PDA

View Full Version : Update on doogz post below - i need some help!

Laura
2nd July 2009, 03:12 PM
As doogz_ mentioned in the previous thread I'm having some problems with my car and the dealership.

Pretty sure Smurf is suffering from the timing chain tensioner problem that is fairly well documented but Douglas Park will say absolutely nothing when I bring the subject up simply saying "theres nothing wrong with your car" :frown:

From speaking to Mini UK customer service ive found out that DP have said they will take my car back in for a few days testing but that they need to drop it off to me tomorrow because they have booked out the courtesy car i have. :ragin:

Really not too happy about driving it as I don't want to cause any damage.

Has anyone on here had this problem? Does anyone know of any dealerships that are actually dealing with this fault properly and not just ignoring it? I understand from mini2 that some people have had an engine rebuild rather than just the chain replaced.

Any help appreciated, really not too impressed by Douglas Park, dont even think i want them touching it now tbh!

ianking
2nd July 2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah I had this fault with my 1st R56 (2007 model)
I bought the car new from Eastern and then took it back to them. They were aware of the fault and carried out the tensioner fix. They asked to keep the car for a couple days so they could test it for 2 days on the trot when it was cold. Provided me with a nice 525 m sport courtesy car.
To be fair though a couple months later it done it once but only for a couple seconds where as before it dont it every morning really loud for a couple mins

My currect car R56 Factory JCW (2008)has (touch wood) never done it. I bought it as a 6 month old car from Scotthall Mini in Leeds. Before I bought the car they had carried out a tensioner change on it as they didnt want me to take the car all the way back to Edinburgh and not be completely satisfied with it. They said they were doing every R56 S and JCW on their fourcourt, (this was 5 months ago) so they were aware of it too. The dealer in Leeds done all of this without me asking. Infact they brought it up in conversation before I did.

Laura
2nd July 2009, 03:32 PM
I think I might give the dealership in Aberdeen that i bought the car from a call and see what they have to say. The only reason it went to Douglas Park is that it was due a service anyway and they will collect it from my office which makes my life far easier!

When the dealership replaced yours did they say anything about whether or not it was ok to drive it? I usually let it sit until the noise goes away before I drive it but I really dont want to cause any more damage.

ianking
2nd July 2009, 03:58 PM
I think I might give the dealership in Aberdeen that i bought the car from a call and see what they have to say. The only reason it went to Douglas Park is that it was due a service anyway and they will collect it from my office which makes my life far easier!

When the dealership replaced yours did they say anything about whether or not it was ok to drive it? I usually let it sit until the noise goes away before I drive it but I really dont want to cause any more damage.

Apparently it wont cause damage but any noise like that in an engine makes me nervous. Just drive cause if it blows up its covered with warranty. :D

japper
2nd July 2009, 04:16 PM

:eek:JC's Aberdeen fixed mine......................but damaged my car three times in the process, not recommended:smilewinkgrin:

doogz__
2nd July 2009, 04:19 PM
I suppose, the tensioner will be on the side of the assembly with the chain moving upwards when running.

Other than wearing the tensioner more, and the chain itself, it probably won't affect much, the timing is driven by the crank pulley pulling the chain down from the cam pulleys, which will be taught, since it's driven by the crank, although if you rev the engine hard, then back off suddenly, it could cause the cam pulleys to try and turn quicker than the crank pulley, due to their different section sizes and polar inertia.

I'm a geek. :)

Craig
2nd July 2009, 09:49 PM
I had this on both my R56 S. :frown:

I have had the fix (previous to this one which didn't actually cure it) at Menzies and also HF in Giffnock. Both had to be "persuaded" to do the fix, but I would always say that you have researched it on the net, quote MINI2, NMS, etc etc and how many other people who have had the problem and they will normally back down.

I know it is a hassle, you have my sympathy as I went thro 11 long months.. :sad::argh:

Hope you get it sorted OK. :thumbs up:

Laura
3rd July 2009, 09:54 AM
They dropped the car off this morning and the driver had no idea whether or not they had found a fault. I called them and got the same useless person i dealt with yesterday so I asked to speak to the service manager.

He was actually pretty helpful, knows about the fault, agrees I'm probably right and said he has no problem doing the job but he needs to hear it for himself first so its booked back in for 4 days next week.

They better not give me the horrible 1.6 1 series courtesy car ive just had back again...it was so slow! :argh:

japper
3rd July 2009, 10:43 AM
They dropped the car off this morning and the driver had no idea whether or not they had found a fault. I called them and got the same useless person i dealt with yesterday so I asked to speak to the service manager.

He was actually pretty helpful, knows about the fault, agrees I'm probably right and said he has no problem doing the job but he needs to hear it for himself first so its booked back in for 4 days next week.

They better not give me the horrible 1.6 1 series courtesy car ive just had back again...it was so slow! :argh:

That's a bit better, and you can understand they need to witness it before BMW will authorise replacement.

I know what you mean about the 1 series 1.6. We had one on hols year before last and i tried everything to get the back end out...........not a chance:p

Knox18
3rd July 2009, 10:44 AM

take it onto your field :thumbs up:

doogz__
3rd July 2009, 10:55 AM
She wouldn't let me!

ianking
3rd July 2009, 01:49 PM
Had no problem getting the back end out on my 130i when I had that :D.

I had a 116 as a courtesy car about 4 months ago and it was painfully slow.

Hope you get your car sorted soon.

AeroJonny
7th July 2009, 04:58 PM
if you're still struggling, harry fairbairn in irvine did my first tensioner no probs

GCA3N
7th July 2009, 09:18 PM
if you're still struggling, harry fairbairn in irvine did my first tensioner no probs

me too harry fairbairn did mine too, no probs

Laura
7th July 2009, 09:54 PM
They picked it up today and left me with a clubman this time.

Douglas Park are happy to do the work just so far have not managed to hear it and wont obviously fix it until they do. They have it until Friday so we will see what happens. Fingers crossed!

AeroJonny
8th July 2009, 10:23 PM
good luck! If it happens again, film it on your phone;)

doogz__
9th July 2009, 10:37 AM
The service manager dude phoned yesterday and said he still hasn't heard it yet, but he's happy to take our word and do the job anyway, so he's doing it today and giving us the car back tomorrow. Much happier with the service this week from them.

Craig
9th July 2009, 06:18 PM
The service manager dude phoned yesterday and said he still hasn't heard it yet, but he's happy to take our word and do the job anyway, so he's doing it today and giving us the car back tomorrow. Much happier with the service this week from them.

sounds like a result at last. :thumbs up:

fingers crossed it's all better when you get it back :yes nod:

doogz__
10th July 2009, 08:10 AM
Hope so, but even if it's not, it'll still be better than the Cooper Clubman they left us with. I don't like it!

Laura
10th July 2009, 06:57 PM
got my car back seems fine so far, fingers crossed!

The service manager Bill was actually really great in the end. Took my word and fixed it even though he had not heard the noise it was making and called me several times to let me know how it was going. Think my problems in the beginning were just the person answering the phone! :rolleyes:

Craig
10th July 2009, 08:41 PM
got my car back seems fine so far, fingers crossed!

The service manager Bill was actually really great in the end. Took my word and fixed it even though he had not heard the noise it was making and called me several times to let me know how it was going. Think my problems in the beginning were just the person answering the phone! :rolleyes:

that is the problem sometimes, getting past the phone answering type person and getting to talk to a techy. ;)

Hope it is permanently fixed. :thumbs up: