PDA

View Full Version : Never let anyone over take you!!!

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 04:26 PM
Well coming back from the most amazing run ever, really tired but well worth it. Since I had spent the whole weekend driving...energetically decided to take it easy (for a bit) down the road. Anyway was driving along and this prat was right up my ars%, so not really wanting to bait him or blast away from him, I let him pass. Now I was not exactly driving miss daisy, so lets say he went by quickly. Anyway get to the point the TWAT pull in nearly taking the front of the car of them excelerated hard away, at this point he threw up a large stone which has smashed the windscreen:ragin:. Blinking great. So guess who is getting a new windscreen this week. :frown:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2009, 04:53 PM
The hazards of motoring. If it wasn't an ars$ pulling in too soon it would have been a HGV on a motorway next week.:ragin:

Doesn't make the sting any less annoying though.:sad:

A.

Hamish
22nd June 2009, 05:02 PM
gutted for you mate, but on the flip side, at least it was only the window, possibly could have been more annoying/expensive if it had been the body? :(

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 05:25 PM
gutted for you mate, but on the flip side, at least it was only the window, possibly could have been more annoying/expensive if it had been the body? :(

Your right mate the stone hit 1/2 inch from the bottom of the glass.

Bazthemod
22nd June 2009, 05:56 PM
Thats not so good... Im dreading washing the bugs off my car to reveal lots of nice chips on the window and bodywork... some of the noises i heard during the run really made me cringe lol :sad::D

euan
22nd June 2009, 06:25 PM
Thats not so good... Im dreading washing the bugs off my car to reveal lots of nice chips on the window and bodywork... some of the noises i heard during the run really made me cringe lol :sad::D

well, the answer to that is to join the manky club :D

Craig
22nd June 2009, 06:45 PM
never great Greig. :sad:

I have just replaced the windscreen in mine for selling and praying that it doesn't get chipped... :rolleyes:

t18tav
22nd June 2009, 06:46 PM
that is really gay, what are the chances after all the roads we went along with fresh stones layed and nothing then on the way home it takes one guy. :argh::argh:

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 06:57 PM
that is really gay, what are the chances after all the roads we went along with fresh stones layed and nothing then on the way home it takes one guy. :argh::argh:

Sods Law, never mind, could have been worse.

euan
22nd June 2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, very annoying when it happens. One of those things that can happen at anytime no matter how careful you are with your car, doesn't make it any easier though.

Ally S
22nd June 2009, 07:40 PM
what a pain, i think people think minis are even smaller than they are. had my nose cut off a few times.

camjay
22nd June 2009, 07:43 PM
Hiya. This happened to me a few months ago! My windscreen was fine, but my bonnet was a right mess - I actually thought I would need a new one, but I managed to get it fixed. Its a right pain, an no come back! :argh:

countdown
22nd June 2009, 11:04 PM
thats unlucky greig :frown:

washed my car earlier, theres definately a few sore looking stone chips on my bonnet. Touch up, and wet sanding them all some point.

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 11:30 PM
thats unlucky greig :frown:

washed my car earlier, theres definately a few sore looking stone chips on my bonnet. Touch up, and wet sanding them all some point.

Yes have to say had a few ones too, think it was driving behind Baz's Cooper Turbo GTI (with diffuser) mini. :lol:

The Dogfather
22nd June 2009, 11:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the screen Greig.

Bumble
23rd June 2009, 12:31 AM
That's Pants! Just no fun :argh:

Bazthemod
23rd June 2009, 12:42 AM
Yes have to say had a few ones too, think it was driving behind Baz's Cooper Turbo GTI (with diffuser) mini. :lol:

Im gonna choose not to say anything to that like your question about how i got on sleeping in my car :hand:

:moonie::p

GCA3N
23rd June 2009, 08:28 AM
Im gonna choose not to say anything to that like your question about how i got on sleeping in my car :hand:

:moonie::p

I can see your facial expression now :p:lol:

Gismo
23rd June 2009, 08:33 AM
MINI's are very bad at chucking up stones, hence the reason even i give more than enough room to the one in front on runs

Delboy
23rd June 2009, 08:52 AM
Bit of a bummer Greig. As you know, I've had some glass replaced recently on my Clubman :rolleyes: so I can appreciate your pain. However, at least your paintwork didn't get touched and, looking on the bright side, you get a shiny new windscreen to polish the ar$e off :D.

GCA3N
23rd June 2009, 09:11 AM
Bit of a bummer Greig. As you know, I've had some glass replaced recently on my Clubman :rolleyes: so I can appreciate your pain. However, at least your paintwork didn't get touched and, looking on the bright side, you get a shiny new windscreen to polish the ar$e off :D.

Yes I thought about that already. Are you working today?

Delboy
23rd June 2009, 11:13 AM
Yes I thought about that already. Are you working today?

Yeah, sadly I am :sad:. It's a cracking day to go a run in the Mini as well - just hope it lasts until the weekend....

japper
23rd June 2009, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear Greig, although you did the right thing letting him past. I had a similar prat ( girl ) in a Fiesta ST trying to race me..........FFS:confused:

CoNs
24th June 2009, 09:48 AM
who sorting screen for you?

i can maybe get someone do it tomorrow or friday if you were in rush?

GCA3N
24th June 2009, 10:23 AM
who sorting screen for you?

i can maybe get someone do it tomorrow or friday if you were in rush?

Thanks for that, Auto glass are doing the job, turned up at 9.30 this morning, i though superb, get it sorted straight away, guess what, big BL*&%$ scatch accross the new glass :argh::argh: I mean how easy is it to check for these things. Anyway give the guy his due he has sorted another one and will be coming down tomorrow to fit it. Nothing is easy

Delboy
24th June 2009, 11:55 AM
You don't get anything right first time these days - it does your box in :ragin:.
Hope it get's replaced ok tomorrow.

CoNs
24th June 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for that, Auto glass are doing the job, turned up at 9.30 this morning, i though superb, get it sorted straight away, guess what, big BL*&%$ scatch accross the new glass :argh::argh: I mean how easy is it to check for these things. Anyway give the guy his due he has sorted another one and will be coming down tomorrow to fit it. Nothing is easy

Cool, wasn't sure if you had sorted yet etc, was always another option. guessing your going thru insurance?

just make sure he replaces your top trim and fits it nice and tight.. otherwise *poof* on the motorway lmfao:argh:

GCA3N
24th June 2009, 01:48 PM
Cool, wasn't sure if you had sorted yet etc, was always another option. guessing your going thru insurance?

just make sure he replaces your top trim and fits it nice and tight.. otherwise *poof* on the motorway lmfao:argh:

I don't think he brought the top trim today, is that a must?

UPDATE: Just spoke to auto glass, they stated "every BMW mini getting a new Windscreen will have the top trim replaced" I have asked his to confirm this with the local Auto glass. Who wants a bet they turn up tomorrow with out a top trim?

CoNs
24th June 2009, 03:27 PM
I don't think he brought the top trim today, is that a must?

UPDATE: Just spoke to auto glass, they stated "every BMW mini getting a new Windscreen will have the top trim replaced" I have asked his to confirm this with the local Auto glass. Who wants a bet they turn up tomorrow with out a top trim?

we ALWAYS fit them, they cost less than £5 to buy

seen some right bodge jobs when some companys have arrived and fit a univeral trim and we have had to cut customers screen out and fit a new trim because it shrinks and comes from the glass:hand:

check your plastic side trims before AG leave aswell.. as sometimes clips etc can break ( which happens as we have broke them before but we stock replacedment clips ) otherwise they end up rattling or make a slight whistle when air goes underneath

:)

I'm sure Autoglass will do a good job :thumbs up:

japper
25th June 2009, 07:37 AM
Damn you Greig:smilewinkgrin:

I just got hit by a stone last night..........only doing 20mph........huge chip:ragin:

Hopefully Autoglass will do a good job of fixing it, or a new OEM screen will be on order.

GCA3N
25th June 2009, 07:50 AM
Damn you Greig:smilewinkgrin:

I just got hit by a stone last night..........only doing 20mph........huge chip:ragin:

Hopefully Autoglass will do a good job of fixing it, or a new OEM screen will be on order.

In 16 years of driving, never used auto glass....ever. Got my first mini, then my new one, and in 29 months of owner ship had 2 big chips and a crack (all needing auto glass) I think between the low front, and near vertical windscreens it does leave them more open to stones etc.

Scottie
25th June 2009, 08:02 AM
did you make sure they replaced your windscreen with a genuine MINI one. So that you have the MINI logo on it etc etc.

GCA3N
25th June 2009, 08:08 AM
did you make sure they replaced your windscreen with a genuine MINI one. So that you have the MINI logo on it etc etc.

It looks exactly the same as the one coming out. Just looked at all the glass and the windscreen is the only peice of glass that does not have a logo on it. I am not sure if that is how it should be. I am not aware if this is the origonal or not.

japper
25th June 2009, 08:28 AM
It looks exactly the same as the one coming out. Just looked at all the glass and the windscreen is the only peice of glass that does not have a logo on it. I am not sure if that is how it should be. I am not aware if this is the origonal or not.

If you didn't ask for an OEM screen then it's very unlikely they fitted one. I'm checking with my insurers first to check their policy on whether they pay for OEM screens..........because i've never had a screen successfully repaired without it cracking and hence a replacement.

japper
25th June 2009, 08:30 AM

Not sure it's the same with BMW, but on Audi's all OEM replacement screens do NOT have the Audi logo although they are genuine same as factory.

Gismo
25th June 2009, 08:42 AM
Not sure it's the same with BMW, but on Audi's all OEM replacement screens do NOT have the Audi logo although they are genuine same as factory.My MINI ones have never had a logo and to be fair the replacement has never had a stone chip :Whistle:
So, who knows, maybe the non OEM screens are better anyway ;)

GCA3N
25th June 2009, 09:25 AM
My MINI ones have never had a logo and to be fair the replacement has never had a stone chip :Whistle:
So, who knows, maybe the non OEM screens are better anyway ;)

Good point here, OEM from BMW is not neccesssarly a good thing:Whistle:

CoNs
25th June 2009, 10:16 AM
OEM BMW screens are Pilkington ( i think, sometimes might be Saint Gobain) screens we fit are Pilkington without logo ( and ridiculous markup ).

All windscreens are made to OEM specifications. They have to be otherwise they wouldnt pass benchmark tests and standards

As above, i think the design and angle of the windscreen makes it prone to stonechips .. unfortunately i personally have had to replace my mini screen with a stone came up from a truck and hit my screen like a bullet out a gun lol :argh:

Stewart
25th June 2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear that Greig......:sad:

I think in the entire run I had one wee Bang on the Window or Body and in fairness we had slowed and was sitting to close to a certain blue Mini…..and when it took off it chucked up a few stones…….:Whistle:

Certainly braver than me with your car, I’m still considering my we Cooper is Running it’s self in on the 8K mark. :blush:

Tell what I did find on the Roads home, I was more relaxed going round bends at what to me seemed slower speeds now when before I would slow a bit….Guess its just getting to know the Car…

Scottie
25th June 2009, 10:47 AM
I always ask for a OEM windscreen. Original
has the Mini logo and I would want replacement
to have the logo. Never in the past had a problem with
request from my insurers I use auto windscreens

japper
25th June 2009, 12:44 PM
Update,

My insurers preference / tie in was with National Windscreens. They called me back and said a repair ( from description ) was not worthwhile:rolleyes:and a replacement would be ordered. I sated OEM and queried the top trim and he said they always replace the top trim AND the complete new side trims too:smilewinkgrin: Ordered from John Clarks and should be fitted Monday.

GCA3N
25th June 2009, 01:12 PM
Update,

My insurers preference / tie in was with National Windscreens. They called me back and said a repair ( from description ) was not worthwhile:rolleyes:and a replacement would be ordered. I sated OEM and queried the top trim and he said they always replace the top trim AND the complete new side trims too:smilewinkgrin: Ordered from John Clarks and should be fitted Monday.

auto glass are doing the same for me too.

RyanK
25th June 2009, 01:40 PM
I got mine from Premier, not an oem one right enough but still has the heater and rain sensor

GCA3N
25th June 2009, 02:46 PM
Glass in and done, looks spot on, no complaints. Trim all replaced too.

Stewart
25th June 2009, 06:17 PM
So was it all done through the Insurance with no loss of N.C.B? or did you have to pay some of it?

Always good to know such things.

audrey
25th June 2009, 11:35 PM
I had my passenger side window replaced by autoglass and it has the mini logo on :D

CoNs
26th June 2009, 12:14 PM
If its thru insurance i would always try and get an OEM, as i personally think it looks better :D

Some insurers don't let you use OEM parts as the cost is obviously very significant, think its probably around £150+ to buy and sometimes insurance put limits on your policy of around £125 after excess paid for parts as they sometimes class dealers as a third party. :hand:

Obviously punters walking off the street and paying cash won't want a bill 2 or 3 times more expensive for the sake of a logo, i could probably make a mini stencil and acid etch the logo into glass :lol:

Glad your all getting sorted broken glass is a nuisance

CoNs
26th June 2009, 12:16 PM
So was it all done through the Insurance with no loss of N.C.B? or did you have to pay some of it?

Always good to know such things.

shouldn't ever affect your NCB, excess is usually anything from £25-125 for personal policys

japper
3rd July 2009, 11:21 AM
Windscreen finally got replaced yesterday morning by National Windscreens. They appear to have done a great job, although i still need another go at fully get streaks of goo on the inside off.

CoNs
5th July 2009, 07:35 PM
Windscreen finally got replaced yesterday morning by National Windscreens. They appear to have done a great job, although i still need another go at fully get streaks of goo on the inside off.

what? you have windscreen bond inside?

if so not your job to clean:hand:, get on phone

GCA3N
5th July 2009, 07:49 PM
If its thru insurance i would always try and get an OEM, as i personally think it looks better :D

Please tell me how they differ in looks, I can't see any difference.?

Scottie
5th July 2009, 10:57 PM

it's the tint to the glass maybe. plus the Mini Logo:p

CoNs
6th July 2009, 10:04 AM

no difference, i just meant the overall appearance,

i.e if car still in warranty with mini etc i think it looks better to still have the logo in the corner incase mini sales start doing the... "oh its had a replacement windscreen :ragin:"

HaHa, personally for every 20 screens we fit, 1 would be oem..

GCA3N
6th July 2009, 11:14 AM
no difference, i just meant the overall appearance,

i.e if car still in warranty with mini etc i think it looks better to still have the logo in the corner incase mini sales start doing the... "oh its had a replacement windscreen :ragin:"

HaHa, personally for every 20 screens we fit, 1 would be oem..

No disrespect but that is ridiculous, can't see anyone caring about a logo. Besides all windscreens are made to the same standard. Lets be honest this is BMW we are taking about non oem parts are probably better.:Whistle:

CoNs
6th July 2009, 08:35 PM
No disrespect but that is ridiculous, can't see anyone caring about a logo. Besides all windscreens are made to the same standard. Lets be honest this is BMW we are taking about non oem parts are probably better.:Whistle:

people do.. its hard to belive, half time when i quote.. people alwaiys say.. is that OEM.."you know logo at bottom" tell them no, and they not interested as they think its inferior