ebay and they said to keep it as the dispute had been settled :confused:

Result! :thumbs up::cool:

zimbo
14th July 2009, 01:50 PM
Well I have never used ebay...

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 01:57 PM
WHAT:eek: NEVER:eek:

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 02:03 PM
Zimbo, that's like saying you've never tried corn flakes. Go on, lose your ebay cherry :thumbs up:.

On another Ebay related topic, I bought a game about a month ago. It never arrived so I opened a dispute (Before the new system). After 20 days of no contact from the seller Paypal refunded me my money. 2 days later I get a call from Ebay customer support asking if I was happy about how it turned out. "yes" I said. "Well since there was a problem we will give a £20 voucher for use on ebay". Great stuff, but tha game only cost £2.25 and that's including the delivery charge.

I think ebay have money to burn.

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 02:21 PM
:eek: they did that with me too......£20 voucher....weird:rolleyes:
Let me know next time your selling something;):Whistle:

zimbo
14th July 2009, 02:44 PM
WHAT:eek: NEVER:eek:

nope NEVER.... :clap:

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 03:13 PM

Think of all the R56 goodness you could be getting at cheap prices...

Again Ebay are "Giving" Money away. Selected customers are getting to sign up for a points scheme. Every pound you spend = 1 point. Points will be converted into a voucher the user can spend in september. I can see fees going up somewhat in the near future me thinks.

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 03:31 PM

Cor blimey.....an ebay virgin....you don't see many of them in Dundee:moonie::p

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 04:13 PM
Cor blimey.....an ebay virgin....you don't see many of them in Dundee:moonie::p

Yeah "Zimbo the 40 year old ebay virgin" :p.

zimbo
14th July 2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah "Zimbo the 40 year old ebay virgin" :p.

Ahem!!! "Zimbo the 3* year old ebay virgin", not fe*king 40 yet, I got a while to go before that number comes up thank you very much!! :ragin:

MiniSnaps
14th July 2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Ebay have big and deep pockets now. It's to do with people who use ebay a lot and trying to keep them happy. Rather than go through a lengthy process of paypal claims they are just taking your word for it as they don't want to lose your business, but I still can't see why they're not making the effort to recoupe the money fromt he seller, but hey ho.

It's not because they have deep pockets, but rather because they are losing revenue and are desperate to retain customers. If this new EU ruling gets passed, restricting the sale of grey market goods then they'll be stuffed.

They've already had to pay millions to the likes of Tiffany & Co and Rolex for allowing counterfeit stuff to be sold on the site...

Scottie
14th July 2009, 09:45 PM
So can I buy a car using ebay tell them it's not what I had hopped for get a refund and also keep the car.

Cool:cool::cool::cool:

Ferengo
14th July 2009, 10:02 PM
It's not because they have deep pockets, but rather because they are losing revenue and are desperate to retain customers. If this new EU ruling gets passed, restricting the sale of grey market goods then they'll be stuffed.

They've already had to pay millions to the likes of Tiffany & Co and Rolex for allowing counterfeit stuff to be sold on the site...

True. I got an e-mail asking to sign up for a government scheme where they would monitor what I bought and see if it was genuine or not. I'd like to help Ebay on that matter but it's a bit "Big brother is watching you" so I opted out.

I hope Ebay doesn't go down the pan as it's great for getting cheap stuff. It just those some who ruin it for everyone else.

Oh and even though I have a new pair of skates now, sods law was that I hurt my ankle in a game on sat. Had to be carried off the Ice and a trip to A&E. So now I have a new pair if skates that I can't use. So yeah there iis a down side to getting something for free :p.

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 11:34 PM
I hope Ebay doesn't go down the pan as it's great for getting cheap stuff.

I think it use to be but some of the new stuff can be more expensive on fleabay:frown:
I remember seeing a guy selling front BMW mini mudflaps for nearly twice what BMW would sell you them for:eek: and folk were buying them:argh: Maybe its just the high street retailers are fighting harder for you hard erned now but there doesn't seem to be much in it anymore. Its also bumped up the second hand prices as well:sad: which is bad if your more of a buyer than a seller.

Aberdeen Al
19th July 2009, 03:54 PM
That system seems to be a lot fairer than what used to happen!

Last year I sold my Cyrus audio gear to pay for a multi-room system that I have. One of the items was won by a Dutch person who moaned like hell that I was charging him over £30 to post it to him even though I quoted it to him prior to the sale being finalised.

I posted the item, to the address suppled, before I left to go offshore for a 3 x week stint. Unfortunately it didn't arrive therefore, rightly so, he lodged a complaint that I hadn't sent the item. Being offshore I didn't have access to the tracking code so couldn't resolve th issue until I got home.

He demanded a refund which was duly paid and a couple of days later the item arrived back on my doorstep! He hadn't given me his full & correct address so it couldn't be delivered. When I informed eBay about this the basic answer was that the seller was in the right! Even after arguing the incorrect address issue they closed it out which left me being out of pocket for the delivery charge plus the selling fees :ragin: !

Ferengo
27th July 2009, 02:08 PM
Well...

Some of you may have seen my post regarding prams etc and the MINI. We founf one called the Bugaboo Bee. Quiet rightly I checked the net (Inc Ebay) for the best prices. I found one on Ebay Brand New In Box. So I bid and won costing £320.

It arrived on friday, Box had been opened and resealed. Everything looked fine but I'm guessing that it had been out of the box and put back in, like you would if you were getting shown how to put it up and down. Basically it had never had a kid in it I know this much. I was willing to just over look this as I saved £100 but...

This morning I get an email from Ebay informing me that the seller has been booted. So I thought I'd call ebay to say the item arrived in the above condition and that since they booted him I cannot get contact info for him.

Well they gave me all my money back minus shipping £320 refunded to me!!! I didn't at any point say I wanted a refund, All I said was I wanted to contact the seller. Since they booted him they couldn't give me his info. Ebay is getting madder and madder by the day.

Big Gordy
27th July 2009, 02:20 PM
Emma, Emma where are you girl:bigwave:
Sell your mini to Hamish right now......you know it makes sense:smilewinkgrin: You'll get your money, Hamish gets the mini and he'll split the refund he gets from ebay with you to buy another one.....sorted:yes nod:

Big Gordy
27th July 2009, 02:23 PM
Well they gave me all my money back minus shipping £320 refunded to me!!!

You jammy so and so.........:moonie: One free buggy then:thumbs up:
You don't want to buy some skates do you:Whistle: This could be a never ending cycle:laugh:

Big Gordy
27th July 2009, 02:28 PM
Wait a minute...!!!
You're telling us that over the last couple of weeks you've bought 600 quids worth of stuff off ebay and not had to pay for any of it :eek::eek:
I'm sorry but I think you're running a scam now and I'll have to report you to ebay..........unless we come to some kind of financial arrangement of course:Whistle::lol:

Ferengo
27th July 2009, 03:21 PM
Wait a minute...!!!
You're telling us that over the last couple of weeks you've bought 600 quids worth of stuff off ebay and not had to pay for any of it :eek::eek:
I'm sorry but I think you're running a scam now and I'll have to report you to ebay..........unless we come to some kind of financial arrangement of course:Whistle::lol:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I begining to think I'm sacmming to :p.

I admit, I think I went to Ebay too quickly the first time. Even though I asked for the return address and the seller didn't give me it, I should have tried again. This time though, I didn't even ask for a refund they just gave me it!!! I was going to let it slide but when he'd been kicked I thought hey I wonder if this would stand up to get a partial credit back. But there was no contaqct info, so that's why I called them, for contact info nothing else.

So is Cooper chick S still for sale on ebay...

Big Gordy
27th July 2009, 03:53 PM
The way you're lucks running right now I'd give it a go:thumbs up:

Ferengo
27th July 2009, 05:07 PM
The way you're lucks running right now I'd give it a go:thumbs up:

:laugh:

shaunbhoy67
27th July 2009, 09:03 PM
since on the subject of ebay i heard that when your selling things on ebay that they take a 15 to 20% commission charge from the total you sell your product at so your losing that amount each sale you make, dont know if its true just my uncle was telling me, he said couldnt believe how much he was losing on commision

Big Gordy
27th July 2009, 10:30 PM
That's right Shaun:frown:
Ebay charge you when you list it, take comission when you sell it, if buyer pays with paypal they also take a cut of the winning price too as there owned by ebay.........so they fleece you possibly 3 times per transaction:ragin:Don't think its as much as 15-20% more like 4-5% I think

GAJ
28th July 2009, 02:05 PM
The final value fee is now 10% of the winning bid. This is on top of the listing fee. And if your buyer pays by paypal you pay another 3.4% for that privilege, so it is about 15% all together.

Big Gordy
28th July 2009, 02:19 PM
Crivens:eek: no wonder they can afford to give Ferango all his money back:rolleyes:

Ferengo
28th July 2009, 04:06 PM
Crivens:eek: no wonder they can afford to give Ferango all his money back:rolleyes:

:moonie:

There's no listing fee if your items start price is 99p or less. £1-£4.99 is 15p. It goes up but the most you'll pay on an insertion fee is £1.30. There are obviously extras like extra pictures, subtitles but it now etc...

Yes it has gone up to 10% of the final listing price as your fee but it's lower if you are a business seller. It's not a huge jump for the 8.75% before though.

Ferengo
4th August 2009, 07:25 AM
This just gets better and better. After waiting for my money and nothing happening I call up ebay. I get told there is now an investigation going on in to it and I will get my money in 10 days. Wed arrives and I get £9.99 from ebay. I call them up and find this is meant for my Dad, so I refund it and put in details of what was wrong. I also get told a manger will call me in 48hrs.

Nothing happens so I call them up on monday morning. I get told that a manager has authorised my refund on friday and should be with me on tues/wed. So I wait and later that day the money arrives minus £9.99. I think wait, this is obviously because of the money meant for my Dad. So I think not to chase it.

10 mins ago the money arrives with the £9.99. They have paid me twice!!! One states it's a refund the other is just money ebay has sent me, and we wonder why the charges are going up eh?

p.s. My skates are now at £71.99 with 2 days left to go :D

Ferengo
4th August 2009, 07:30 AM
Just thinking they should change the name to Frebay :p

Forbes
4th August 2009, 08:02 AM
One day they will realise and come and take all their money back

Ferengo
4th August 2009, 08:02 AM
One day they will realise and come and take all their money back

Probably :rolleyes: