PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon

euan
19th June 2009, 11:31 AM
So, Wimbledon starts on Monday and as I know some of the tennis fans on here are iPhone fans, I thought I'd give you a heads up.

As some of you know, my work is heavily involved in the IT side at Wimbledon and have for this year released an app for the iPhone to track Wimbledon.

Bumf:
As well as giving scores, draws, the schedule of play and news, iPhone and iTouch users will be able to view daily video highlights.

But the coolest thing is for the Google phone but it does rely on you being there...

The most advanced application being piloted is a location-based augmented reality mobile phone solution. The application - Seer Android Beta - is based on Google’s open phone platform, Android, and acts as a real-time guide of what’s happening at Wimbledon, as well as an interactive map.
“It’s smart enough to know where the user is, and what he or she is looking at, and then gives the user real-time information,” says Nick Bennett at Ogilvy, who has been working with IBM to find ways to enhance the mobile experience at Wimbledon.
“Points of interest around the grounds have been plotted using GPS and when the user points the T-mobile phone at an object, the application augments it with relevant information.”

Scottie
19th June 2009, 11:57 AM
Looked at it last night on the application bit in iTunes

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2009, 12:08 PM
Euan does the iPhone app require you to be there or just the google one? iPhone one sounds cool and wi be a deffo download for me - regardless of cost.

A.

euan
19th June 2009, 12:19 PM
Just the google one I believe, but worth checking!

Ivano
19th June 2009, 01:28 PM
I have not got an i-Phone but Wimbledon time makes me very very :D:D:D:D

I can't wait, i normally take a week off to watch but work is so busy right now i couldn't get the time off, so will just get to watch it from 6pm onwards each evening and Highlights show at night

Euan, i would imgaine you will be there for a few days anyway.. with no doubt a free pass of some sort???

euan
19th June 2009, 01:59 PM
I have not got an i-Phone but Wimbledon time makes me very very :D:D:D:D

I can't wait, i normally take a week off to watch but work is so busy right now i couldn't get the time off, so will just get to watch it from 6pm onwards each evening and Highlights show at night

Euan, i would imgaine you will be there for a few days anyway.. with no doubt a free pass of some sort???

If only! Even though I live in Wimbledon, I've never managed to get any kind of free pass as the execs nick them all! I meet up with some of the guys in the pub at night after the tennis though as some people work on the project for years. It's not a year round role - it ramps up in the few months before the championships and then stops for another year. Every year there is some kind of innovation though usually around wireless technologies (phones, PDAs etc) and the website just gets bigger and (hopefully) better every year.

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2009, 12:53 AM
So, Nadal's withdrawn....:sad:

Opens the draw a wee bitty.:yes nod:

A.:D