PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite film?

Ferengo
22nd June 2009, 04:00 PM
Am bored at work and thought this may be fun plus I might be reminded of some films I;ve forgotten about. May be it's been done before but list your fav film or a few and say a bit about it like so:

Die Hard:1988

John McClane visits his wife (Whom they are sort of seperated) at her office christmas party only to have 12 terrorists seize control of them and the building. Out numbered, out gunned and shoeless, McClane must stop them by any means possible. Explossive to the end and totally a non stop action movie.

Just bought this on Blu-ray and it's a rocking film :thumbs up:.

Who's next?

doogz__
22nd June 2009, 04:27 PM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Jonny Depp and Benicio Del Toro do all sorts of drugs, and generally get messed up. TBH that's pretty much it

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2009, 04:31 PM
Fargo. (1996). Dir: The Coen Brothers.

The Coen Brothers at their very best. Set in winter in North Dakota, Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy) arranges for two bungling would-be kidnappers to kidnap his wife and demand a ransom from his wife's rich father.

The whole film is steeped in Coen Bros traits, from the ludicrous character names (Wade Gustafson, Carl Showalter, Gaear Grimsrud, etc.,) to plot strings that all weave together in a seamless fashion. The acting is superb, the script is faultless and the whole film will leave you rolling on the floor with laughter.

Double Oscar winner too, for Frances McDormand (leading actress) and The Coen's for the script.

Oh, and Lenore hates it.:frown:

A.:D

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 04:51 PM
Very hard decision here. I thought about this long and hard and my final decision is based on a film that I can watch over and over again, not just a one time classic.

PULP FICTION.

So many bits to it and I have watched this about 20 times.

Ferengo
22nd June 2009, 05:01 PM
Yup I think I have made this very hard for myself too as thinking on it now there are so many good movies...

Gismo
22nd June 2009, 05:20 PM
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest :thumbs up:

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 05:30 PM
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest :thumbs up:

Good choice:thumbs up:

camjay
22nd June 2009, 05:35 PM
Some Like It Hot - 1950's back and white starring Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon and Marilyn Monroe.

Sorry this is cheating - more recently I really like 300 - I wonder why??

euan
22nd June 2009, 07:09 PM
Hmm, tricky. Am I allowed a short and decide later?

It would be one from:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Grosse Point Blank
Star Wars

I ruled out Bullitt as the car chase is really the only reason I watch it and the plot doesn't really make sense. Same for Ronin (though that does have a plot).

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 07:17 PM
Thought the italian job might have been mensioned by now:rolleyes:

t18tav
22nd June 2009, 07:22 PM
Thought the italian job might have been mensioned by now:rolleyes:

lol i was just away to put that, have to think of something els now.

Scottie
22nd June 2009, 07:30 PM
can we have a fav movie from each decade??

the movie I've most watched is Apollo 13 but then I think Jerry Maguire

Ally S
22nd June 2009, 07:32 PM
Just watched Star Wars Episode 4 - amazing to think it was released in 1977. I'm sure everyone knows the story :popcorn:

Goes something like...
You are part of a Rebel Alliance and a traitor
These aren't the droids your looking for
Greedo shoots first
Its time to demonstrate the full power of this battle station
You came in that thing? your braver than i thought

... gees i've see that film too many times

Andrew
22nd June 2009, 08:17 PM
Get Carter.

Michael Caine returns to his home town of Newcastle to investigate/seek revenge for his brothers murder.

Craig
22nd June 2009, 08:25 PM
Kevin & Perry Go large... Cool ! :cool::cool:

well I like dance music and it still makes me laugh :laugh::laugh:

Days of Thunder was good too... ;)

As you can prob tell I like nonsense movies... it's all about entertainment for me.. :blush::yes nod:

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 09:03 PM
Kevin & Perry Go large... Cool ! :cool::cool:

well I like dance music and it still makes me laugh :laugh::laugh:

Days of Thunder was good too... ;)

As you can prob tell I like nonsense movies... it's all about entertainment for me.. :blush::yes nod:

Craig you are a sado mate, come on. So many good films to choose from....I expected more to be honest;)

euan
22nd June 2009, 09:09 PM
Craig you are a sado mate, come on. So many good films to choose from....I expected more to be honest;)

Everyone likes a bit of cheese though - I love Nicholas Cage films for that (the Rock - classic!) They have their place as much as the purist favourite film in my book.

baptie
22nd June 2009, 09:15 PM
Still Crazy : Rock band come back from the brink to make it big, Billy Connolly as roady, all star cast, love it

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 09:36 PM
Everyone likes a bit of cheese though - I love Nicholas Cage films for that (the Rock - classic!) They have their place as much as the purist favourite film in my book.

Hay cheese is good, independance day (spelt right , i think) is cheesy and cool, but kevin and perry go large , your havin a laugh mate!:lol:

t18tav
22nd June 2009, 09:42 PM
just remembered when i was a kid i loved the goonies.

got one of the best lines in the world. :lol:

audrey
22nd June 2009, 11:06 PM
Usual Suspects :clap::clap::clap:

Crombers
22nd June 2009, 11:06 PM
JFK
All the Godfathers
Anything with Jack Nicolson or De Niro
Bonds, especially from Dalton onwards
Ratpack, especially Deano ;)
Anything with Marisa Tomei

& at Xmas, James Stewart in 'It's a Wonderfull Life' on the big screen at the Glasgow GFT

Craig
22nd June 2009, 11:11 PM

it's taken you this long to work that out... :rolleyes: I just like a laugh.. ;)

GCA3N
22nd June 2009, 11:33 PM
it's taken you this long to work that out... :rolleyes: I just like a laugh.. ;)

:lol::lol:

Ferengo
23rd June 2009, 12:11 AM
can we have a fav movie from each decade??

the movie I've most watched is Apollo 13 but then I think Jerry Maguire

Yeah I think that is better. One from each decade starting from 1950? Maybe even edit the first page and start one for every year and see which is most popular?

1959: Ben Hur
1967: Cool Hand Luke (Never try the egg thing, even with creme eggs as it'll end badly... :Whistle:)
1979: Alien
1980's: The best decade for films, So many I can't choose one. Die Hard, Ghostbusters, Aliens, The Last starfighter... the list goes on.
1999: Fight Club
2001: Super Troopers (I highly recommend this)

illegalhunter
23rd June 2009, 06:24 AM
Highlander

zimbo
23rd June 2009, 09:36 AM
I LOVE loads of movies, BUT my all time favourite is and always has been TOP GUN, yes i know some people will think I am sad but i DONT CARE!! coz I love this film first time I saw it was lying in the back of a pick up truck at a DRIVE-IN cinema back in Zimbabwe it was awesome :thumbs up:

will post again with other fims that almost as good that I like.

Ferengo
23rd June 2009, 12:22 PM
I LOVE loads of movies, BUT my all time favourite is and always has been TOP GUN, yes i know some people will think I am sad but i DONT CARE!! coz I love this film first time I saw it was lying in the back of a pick up truck at a DRIVE-IN cinema back in Zimbabwe it was awesome :thumbs up:

Good call. That was the first film I ever bought on VHS.

sd_-iEv5VDU

I have no idea how to embed youtube videos in forums. EDIT: Sorted. AndyP;).

zimbo
23rd June 2009, 12:33 PM
Grant that is a bit of a dodgey clip of top gun there mate... :frown: that music is just WRONG!! :hand: (Brokeback mountain has no place being in the same category as TG)

Ferengo
23rd June 2009, 12:56 PM
I always thought there was something going on between Iceman and Maverick :p.

Bumble
23rd June 2009, 01:10 PM
mmm.... depends on my mood; currently Leon :)

baptie
23rd June 2009, 04:26 PM
I always thought there was something going on between Iceman and Maverick

If Topgun came out now, Jonathan Ross would think it was a gay fighter pilot film where Tom Cruise struggled to come out after the loss of his life partner

Burple
23rd June 2009, 05:01 PM
Grant that is a bit of a dodgey clip of top gun there mate... :frown: that music is just WRONG!! :hand: (Brokeback mountain has no place being in the same category as TG)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You liked it for the planes right ;) *nudge nudge*

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

baptie
23rd June 2009, 06:00 PM
Brokeback damaged me!!!

Went to lakes with wife and took a handful of dvd's, log cabin, peaceful.......nope! ::moonie:

camjay
23rd June 2009, 10:12 PM
This is a bit :off topic: but has anyone else seen the film "Naked Lunch"? I think its a David Cronenberg film - its the freakiest load of nonsense I've ever seen. I've heard it described as genius, but I think it's the biggest load of cack I've ever sat through (til the end, may I add)!! Utter mince :moonie:

Ps I couldn't even begin to tell you what it's about because I have no idea!

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2009, 10:35 PM

Zimbo, I guess that depends on who you were lying in the back of the pick-up with.:laugh::hand:

A.:D

Bazthemod
24th June 2009, 12:13 AM
Quadrophenia .... hence the name Bazthemod ;) however i don't miss my scooter lol :D

Duncan Stewart
25th June 2009, 09:14 PM
You can't beat "Life of Brian" for a good laugh :D

eddie 44
28th June 2009, 01:45 AM
the great escape

Stewart
28th June 2009, 10:51 AM
Layer Cake, Twin Town, Restless Natives, Local Hero, The Italian Job, Any James Bond, LOTR, The Original Star Wars Trilogy, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Like some of the old Moves, Kelly’s Hero’s, Where Eagles Dare, Bullitt and embarrassingly – Some Like It Hot….but most recent I’ve really enjoyed all the The Bourne Identity etc trilogy….

Hard to have a fav:D

Stewart
28th June 2009, 10:56 AM
Just watched Star Wars Episode 4 - amazing to think it was released in 1977. I'm sure everyone knows the story
... gees i've see that film too many times

have you seen the StromTooper hitting his head on the door when they come into that Radio room with the droids on the Death Star, THink hes third it and clonks hit head on the blast door....:thumbs up:

Sorry posted up my list then started reading the other pages..:blush:

Ferengo
28th June 2009, 10:30 PM
have you seen the StromTooper hitting his head on the door when they come into that Radio room with the droids on the Death Star, THink hes third it and clonks hit head on the blast door....:thumbs up:

Sorry posted up my list then started reading the other pages..:blush:

Good call. That is a funny bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-961VcDOW4