PDA

View Full Version : Power delay

lowrider
28th June 2009, 12:30 PM
I have recently been having a delay in power especially when pulling away (planting it!) The best way to describe it is a gradual release of power, instead of a quick response, like the choke being on. The fault seems to come and go. It coincides with the fitting of a Playmini exhaust. Could this, combined with my BMC cold air induction kit cause a build in back pressure which would delay the power ?
I have an open filter (DM Works) which I may fit or should I re-fit the original airbox with a standard performance filter (any sellers let me know!)

This fault is a paint as I don't know when it will come on :argh:

As usual all advice appreciated :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
2nd July 2009, 01:10 PM
Lowrider - what motor are you running? A few years back, I fitted a Pipercross Foam/Cone Induction kit to my '01 Cooper. The car was standard apart from a Magnex Exhaust System and had been running as sweet as a nut. After I put on the Pipercross, the performance was 'flat', lost responsiveness and had to be 'wrung out' to get it to go. I also thought it was far too noisy, and I usually like a bit of a racket from my cars! I ran it for a week or so, took it off and replaced it with the standard airbox, hey presto, performance back to normal. At the time, I put it down to the engine drawing in hot air from the engine compartment. I didn't really have the 'intermittent' nature you're having, it was just generally 'off-colour' all the time. I'd have thought the Playmini would've REDUCED back pressure - although I know these things aren't always straightforward.

I also had a Playmini system on my '02 S, and it worked a treat on both the standard car and when it was in its final JCW 210/GRS 'Cooler/Playmini Manifolded version. Playmini systems have seemed to work really well on lots of NMS cars through the years, so it's funny that it would cause a problem unless there's a glitch in combination with something on your induction side.

I know others have run induction kits and exhausts with no problems (eg Crombers).... while others have had custom ECU Remaps to get the most from these upgrades. This all probably isn't much use to you, but the problem just sounded familiar to my old 'Pipercross Incident'. Best of luck anyway - I'm sure somebody more technically adept will be along soon!

lowrider
2nd July 2009, 06:26 PM
2002 cooper
It coincides with the fitting of a Playmini exhaust, combined with my BMC cold air induction kit. What you describe is pretty close to what seems to have happened to my performance, though it comes and goes.

I have a DM Works filter with heat shield(open filter) and scorpion imola exhaust which does not have the straight through centre pipe(unlike the playmini which does) which I am thinking about trying out. I want to get the right combination as I feel I have lost the performance.

I was thinking about re-installing the standard air-box with a perfomance filter and leaving the playmini on to see if that makes a difference (anyone with a spare filter for a 2002 cooper let me know)

What ever combination works I will then sell on the rest of the parts though I had thought my cold air induction kit and playmini combination would have worked well together (back to the drawing board:frown:)

ELFMAN
2nd July 2009, 06:59 PM
I'd stick the standard Airbox back on with the Playmini just to see what happens....

Following from what you were saying, I fitted an 'ITG' replacement element in my JCW 210 Airbox - they're good filters - and they'll probably do one for your Cooper - ask Lohen. Was at Doune Hillclimb last year and noticed that loads of the competitors were running ITG filters. Anyway, hope it all works out for you. Might be a decent compromise... cold air from the MINI box and decent flow from the ITG?

lowrider
3rd July 2009, 09:44 PM
Dug out the standard airbox and noticed one of the retaing clips is broken (ar*e) If anyone has a spare r50 fitment airbox lid that would fit my 2002 cooper let me know. Thanks

lowrider
13th July 2009, 03:50 PM
Strangest thing. The car is now running as sweet as..... It is really responsive.It still has the combination of Playmini exhaust and BMC CAI kit. Could the fault have been that the ECU had to adapt to the new setting ? If this was the case what mileage would you cover on average until the ECU adapts. It's been about four weeks and approx 200 miles since fitting.
Advice appreciated. Would a rolling road be a good idea?

Gismo
13th July 2009, 03:58 PM
When i had the turbo conversion i struggled to get better than 18mpg, the ecu learned to adapt and i got up to 25mpg within about 600 miles

lowrider
13th July 2009, 04:10 PM
Interesting. I think I will stick with this set up for now.

GCA3N
13th July 2009, 07:30 PM
When i had the turbo conversion i struggled to get better than 18mpg, the ecu learned to adapt and i got up to 25mpg within about 600 miles

25mpg :eek: you poor man.

lowrider
16th July 2009, 04:51 PM
Since the 13th the car has been running sweeeeet!
24mpg, I was getting 22mpg from my mx5 during the fuel crisis,£1.40 a litre hurts!

Johnleiper
17th July 2009, 01:08 AM

battery reset:thumbs up:

lowrider
19th July 2009, 01:32 PM
By battery reset I take it you mean that fixes such problems?