PDA

View Full Version : LED Panels

AndyP & Lenore
10th July 2009, 11:50 PM
Was in COSTCO the other day and they have a Samsung 46" LED panel for £1299. It was sitting next to a 46" LCD playing the same channel so I could do a reasonable comparison, bearing in mind neither telly would have been set up properly.... Picture was sharper, blacks were deeper and colours were more vibrant.

Kinda £pricey£ at the moment, but with mass-production this will come down like Plasma and LCD's did, but biggest seller for me was - and this is no joke - the panel was at least 2cm thick!!! Absolutely incredible how thin these panels are. The future has arrived.:thumbs up:

A.:D

GCA3N
10th July 2009, 11:57 PM
Was it defo an organic Led or just an LED. Did not think the OLED were out, especially at that price. The OLED TV's can actually be about 2mm think and even less.

AndyP & Lenore
11th July 2009, 12:07 AM
Was it defo an organic Led or just an LED. Did not think the OLED were out, especially at that price. The OLED TV's can actually be about 2mm think and even less.

Ahhh. Maybe just an LED then. Aye, pretty sure the box just said LED. Sod it, I'll edit the title and thread.

Wouldn't want to look an even bigger ar$e than I already do.:laugh:

Bazthemod
11th July 2009, 06:32 PM
They are LCD screens with LED sidelighting ... you gets black super black as it doesn't require a backlight - instead light is projected from the frame of the tv.

Try looking at one next to a plasma to see the real difference! I set one of our next to a decent Panasonic and it was night and day :rolleyes::hand:

Very pricey at the moment but that will change in due course.

Did you see the pebble you get with the tv for watching slideshows etc on your wireless network? :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
12th July 2009, 12:00 PM
They are LCD screens with LED sidelighting ... you gets black super black as it doesn't require a backlight - instead light is projected from the frame of the tv.

Try looking at one next to a plasma to see the real difference! I set one of our next to a decent Panasonic and it was night and day :rolleyes::hand:

Very pricey at the moment but that will change in due course.

Did you see the pebble you get with the tv for watching slideshows etc on your wireless network? :cool:

Baz, you stuck one next to a Panasonic and said it was "night and day" but then the rolleye's, so not sure what you mean. Do you mean the decent panasonic was almost as thin?

Didn't see the "pebble" thing. Never heard of it. What does it do?

This was in COSTCO mind, not a Curry's or Comet.

Bazthemod
12th July 2009, 12:55 PM
Was just sly rolleye to Panasonic lol most customers think they are the be all and end all of TV manufacturers but spec wise they are far from it! It's main reason i shoved a Panny next to it, funny to watch Panasonic fans stumble to find an excuse :p

The pebble is a remote control with just a few functions for scrolling through your photographs/media streamed from your wireless network or USB stick.

You also get widgets you can download for weather etc.

AndyP & Lenore
12th July 2009, 11:34 PM
Baz, got ya now. Panny's used to be good quality stuff. But these days they are definitely superseded on all fronts by cheaper and often better looking sets. All IMHO.

As for the pebble... everything seems to be going "wireless" these days. Sounds like a good idea though. It would make a rather large LCD Picture frame.:thumbs up:

euan
14th July 2009, 10:55 AM
Just to stand up for Panny, I bought one a year ago and it's awesome ;-) At the time Sony had just come out with a new model and the specs were very similar, but the Sony was more expensive as it was the newest model.

Horses for courses, but they are all pretty decent these days.

Bazthemod
14th July 2009, 01:27 PM
Im not knocking Panasonic, they do produce some decent models G10 range for example but they dont deserve the brand snobbery that they used to.

There are some customers that wont buy Samung as they feel it is a cheap brand lol... but then they wont stump up for Pioneer! Its funny :hand:

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 01:47 PM
There are some customers that wont buy Samung as they feel it is a cheap brand lol... but then they wont stump up for Pioneer! Its funny :hand:

Samsungs rock:cool: Got 3 now with a 4th for the bedroom not that far off the horizon:Whistle:

euan
14th July 2009, 02:53 PM
Im not knocking Panasonic, they do produce some decent models G10 range for example but they dont deserve the brand snobbery that they used to.

I didn't buy Samsung as I didn't like the picture, but some people love them (see BG post ^^^^) and in fact, I've seen some of the new ones and the picture quality is superb. It was also when they were doing red screen surrounds and the like, not a good look in my view!

At the end of the day, you have to buy the screen that you like (specs can only go far at the end of the day) as your the one that has to look at it for the next few years. When I bought mine I weighed up every model available, features, cost, warranty and how it looked, and bought what was right at the time.

Big Gordy
14th July 2009, 03:36 PM
Your right euan:thumbs up: my dads got some three letter named no-make flat telly and the picture is awful:eek: but he thinks its fine:rolleyes: It should be named an OMG as that's what I say every time I see it:argh: