PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Pulley

birdog
25th June 2009, 07:24 PM
Hello

I am going to be fitting a -15% S/C pulley at the weekend.

There are a few other things I`ll be doing, then I`ll get a re-map, question is am I likely to cause any damage to the engine running the smaller pulley without getting the re-map ?

Or will the ECU compensate automatically to the increased pressure ?

Cheers

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2009, 10:30 PM
I can't speak as any kind of expert, but I think it's pretty common to get a reduced supercharger pulley without the next step of the re-map. A re-map will extract the best out of the engine with the reduced pulley, but not a prerequisite.

A.

t18tav
25th June 2009, 11:39 PM
I have a 15 % pulley and no re-map and i have had no problems with it so far.

MartinSullivan
26th June 2009, 02:11 AM
The car will run fine without a remap, the ecu is pretty good at adapting, you will get the full benefit with a remap

Gismo
26th June 2009, 05:17 AM
Only suggestion i would make is to make sure you have the correct tool for removing the pulley cause any kind of problem will be made worse when you fit the new one.

antihero3000
26th June 2009, 08:23 AM
As the guys have said above, fitting the 15% will do no harm. Your GP already has a decent intercooler and colder plugs so you'll be fine.

KenL
26th June 2009, 02:53 PM
Does fitting a reduced pulley (with or without remap) not put some sort of increased stress on the engine or parts of it?

antihero3000
26th June 2009, 03:00 PM
Increased boost and the supercharger will be spinning faster so yes, there will be slightly more wear on the engine components.

KenL
27th June 2009, 08:04 PM
Increased boost and the supercharger will be spinning faster so yes, there will be slightly more wear on the engine components.

Ta :thumbs up:

Gismo
28th June 2009, 05:37 AM
Does fitting a reduced pulley (with or without remap) not put some sort of increased stress on the engine or parts of it?It's a bit like driving at 70mph on a motorway, if you drove at 30mph you wouldn't put as much stress on the car as you would at 70mph.
Surely even an educated guess you could have answered you're own question, i can't believe you didn't know the answer :rolleyes:
I get the feeling you don't like folks making any mods to their cars :shut up: :D

KenL
28th June 2009, 02:15 PM
It's a bit like driving at 70mph on a motorway, if you drove at 30mph you wouldn't put as much stress on the car as you would at 70mph.
Surely even an educated guess you could have answered you're own question, i can't believe you didn't know the answer :rolleyes:
I get the feeling you don't like folks making any mods to their cars :shut up: :D

Why can't a poster on your forum ask a simple question? :frown:

I could have made an educated guess but was happier to get an informed and intelligent response from Anyihero2000:thumbs up:

Gismo
28th June 2009, 04:03 PM
Why can't a poster on your forum ask a simple question? :frown:Sheesh :eek: your questions are always double edged and i thought this was another one of them, both of us actually answered the question :thumbs up:

KenL
28th June 2009, 07:54 PM
Sheesh :eek: your questions are always double edged and i thought this was another one of them, both of us actually answered the question :thumbs up:

Double edged, what do you mean? :p