PDA

View Full Version : Unlucky car week

Forbes
27th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Just got back from Paris. Got to Prestwick Airport carpark, windscreen was filthy so cleaned it to find i have a crack in it (right behind the mirror). Which must have been caused on my way down on Mon/Tues night as i had cleaned the car.

Arrived home to find a nice letter from Central Scotland Safety Camera Partnership letter saying i have been caught speeding (on the way to the TWR) on the friday and have 3 points and a fine:eek: I slammed on my brakes when i saw the van but it must have caught me at the corner. 81mph on the Perth - Stirling stretch:ragin: Not sure how as i was going easy as I was making good time and my speedo never went near that:argh: Usually when i tells you your speed at the side of the road I am at 28mph when the sign says that I am doing 30mph. But these things happen.

illegalhunter
27th June 2009, 05:23 PM
The moral of the story , dont wash it

Craig
27th June 2009, 07:23 PM
unlucky Ben... I can get you a copy of your picture if you want... ;)

it would be just around dunblane the van sits on the left in a layby.... :yes nod:

GCA3N
27th June 2009, 07:55 PM
hard lines Dude must be the weather for it. Sorry fot your hard luck.

KenL
27th June 2009, 08:02 PM
Usually when i tells you your speed at the side of the road I am at 28mph when the sign says that I am doing 30mph.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

With regards to your speedo, it is unusual for them to quote a speed less than you are actually doing. Usually they say more than you are really doing?

Have you got wheels/tyres with a different overall diameter than standard?

birdog
28th June 2009, 12:07 AM
You`ll just have to start running around with no front licence plate on, mobile cameras and the average speed cameras won`t get you.

Its a £50 fine for not having a front plate, but no points.

GCA3N
28th June 2009, 12:19 AM
Just got back from Paris. Got to Prestwick Airport carpark, windscreen was filthy so cleaned it to find i have a crack in it (right behind the mirror). Which must have been caused on my way down on Mon/Tues night as i had cleaned the car.

Arrived home to find a nice letter from Central Scotland Safety Camera Partnership letter saying i have been caught speeding (on the way to the TWR) on the friday and have 3 points and a fine:eek: I slammed on my brakes when i saw the van but it must have caught me at the corner. 81mph on the Perth - Stirling stretch:ragin: Not sure how as i was going easy as I was making good time and my speedo never went near that:argh: Usually when i tells you your speed at the side of the road I am at 28mph when the sign says that I am doing 30mph. But these things happen.

It's up to you whether or not you just accept the ticket and points. I would suggest at 81 in a 70, you would probably ...PROBABLY not get persued on this. Generally they won't go to for this type of speed. I had a friend who go done twice in a week one (83mph) got time barred (ie 6 months passed) and it never went to court. If you feel strongly about this then don't pay it and worse case you go to court, worse case £80-100 and 3 points. If you want another bit of info that will probably get you off give us a call and I'll tell you what to do. Pm'd you my number.

Crombers
28th June 2009, 09:29 AM
The moral of the story , dont wash it

& ease off that throttle :Whistle:

Seriously, nae luck re the speed camera, I reckon it's just your 'donald duck' half the time as we all like to motor along in our cars. As for the windscreen I too have a couple of 'nicks' in my brand new one all of which were from the Twighlight Run (still would'nt ever stop me from attending mind:yes nod:). I take it your insurance will cover the front screen.

RyanK
28th June 2009, 04:07 PM
GUTTER!!! Sorry to hear about that, pain in the ass regarding window aswell!

you must of passed the van at around 85?? Speedo is usually out by 5mph or at least to my experience

Gismo
28th June 2009, 04:13 PM
I thought speedo's actually read higher than what you are travelling at, at least according to my road pilot and tom tom sat nav devices :thud:

RyanK
28th June 2009, 04:36 PM
Yeh same here, when im doing 80 the roadpilot tells me im doing 75/76mph.

Forbes
28th June 2009, 05:19 PM
Thats the thing I am sure I was doing slower. Must of just heavy footed for a bit.

I wouldn't mind the photo Craig...

CoNs
1st July 2009, 10:10 AM
did u get screen sorted?

doogz__
1st July 2009, 10:46 AM
Unlucky getting caught.

As said, it can depend on tyre size. You think when you buy a Mini, and some nice new wheels and tyres for it, when they take the 15's off and put the 17's on for you to pick it up, that they recalibrate the speedo?

Doubt it.

The differences would be minor though, couple of %. Couple of MPH.

KenL
1st July 2009, 11:35 AM
As said, it can depend on tyre size. You think when you buy a Mini, and some nice new wheels and tyres for it, when they take the 15's off and put the 17's on for you to pick it up, that they recalibrate the speedo?

Bigger wheel tyre combos should have the same(ish) overall diameter as the tyres have reduced cross-section.

I thoguht the police also built in some allowance for all these tolerances.

I have heard speed cameras are set to trigger at +10% plus a couple of mph.

In other words you should not trip one if doing less than 79mph.

This is what I have heard and in no way is a suggestion that people should speed!

doogz__
1st July 2009, 11:42 AM
They don't, or won't neccesarily have a reduced cross section, i think you mean profile.

And you're right, generally on bigger wheels, lower profile tyres are used, but they won't return the exact same rolling radius, leading to the small differences.

Speed camera's operated by different police forces, have different tolerances set.

In strathclyde you used to get 10% +3 of the speed limit before you'd get done. so on a motorway, 70 + 10% +3 = 80MPH.

Not sure if that's still what it is or not.