PDA

View Full Version : Left Foot Braking

doogz__
1st July 2009, 11:06 AM
I wasn’t too sure where to put this thread, so if it’s in the wrong place, I apologise in advance.

Was thinking about this a week or so ago, after a spirited drive in the Mini, where I encountered some epic roundabouts, and I meant to post at the time.

Anyone else left foot brake in their Mini? I was coming onto a roundabout, and naturally, the car started to understeer. I dabbed the brakes lightly with my left foot, and the car jerked really badly sideways, big oversteer moment. Does the fly by wire ecu cut the throttle when you touch the brakes? I haven’t tried it again since, the Mini is ill and is going to get fixed today hopefully.

Anyone else noticed this? Anything that can be done about it?

GCA3N
1st July 2009, 01:01 PM
There is an unbuilt safety feature which will cause the ecu to cut engine power I truer it once in my r50 and sure enought the car engine died. I think the reason for your car doingwhat it did was because it takes alot of practice left foot braking you left foot is only used to one motion and that is depressing the clutch naturally it will want to the same when you try to touch the brake.

doogz__
1st July 2009, 01:11 PM
So there is something built into the ECU that cuts power when you touch the brakes?

Thanks for the concern, but my driving wasn't the issue, and besides, you occasionally get the same problem when you heel and toe down the gears.

ianking
1st July 2009, 01:51 PM
Should driving in such a fashion not be best left to the track anyway.

There is a track night this month.

doogz__
1st July 2009, 01:57 PM
Having a blast round a roundabout in a Mini, is frowned upon on a Mini forum?

i only came on to ask for a little bit of technical advice on a car, no need to turn it into anything other than that.

I'm not into taking road cars on track. Last time i took my Subaru onto Knockhill for a track night, i destroyed a brand new front left tyre in about 15 laps, and i'd imagine i'd do the same in the Mini. Soon as my garage is cleared, the 106 will be in it and fixed and that'll be the track whore for now.

japper
1st July 2009, 02:15 PM
Most modern 'drive by wire' throttle cars cut the gas as soon as the brake is applied. Why would you want to use both at the same time:confused: This is not what is meant as 'left foot braking'. Try going in a little slower and get the nose 'nailed' Slow in and fast out:thumbs up:

doogz__
1st July 2009, 02:26 PM
Em, that is exactly what is meant by the term "left foot braking"

It'll help transfer the load towards the front wheels, helping control understeer/promote a bit of oversteer.

HTH.

Anyway, my question has been answered. Ta.

countdown
2nd July 2009, 12:49 AM
Most modern 'drive by wire' throttle cars cut the gas as soon as the brake is applied. Why would you want to use both at the same time:confused: This is not what is meant as 'left foot braking'. Try going in a little slower and get the nose 'nailed' Slow in and fast out:thumbs up:

Pretty sure left foot braking involves using both throttle and brakes at same time....

Also mentioned in the highway code (I think) left foot braking, but thats to dry off the brakes if you've driven through a ford;)

japper
2nd July 2009, 07:36 AM
Em, that is exactly what is meant by the term "left foot braking"

It'll help transfer the load towards the front wheels, helping control understeer/promote a bit of oversteer.

HTH.

Anyway, my question has been answered. Ta.

OK I stand corrected, i honestly believed that it was always rapid changing between left and right foot ( brake and gas ) and using the left foot obviously cut down on pedal transfer time. It seems that there is an overlap:smilewinkgrin: and also for traction it can be used too.

i've always found lifting off is more than adequate to promote as much oversteer or rather less understeer as i need:confused:

I do have more neg front camber and a thicker rear ARB though:smilewinkgrin:

doogz__
2nd July 2009, 08:32 AM
As a technique it can be used for a few things.

The point in left foot braking though, in a FWD car, like we're discussing, is that you don't have to lift off.

When you're lifting off, you're loosing speed, if you stay on the throttle, and use the brake to keep the front end in check, you'll get round quicker.

If you're ever going to try it, find a long, straight, and most importantly empty piece of road, to try braking with your left foot in a straight line, til you get used to the amount of pressure required.

stoney
2nd July 2009, 08:48 AM
ok the mini has a habbit of doing that on roundabouts mine dose it if i go in a bit hard i some times use left foot if realy having a sprited drive

japper
2nd July 2009, 09:13 AM
As a technique it can be used for a few things.

If you're ever going to try it, find a long, straight, and most importantly empty piece of road, to try braking with your left foot in a straight line, til you get used to the amount of pressure required.

I'm well aware of the amount of pressure required, but never used both pedals exactly at the same time. As said, it's impossible on modern cars.:smilewinkgrin:

doogz__
2nd July 2009, 09:19 AM
Works on my Audi.

japper
2nd July 2009, 09:36 AM
Works on my Audi.

Sorry, meant to state 'most' modern cars. When i had my last two Audi's this issue was discussed on Audi-sport.net and i thought it affected most Audi's too, it certainly cut the throttle on my A3:confused:

Hamish
2nd July 2009, 09:50 AM
It cuts the power on my dads Audi, mums Jazz and sisters Lupo lol... not that I'm harsh on their motors :D hehe ;)

Knox18
2nd July 2009, 09:51 AM
cant left foot brake my mums sharan so i just use the handbrake instead to brake the back end :Whistle:

doogz__
2nd July 2009, 10:01 AM
Is that why the handbrake on that thing is so sh*gged?

doogz__
2nd July 2009, 10:02 AM
Hamish, this Audi, which engine is it?

Hamish
2nd July 2009, 10:12 AM
Its an Audi TT, 1.8, just the 180, it was one of first ones in country and unforunately he's kept it... NOWT but PROBLEMS.

Everything has gone wrong on that car but he likes the look of it so he's keeping it :( lol

doogz__
2nd July 2009, 10:14 AM
I thought the very early ones had a throttle cable, like the MK4 Golf's.

Who knows!

Hamish
2nd July 2009, 10:20 AM
lol I was shocked when I first did it... nearly went through the windscreen hahaha.

leeg87
2nd July 2009, 10:45 AM
the ecu doesnt cut power if you apply the brakes with the throttle at the same time.

2 ways to try this out, sit at standstill with your foot on the brake and act like a twunt revving your engine. or, drive at say 30 or whatever, apply brakes gently whilst keeping your foot on the engine - its just increases the load on the engine

japper
2nd July 2009, 10:59 AM
I thought the very early ones had a throttle cable, like the MK4 Golf's.

Who knows!

I thought that too, My TT was an 03 plate and my A3 was a 54 plate, both with DBW throttle.

Hamish
2nd July 2009, 06:54 PM
I thought that too, My TT was an 03 plate and my A3 was a 54 plate, both with DBW throttle.

lol, guess what i'm off to go and check again!!! not tried it an ages as I thought it was cutting the power but will double check tonight :cool:

Gaz-Muir
7th August 2009, 11:17 AM
You shouldn't be waiting till the car's understeering till you left foot brake, you need the front wheels to have grip for it to work, obviously..

Im also guessing your using it to get the car going sideways rather than trying to get round quickly? Sideways looks best but isnt quickest! :sad:

My Mini doesn't cut the throttle when i touch the brake!!?? :confused: