PDA

View Full Version : Engine warning light on!

Delboy
3rd July 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi folks,
Thought I'd share this with you for info and comment.
My engine warning light came on yesterday - it was on steady in the normal orange light (apparently it can also flash and turn red :eek:). The handbook said something like "engine malfunction affecting exhaust emissions" and its ok to drive the car moderately but visit your dealer asap.
It was in Douglas Park in Hillington (Glasgow) this morning and they said it needs a new "electrical control unit" which, of course, has to be ordered :argh:. However, they gave me the car back to use in the meantime (engine light is off for the moment) and it's going back in on Monday.
Has anybody had a similar fault?

rpn
3rd July 2009, 08:33 PM
I though your car is only a couple of months old, is it? :eek:

Hope you get it sorted soon.

GCA3N
3rd July 2009, 09:51 PM
It's an 08, pretty shocking

KenL
3rd July 2009, 10:21 PM
It might just be sensor or something similar.

I've had two cars (not mini) which have had this. Both cases it was caused by a minor component and the engine was absolutely fine.

Delboy
4th July 2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I get the feeling that it is an electrical fault rather than a mechanical issue. DP also said the car is ok to drive, although I'm not going to drive it hard until the component is replaced on Monday just to be on the safe side.

Crombers
6th July 2009, 11:27 PM
Not good but your all covered under warranty, no car is perfect ;)

Delboy
7th July 2009, 07:59 AM
Oh yeah, it's under warranty.
It was in yesterday to get the "DSE unit and relay" fitted :confused:. Went back at 5pm, got the keys, started her up and the engine light was still on :argh:. I was slightly annoyed :ragin: so went straight back in and spoke to the service manager. He was actually very helpful and brought out all the notes from the guy who worked on my car - turns out they didn't actually know why the light was on as no fault codes had been stored and they took an educated guess...
So I left the car with them for further investigation and, to their credit, they managed to find me a courtesy car to take away (BMW 116i) so at least I'm mobile for now.
The saga continues......stay tuned :rolleyes:.

jam80s
7th July 2009, 08:42 AM
I had that light come on as described on my 08 cooper, took it to John Clark in Dundee for them to check it out, was told a pipe was loose and letting in air confusing a sensor, this was a few months ago the light has not come back on since. :clap::clap:

Delboy
7th July 2009, 09:25 AM
I had that light come on as described on my 08 cooper, took it to John Clark in Dundee for them to check it out, was told a pipe was loose and letting in air confusing a sensor, this was a few months ago the light has not come back on since. :clap::clap:

Maybe I will mention this to DP :thumbs up:.

Stewart
7th July 2009, 10:01 AM
I know you can have problems but thats poor that you've only had the Clubman a matter of weeks.........and you've had such bad luck with the Damage etc and this.

Hope next time all goes well...

Thing is why did they not check the light was still on or is that too much to ask these days, to let you go out and the first thing you see is the light was poor.:frown:

Delboy
7th July 2009, 01:12 PM
It has certainly not been the best start to ownership but I am still totally hooked on the car :yes nod:. All I can hope for is that once this has been fixed then I get a good run of trouble-free motoring.

As for DP not checking the light was off, I think they did and also test drove the car. Unfortunately, it doesn't come back on immediately after being reset and can take a few starts before it does - I guess they didn't expect it to either. They'll get the benefit of the doubt this time....

Delboy
20th July 2009, 09:29 AM
Believe it or not, my car is still not fixed :eek:.

This is Day No.16 that it has been in Douglas Park (15 consecutive days!) and they still have not found the fault :argh:. Apparently, the full BMW technical team and Zone Manager for Scotland are working on it with the DP technicians but, so far, to no avail.

I can hardly believe that this is happening - I want my car back :ragin:!

GCA3N
20th July 2009, 01:25 PM
I think this is now beyond a joke, I think you should be asking for a new car, i don't know how this stands but surely there must be a time scale to when they fix a car?

Delboy
20th July 2009, 07:41 PM
I don't think there are any fixed timescales to fix a fault under warranty. I also don't think returning the car is an option - plus I rather like this one!

I'll certainly be pushing for some serious goodwill gesture from BMW Mini when they finally do fix the fault.......:yes nod:

GCA3N
20th July 2009, 08:30 PM
I don't think there are any fixed timescales to fix a fault under warranty. I also don't think returning the car is an option - plus I rather like this one!

I'll certainly be pushing for some serious goodwill gesture from BMW Mini when they finally do fix the fault.......:yes nod:

Ah free mods, now were taking. I would have a word with the manager and ask him for suggestions. What were you thinking about?

Delboy
20th July 2009, 10:38 PM
I've registered my dissatisfaction with BMW Customer Services - they are the ones who will offer any goodwill gesture but will not do so until the car is fixed. Probably a good idea to wait because if it's another 16 days before I get the car back then the goodwill gesture will need to be much greater than if I accepted one now. (They have not indicated what form any goodwill gesture will take but I expect accessories would be a good bet.)

Guess I'll just need to continue to be patient and make do with the courtesy BMW 116i........ :yawn:

Stewart
21st July 2009, 09:37 AM
Not a great advert for buying a new Mini is it, that’s shocking that the car has been in over that period and they don’t have a clue…at the very least they look like they are not trying to flog you off with some excuse….

If that had happened to my car the neighbours would have been out asking about the Mini missing off the drive. Wish you all the luck with it, hope you get that call soon saying they got to the bottom of it and guarantee its fixed.

Ally S
21st July 2009, 01:33 PM
well i suppose it saves you putting miles on your mini... not much consulation though

Delboy
21st July 2009, 04:46 PM
well i suppose it saves you putting miles on your mini... not much consulation though

Er, no :sad:.

Forbes
21st July 2009, 04:53 PM
Lets you quickly experience Mini ownership...

How many days have you driven the car compared to days in the garage?

Delboy
21st July 2009, 07:33 PM
Lets you quickly experience Mini ownership...

How many days have you driven the car compared to days in the garage?

I haven't worked that out - it would be too depressing! This is Day No.17 that it's been in DP but you may remember that it got a window smashed and the back panel damaged by some idiot throwing a rock the day I collected it (30th May) so it was off the road for several days after that too :sad:. When I do get it back, it will feel like I've bought another car - it's been so long since I've driven it.

One slightly positive update is that I'm getting a courtesy Cooper S tomorrow instead of the BMW 116i that I've had for the past 2 weeks. It's not a Clubman but I'll take it :yes nod:! Still would rather get my own back though.

I'll keep you posted......

GCA3N
22nd July 2009, 06:03 AM
I haven't worked that out - it would be too depressing! This is Day No.17 that it's been in DP but you may remember that it got a window smashed and the back panel damaged by some idiot throwing a rock the day I collected it (30th May) so it was off the road for several days after that too :sad:. When I do get it back, it will feel like I've bought another car - it's been so long since I've driven it.

One slightly positive update is that I'm getting a courtesy Cooper S tomorrow instead of the BMW 116i that I've had for the past 2 weeks. It's not a Clubman but I'll take it :yes nod:! Still would rather get my own back though.

I'll keep you posted......

At least you get to go fast again. CAnnot believe your story so far, here's hoping it's sorted soon Del. By the way i think we're organising a party for amy on Sunday 2nd August, would be good to see you all.

Delboy
24th July 2009, 10:28 PM
At least you get to go fast again. CAnnot believe your story so far, here's hoping it's sorted soon Del. By the way i think we're organising a party for amy on Sunday 2nd August, would be good to see you all.

As it turned out, I only got a Cooper but it's better than the BMW 116i :yes nod:. However, it's getting changed on Monday to a Clubman Cooper as that is closer to what I should be driving....although not as fast :sad:.

So, another week comes to an end but my misery does not :argh:. Nobody is any the wiser about the fault and so the saga continues. Monday will be Day No. 23 in the garage.

Tune in again soon for the next exciting episode.... :popcorn:

Forbes
25th July 2009, 01:39 PM
Can you start asking for a replacement as this is ridiculous. Or a engine replacement under warranty.

Gismo
25th July 2009, 02:11 PM
Even i think you should now be able to lose faith in the car, it's certainly not fit for use and the car has been in the garage long enough in my book, i would begin the sad rejection process now

Craig
25th July 2009, 09:01 PM
I feel your pain del.. :argh:

My car was in the garage for upwards of 6 weeks.... :ragin: Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. ;)

Delboy
26th July 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your comments :thumbs up:.

As for rejecting the car, I've already had discussions with DP about this but it would seem that I've not got a good case, at the moment anyway. The car has only had one fault and they are trying to fix it along with BMW - if the car had experienced many different faults then they say it would be a better case. I'm not pushing it for now and will see how things progress this week before taking advice on my rights.

In any case, I really want to keep the car so am hoping it will be fixed soon - they are confident they will find the fault eventually. It's just the "eventually" bit that worries me...

audrey
26th July 2009, 11:12 PM
Hope this gets sorted out soon not even had a chance to enjoy it :frown:

Such a lovely car too

Good Luck with it :D

Delboy
31st July 2009, 05:51 PM
I got my car back! :clap::D

An engine vacuum sensor apparently - let's hope so!

Mini Ecosse
31st July 2009, 06:23 PM
At last!
Hope fault fixed and you can enjoy your mini:thumbs up:

Craig
31st July 2009, 08:10 PM
At last!
Hope fault fixed and you can enjoy your mini:thumbs up:

yeah, what Stephen says. FIngers crossed it's all sorted. :thumbs up:

Delboy
31st July 2009, 08:50 PM
yeah, what Stephen says. FIngers crossed it's all sorted. :thumbs up:

Thanks guys :thumbs up:. I really do hope it's fixed - time will tell.........

Ally S
3rd August 2009, 01:14 PM
good one. lets hope you can forget all about it now.