PDA

View Full Version : Power steering not turning off

poprock
24th June 2009, 11:52 PM
Hi guys, having power steering issues, and from reading on here it sounds like it's about to become expensive.

My power steering has failed a few times, which I though was par for the course. It refused to start at all a couple of weeks ago, took about 20 to kick in. This evening it will not turn off; still whining after I've parked and locked up.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing I have power steering pump failure coming up and I'd better start saving. Has anyone else had power steering 'stay on' after the car is turned off? Wheel is straight, I've tried reversing, 1st gear, full lock either way and still the noise won't stop.

Thanks,

Jen.

ETA: 53 Mini Cooper

t18tav
25th June 2009, 12:10 AM
I have never had or heard of that but i am sure there is someone on here that can help :confused:

Johnleiper
25th June 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi guys, having power steering issues, and from reading on here it sounds like it's about to become expensive.

My power steering has failed a few times, which I though was par for the course. It refused to start at all a couple of weeks ago, took about 20 to kick in. This evening it will not turn off; still whining after I've parked and locked up.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing I have power steering pump failure coming up and I'd better start saving. Has anyone else had power steering 'stay on' after the car is turned off? Wheel is straight, I've tried reversing, 1st gear, full lock either way and still the noise won't stop.

Thanks,

Jen.

ETA: 53 Mini Cooper

Mine did this after I had a new pump installed. I will ask at work 2moro and let you know how it was sorted!:smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
25th June 2009, 07:47 AM
I am presuming you have the 1st Gen BMW mini. As I am sure you will be aware there is an outstanding issue with these pumps, which has even been featured on watch dog. When I had my first gen I asked MINI to replace it as if it were to fail it would be a safety issue. I believe to date MINI won't hold there hands up and recall, or even replace known fault ones. It might be worth giving them a call and tell them about you issues, you never know. Hope you get things sorted soon. Might be worth taking out a warranty now on your car, you can get a decent independant one nowadays for about 300-400 quid.

poprock
25th June 2009, 10:23 AM
I’ll have to have words with my wife about registering her own forum accounts in future … or maybe stop using passwords she can guess so easily! :idea:

She should be phoning round some Glasgow mechanics right about now to find someone who can take a look at this. We figure it’s either going to have to be the main Mini dealer, Minis With Attitude or Southside Mini Centre.

From what I can find on t’internet problems with the electric power steering on these early models usually come down to the pump being on its way out, but there’s a chance it could just be the fan or even the wiring which would be a much cheaper fix.

I know the pump motor continuing to run after switching off the engine is supposed to be a known issue and the cause of flat batteries and eventually wearing out the pump, to the point where it then starts to pack in at random moments whilst driving. Seems to have happened the other way around on Jen’s car though—she’s had the power steering cut out a couple of times recently and now it’s decided to do the ‘not switching off’ thing. Very odd.

I did find last night that disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up stopped the pump. Must have reset something when I did that.

ianking
25th June 2009, 03:36 PM
If its not switching off you had better pop out quick style and disconnect the battery as the power steering pump will flatten it in no time at all.
Perhaps disconnecting the battery then re-connecting will re-set the pump.

poprock
25th June 2009, 04:21 PM
Already did that last night after leaving it ten minutes to see whether it would stop on its own. Yes, disconnecting and reconnecting did seem to reset the pump.

Gaz-Muir
7th August 2009, 11:08 AM
Did a new pump solve the problem?

Seems to be common....

poprock
7th August 2009, 12:05 PM
We’re assured that it is down to the pump, but haven’t had a new one fitted yet. My wife’s on the lookout for the best place to buy a reconditioned unit from. If anyone has any leads, please mention it here!

Mini UK offered (through our local dealership) to pay half of the parts cost if we had a brand new replacement, but their labour charges were so high that it didn’t seem much of a saving. We’re hoping that sourcing a recon unit will save us more.

Crombers
7th August 2009, 12:40 PM
Not strictly speaking a similar issue but still steering pump associated :yes nod:

On Tuesday evening on my way up to Pit Crew HQ , just before the Denny cut off, I noticed that my steering had suddenly become 'heavy'. Thankfully I was going in a straight line cos if this were to suddenly go whilst enjoying the twisties you'd get one helluva fright.
When I say heavy I mean it took a fair amount of heave to turn a bend & t-junctions were a riot (not!!). They required pre logistical positioning or taken at the widest route possible & it was skid mark time as kerbs loomed closer

"Ah well" said me, "that'll be a trip to the garage" & back I carefully trod to Glasgow South. After checking in with CraigD it became apparent that this was not gonna be a cheap 'visit to the garage' as the next morning it was suspected that the Power Steering Pump had probably given in & at £378 sir, a new part is yours (add the labour & the VAT & we are up to an eye watering £550 plus) !!

After contacting my local dealer (& a mechanic friend) it was put to me that giving BMW Customer Service a call was worth it to see if they would offer any kind of assistance as a measure of goodwill as parts such as these should not be prone to failure. I thought I'd be 'onto plumbs' on this one as my car is of June 04 vintage with 56K on the clock and is way out of warranty. My friend pointed out that in all his years as a Motor Engineer he could count the number of times he had replaced power steering pumps on two hands. "They do go" he said "but it's rare" which I thought interesting.

BMWCS advised me that as my MINI had had previous problems with the steering (new steering rack & column fitted whilst under warranty) I should contact Henry Bros/Douglas Park (who had done the previous warrantly work) to arrange a 'diagnostic check' for a wee look see.

Douglas Park were more than accomodating & my MINI was with them before midday on Wednesday. I received a call in the early afternoon to say that the pump had indeed failed & that DP would be liasing with BMW to see if any goodwill gesture could be offered. I thanked DP for their efforts & in discussion with them I also pointed out that I had spent a good few quid on the aerokit/TLCXL etc & that I had supported BMW in aftersales & it would be appeciated if any kind of reciprical offer were to be put on the table.

Mid afternoon & DP called to say that BMW would be willing to meet half the cost of the part but before I could say much they would be going back to BMW to re discuss the case as DP were of the opinion BMW may/could/should meet the full cost of the part. Customer service or what

By the close of play that same day, DP called again to say that BMW had agreed that in this case they would pay for the part in full if I was prepared to pay for the diagnostic/labour/clips/fluids/clamps (£94 to you & me). A superb result or what & my £ontribution means that the part is warranted for two years.

It has to be said that Douglas Park were superb in this instance & I thanked them (more than once!) for their efforts.

I should also note that whilst it is more than worth giving BMW Customer Service a call in matters like these, every case is treated individually & that my previous steering problems, money spent on aftersales products, full service history etc would probably have been taken into account by BMW before making their decision.

Some points may however be of interest to you.

poprock
7th August 2009, 12:48 PM
That’s exactly the conversation my wife had with Douglas Park and they only managed to offer 50% of the parts cost to her. If they’d offered us the same as they did you, we would have had the work done by now!

C.Noble
7th August 2009, 03:42 PM
I must have missed this thread :blush:.

It seems you have already found out the cause of the fault, but FYI here is a link to the system operation and faults on these steering systems

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/165920-lethal-steering-problem-2.html

"...The other 'common failure' (and its not that common... never yet had it on any of our race cars, or customer cars.) is the little control unit inside the pump assembly fails and leaves the pump running all the time, this will, at best, flatten your battery as the pump is a major current consumer, and at worst, can cause engine bay fires as the wiring gets too hot and melts, shorting out the main power feed to the pump, then incinerating everything!!"

I would have repeated the whole post, but Mr Gordy would shout at me again...:smilewinkgrin:

Sheilz
2nd September 2009, 01:16 AM
This was the only problem I had with specy. Pump still going after drving home from Skye. It kept whirring till the battery gave up. Was replaced under warranty by JC no questions asked. Can't remember how old he was at the time but clearly not too old for it to have be done under warranty. Just sussed he was coming up for his second birthday and just within limits of warranty at the time.

Big Gordy
2nd September 2009, 08:25 AM
I would have repeated the whole post, but Mr Gordy would shout at me again...:smilewinkgrin:

Hey:eek: I never shouted at you......it was all in lower case:smilewinkgrin:

cooper-chick
2nd September 2009, 12:48 PM
Where is the plug to plug in a diagnostic computer???

Gaz-Muir
2nd September 2009, 01:05 PM
Look upwards from the drivers footwell, theres a wee cover you can pop down. Its in there.. :thumbs up: