PDA

View Full Version : R56S cold start rattle.

KenL
16th June 2009, 06:13 PM
Just thought I would post that my S is in for the latest cold start rattle fix.

It has displayed the absolutely hellish (worse than a 70s diesel) noise a couple of times only following the following procedure:

Park the car so that it is cold. Start up and reverse about 15 feet then forward the same (read this as me moving parking space as I was not happy where it was parked). Come back a wee while later and it makes "the" noise.

I managed to video the noise on my phone to show dealer. They are doing the latest fix tomorrow.

Thanks to Peter Vardy MINI for being so understanding and not saying that they have never heard of the fault or refusing to fix it until they heard it.

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 06:26 PM
Can't beat video evidence Ken.

Best of luck with the fix.;)

Who are you dealing with in Vardy?

A.

KenL
16th June 2009, 06:36 PM
Who are you dealing with in Vardy?

A.

A nice service chappy called Paul.

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 06:47 PM
Aye, Pauls a good lad. Will really look after you. Simon is good too.

A.

GCA3N
16th June 2009, 08:10 PM
Well i have had my car back now for 4-5 weeks after the latest fix. so far so good, harry fairbairn in irvine did mine, hats off to them:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Craig
16th June 2009, 08:12 PM
Glad your getting it fixed... :thumbs up: If only they knew how to fix it 32 months ago... :rolleyes::laugh:

GCA3N
16th June 2009, 08:17 PM
Glad your getting it fixed... :thumbs up: If only they knew how to fix it 32 months ago... :rolleyes::laugh:

ye but that is behind you now, come on you know it makes sense.:clap:

KenL
16th June 2009, 09:34 PM

I know, the fix has taken a VERY long time!

Mini MoJo
17th June 2009, 12:57 PM
After much teeth pulling with our 'local' dealer they have finally agreed to fix this horrible noise on our Mini too. Our car is booked in for 3 days next week as half the engine needs to be stripped.....! just glad it is getting sorted at last. It wasn't easy though, only yesterday the manager told us Mini hadn't authorised BMW to sort it but then we got a phone call back to say they would sort it... i think they were trying pull a fly one on us :ragin:

KenL
17th June 2009, 06:58 PM
Picked my car up today and they have replaced the tensioner with the latest version as per this fix:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/05/12/mini-solves-the-r56-cold-start-issue/

Crombers
18th June 2009, 08:33 AM
I thought it was a design charactaristic :rolleyes:

KenL
18th June 2009, 11:26 AM
I thought it was a design charactaristic :rolleyes:

The ticking noise, and slight dieselly sound at tickover is a characteristic of a lot of modern petrol engines which use high pressure fuel systems.

The loud clattering start up is in no way a characteristic :hand: