PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the wheel arch trims?

Delboy
17th June 2009, 07:59 AM
Hi,
I have some white polish marks on a wheel arch trim and cannot remove it with normal washing. I'm sure you guys must know what to do so I'd be grateful for your advice.
Cheers,
Del

japper
17th June 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi,
I have some white polish marks on a wheel arch trim and cannot remove it with normal washing. I'm sure you guys must know what to do so I'd be grateful for your advice.
Cheers,
Del

I'd opt for R222 autowash followed by Megs Trim Detailer.:smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
17th June 2009, 08:36 AM
Derek the Megs stuff is good no doubt, and I have some you can try, i'll bring it up next week. But by far the best I have used is Chemical guys trim detailer, about 14 quid for 250ml, but it is amazing, the other stuff is black wow, about 20 quid for 150ml (i think) both work amazing. If you wait till next week I'll let you try. If you want to make do the megs stuff is still good, it is about 8 quid i think for a good sized bottle.

Crombers
17th June 2009, 08:40 AM
& I opt for paint :thumbs up:

japper
17th June 2009, 09:48 AM
Derek the Megs stuff is good no doubt, and I have some you can try, i'll bring it up next week. But by far the best I have used is Chemical guys trim detailer, about 14 quid for 250ml, but it is amazing, the other stuff is black wow, about 20 quid for 150ml (i think) both work amazing. If you wait till next week I'll let you try. If you want to make do the megs stuff is still good, it is about 8 quid i think for a good sized bottle.

All above are very good, but these on there own will just mask / cover over the polish residue. You need to get it off first, hence the R222:smilewinkgrin:

Either that or peanut oil:thumbs up:

GCA3N
17th June 2009, 09:52 AM
All above are very good, but these on there own will just mask / cover over the polish residue. You need to get it off first, hence the R222:smilewinkgrin:

Sorry i never made it clear, I agree with you on the first part, it was the trim detailer I was on about. Your right about the R222 auto wash.:thumbs up:

countdown
17th June 2009, 10:18 AM
I've also heard of poeple just using a rubber/eraser to remove polish residue on trim :smilewinkgrin:

JOHN MILNE
17th June 2009, 10:49 AM
& I opt for paint :thumbs up:

ID GO ALONG WITH THAT GET THEM COLOUR CODED:thumbs up:

baptie
17th June 2009, 12:54 PM
I can neither confirm nor deny that 'Peanut Butter', smooth no chunky will sort you out.........

might be worth a go, just remember to check your blind spot when moving off ensuring all the trim lickers are clear :smilewinkgrin:

Ally S
17th June 2009, 12:55 PM
Your best to use the Trim Detailer on all the black bits to make sure they stay black and dont dry out over time. It always looks so untidy when theres polish on the arches

baptie
17th June 2009, 12:59 PM
i used the BMW product and it leaves nasty runs when water hits it.

Off to tesco for some smart price nutty stuff!

Delboy
17th June 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated :thumbs up:.

The peanut butter is an interesting one to try and my dog will even lick it off once I'm done :D.

Stewart
17th June 2009, 07:35 PM
Cant fault AG Trim Gel here, does the job great. I have the Chem-guys stuff but I found it runs........so i use it on the Tyres.......

GCA3N
17th June 2009, 07:46 PM
Cant fault AG Trim Gel here, does the job great. I have the Chem-guys stuff but I found it runs........so i use it on the Tyres.......

the trick is to buff it off 15 mins after application.

Stewart
17th June 2009, 08:41 PM
the trick is to buff it off 15 mins after application.

what do you use kitchen towel or old rag?, if I use one of my MF towels it will kill it.:blush:

GCA3N
18th June 2009, 07:05 AM
what do you use kitchen towel or old rag?, if I use one of my MF towels it will kill it.:blush:

I use a black cotton cloth.Black as sometimes you get little fibres and fluff from the white, which you can obviously see easier than the black.

Stewart
18th June 2009, 11:16 AM
I'll give it another go.;)

PASL
23rd June 2009, 03:15 AM

Where can i buy this R222 from.

t18tav
23rd June 2009, 09:31 AM
i swear buy autoglym bumper care. :thumbs up:

japper
23rd June 2009, 11:30 AM
Where can i buy this R222 from.

www.polished-bliss.co.uk (http://www.polished-bliss.co.uk)

:smilewinkgrin:

PASL
26th June 2009, 12:40 AM
Cheers japper searched online for the product and found it cheaper at www.theultimatefinish.co.uk (http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk)

www.polishedbliss.co.uk (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk) Total price £23.31 P&P

www.theultimatefinish.co.uk (http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/) Toatl price £17.90 P&P :D

japper
26th June 2009, 11:29 AM
Cheers japper searched online for the product and found it cheaper at www.theultimatefinish.co.uk (http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk)

www.polishedbliss.co.uk (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk) Total price £23.31 P&P

www.theultimatefinish.co.uk (http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/) Toatl price £17.90 P&P :D

Yeah but Polished bliss is easy to visit and collect, they're in Kintore:smilewinkgrin:

They're great guys and will advise you on anything detailing related you want to know.

PASL
26th June 2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah had look at there website all looks very well. Maybe in future i will order from them a collect it but for now its just easy to order online.

Delboy
27th June 2009, 09:11 PM
I finally got some Autoglym Bumper Care and tried it today - took the white polish mark of the plastic wheel arch trim easily :yes nod:. Made a nice job of the trim in general and was a breeze to use.

japper
28th June 2009, 05:01 PM
I finally got some Autoglym Bumper Care and tried it today - took the white polish mark of the plastic wheel arch trim easily :yes nod:. Made a nice job of the trim in general and was a breeze to use.

Think you'll find you just covered it up, so with time it'll come back. Best to 'remove it' then treat the plastic:thumbs up:

PASL
29th June 2009, 05:32 AM
japper,

How many times did you have to wash your plastic to remove wax marks or did it remove on the first wash.

japper
29th June 2009, 07:06 AM
japper,

How many times did you have to wash your plastic to remove wax marks or did it remove on the first wash.

It should remove it first wash. However, saying that i have had marks in the past that looked like wax marks but after various degreasing agents ( by polished bliss themselves ) they remained. This was when my car was new and we put it down to either bad prep by dealer or faulty trims. But after many washes and trim dressing the odd mark that was seems to have gone for good:confused:

Delboy
7th July 2009, 08:03 AM
Think you'll find you just covered it up, so with time it'll come back. Best to 'remove it' then treat the plastic:thumbs up:

You were right :yes nod:! So, either I remove them permanently or I need a permanent supply of AG Bumper Care :rolleyes:.

laffalot
7th July 2009, 01:27 PM
Peanut butter or my preference option of groundnut oil works a treat at removing polish residue from plastic. Just work a small bit in with a microfibre cloth and it'll be gone.

Delboy
7th July 2009, 02:10 PM
Peanut butter or my preference option of groundnut oil works a treat at removing polish residue from plastic. Just work a small bit in with a microfibre cloth and it'll be gone.

Crunchy or smooth? :D

Craig
7th July 2009, 03:11 PM
Crunchy or smooth? :D

Smooth. . . :-)