PDA

View Full Version : Best Driving Roads

Monsta Mo Mini
28th February 2003, 07:08 PM
Nominations for the best driving roads in Scotland.
I'll start the ball rolling by nominating the the Tyndrum to Glen Coe road. Some of the most spectacular scenery in Britain combined with long sweeping bends and endless straights, FANTASTIC!

john
28th February 2003, 07:23 PM
Perth to Glenshee

Huntly to Turriff

Huntly to Alford

Alford to Lecht

Fontal
28th February 2003, 10:03 PM
Sumbourgh head to north roe up here on the bonnie Isle of Shetland, Admitedly its only 70 miles long but its a good drive.

Wul
28th February 2003, 10:26 PM
For my votes - i second the tyndrum/glencoe road - excellent choice.

other

Favourites:

Dornoch to John o' Groats - now that's where the word "switchback" was invented!

Arrochar to Tighnabruiach - up and over the "rest and be thankful" craking views, exclent twisties, brilliant straights, lots of grippy stuff and even some roads with passing places :)

Julz
1st March 2003, 04:06 AM
For a wee car like the Mini, the Kirriemuir to Glenclova road is fantastic is you like loads of little bends, 3m wide roads and sheep! (It also just stops, nowhere to go but back where you came from, or off road and up a big hill)
I would second the A93 Glenshee road, especially as it's our local thrash!:evil::)

miniscot00
1st March 2003, 04:15 AM
Glen Clova road is fun. I took my mum for a wee hurl up there just after I got the MINI. I'm sure there was a big dent in the passenger footwell by the time we got back.

Gismo
2nd March 2003, 02:32 AM
I defy anyone to beat the Cairn O' Mount road, an absolute true test of driving skill from any driver.

Bonnie Scotland

duncan
3rd March 2003, 09:51 PM
Blackford to Aberfeldy, through the Sma' Glen.
Mind you, that was in the works Sherpa van, never Mini'ed it.

Monsta Mo Mini
3rd March 2003, 10:30 PM
Done it few times in the MINI - it's a real blast(especially if the road isn't clogged up with caravans (and white van drivers;))

scott shand
4th March 2003, 03:28 AM
any road up the glenshee way is great!!!!!!!!!!

knaone
4th March 2003, 06:08 AM
cairn o'mount road is excellent! never taken my Mini up there yet, one day, i like the road just has some Ghosts there tho :(

David

Linda M
4th March 2003, 07:02 AM
One of Willie's favourite roads is the main road just as you head out of Doune :D He likes it that much that they've started taking his picture there and the pics are a snip at 60 quid :D:D:D

Willie M
4th March 2003, 05:09 PM
Oh.. Oh.. Someone call a doctor.. Quick, quick... I think I've just split my sides laughing :disapprove: GRrrrr !!! :evil::evil:
I can't help it if the police find me stunningly attractive :kiss:;)

scott shand
13th March 2003, 04:29 AM
just to add my thoughts, i have just been away on holiday with sharon to Rhu, loch lomand, and dunkeld and came across some brill roads the best.......... the road leading from dunkeld to blairgowrie, just great with fast open corners leading into some tight ones a perfect way to end a week long driving holiday:D:D:D covering a great 500 miles

Julz
14th March 2003, 04:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by scott shand

just to add my thoughts, i have just been away on holiday with sharon to Rhu, loch lomand, and dunkeld and came across some brill roads the best.......... the road leading from dunkeld to blairgowrie, just great with fast open corners leading into some tight ones a perfect way to end a week long driving holiday:D:D:D covering a great 500 miles

Tell me about it! Don't we live in the middle of some great driving roads! Rob used to work in Pitlochry and there's two great roads to get there! Mate wrote off a Lexus there a couple of months ago though!:dead:

Monsta Mo Mini
14th March 2003, 07:20 AM
Just remebered another one...

I had blanked it from my mind cause I'd scared myself ****less on it... but the Bonar Bridge to Scourie road takes some beating. It's 37 miles of single track but if you get it in the early morning you can see far enought ahead to really floor it. I even PASSED... yes...PASSED a BT van on it:eek::eek::D:D

Wul
18th March 2003, 12:20 AM
Well thats me back from my "minimoon"

Did just over 400 miles in three days - edinburgh - fife - fort william - loch lomond - edinburgh and had a real blast!

Did the Dalwhinnie to Fort William road for the first time - very good fun - single track in a lot of places with plenty twisty bits and lots of straights too.

Then back down through Glencoe - superb. then the Crianlarich to Tarbet Road - very twisty.

One tank of fuel just made it - averaged 39.1 mpg on the trip.

Monsta Mo Mini
18th March 2003, 12:48 AM
Welcome back! - sounds like it was a great trip, you got fantastic weather aswell! Hope everything went well on the big day:D

Wul
18th March 2003, 12:52 AM
Back to work for a rest!;):I

Linda M
18th March 2003, 01:13 AM
Welcome back Wul, hope the big day went well.......where's the pics?

Willie M
18th March 2003, 04:59 PM
Welcome home Wullie boy... :D

Woz
28th July 2003, 03:40 AM
If any of you want a great 10 mile blast and find yourself on the west side of Lomond you should look for the A817. This is a high spec military road built to supply the Faslane base.

Its a great driving road but has a feature that really makes it stand out. It crosses a valley in a straight line where both sides are LONG and STEEP (looks a little like this... V), it really does feel like the first drop in a big roller coaster if you take it fast enough and you can take it very fast :)

macblob
28th July 2003, 04:19 PM
My folks live over the hill from Loch Lomomd in Helensburgh

The Faslane construction rd os one hell of a blast , huge dips, some nice long corners and fast straights.

:D:D:D

Willie M
28th July 2003, 08:16 PM
Hmmmm... Methinks I'll need to investigate this one :D

GAJ
28th July 2003, 09:19 PM
Surely Best would be better off on a straight road. In fact he would be better off not driving at all and getting a taxi or am I missing something!

Woz
29th July 2003, 01:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Hmmmm... Methinks I'll need to investigate this one :D

You wont regret it. Once you start the big dip in the road, You will know it when you see it, just floor it and dont let up. If you are in Daisy you might need to let up but then again you might not :p

Disclamer: You should not take the above to mean that I encourage speeding, which is a blah blah blah blah

macblob
29th July 2003, 02:59 AM
That hill is nearly vertical with a nice right hander at the bottom if ur going from faslane over to loch lomond.

Mind you , both sides of the rd for the corner are usable as a clear view is avaliable from the monster drop in

Woz
29th July 2003, 06:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

That hill is nearly vertical with a nice right hander at the bottom if ur going from faslane over to loch lomond.

Mind you , both sides of the rd for the corner are usable as a clear view is avaliable from the monster drop in

Yep, you need to come at it from the Faslane end. Cant say I noticed the right hander but then I probably didnt have time to notice it wahahahahahahaha :D

DNV122
29th July 2003, 06:45 AM
In no particular order

- glenshee to braemar (the twistie bit where I got showered by Zoooooom's headlight washers, even though I was about 100 m behind

- Rothiemurchus to Loch Insh (this was our old bus route to school - have you ever been on a bus that has lifted the rear wheels of the ground)

- The Lecht to Aviemore - The Lecht - Are you brave enough on the way down ???

- Pitlochry to Kinloch Rannoch then over to Aberfeldy

Ohh I could go on and on....

beats living in the Sarff

Burple
29th July 2003, 09:54 PM
quote:
- The Lecht to Aviemore - The Lecht - Are you brave enough on the way down ???

Oh shiat yeah!!!I remember coming down there on the last AMOC run (summer show) I was on... 2 years ago???
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahah ahahahahahaha!!!
I got airborne at least once...
And 3 of us stuffed by a Porsche 911!!! Mwah hah hah hah...!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Julz.. that wee road from Bridge of Cally to Pitlochry...
Woohoo!! In the Classic Cooper last year.. did the road BOTH directions cos it was so much fun!! The big silver Merc had to let us past eventually.... and he was going for it - sideways everywhere! We never saw him again.... snigger... :D:D
just a speck in my mirror the last time I saw him! :cool: