PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G S

rpn
8th June 2009, 08:51 PM
Just announced, the latest iPhone from Apple; iPhone 3G S.

Up to 32GB, video, 3Mb camera, voice control, 2x faster internet etc etc....

My O2 contract was up on Friday past and was planning to get the iPhone over the weekend then find out a 'strong' rumours on the Mac Forum on Friday evening that there's going to be an announcement tonight at 6:30 UK time about the new iPhone.

Craig
8th June 2009, 09:15 PM
cool, when my contract is up I am going to get one... should have done it about a year ago, but someone talked me out of it... :rolleyes:;)

rpn
8th June 2009, 09:25 PM
Available from 19 June. My contract expires just at the right time!

Bazthemod
8th June 2009, 10:25 PM
About bloody time apple lifted the restriction on the Tom Tom App too! No more carrying about my iphone and my Tom Tom :thumbs up::cool:

AndyP & Lenore
8th June 2009, 11:27 PM
cool, when my contract is up I am going to get one... should have done it about a year ago, but someone talked me out of it... :rolleyes:;)

Now don't go blaming me.:hand:

Aye.:blush:

Ok.:shut up:

A.:sad:

AndyP & Lenore
9th June 2009, 12:07 AM
This is cool news though. Hopefully the O2 guy will be good to his word and they will be offering upgrades even to those who have recently purchased.:Whistle:

But tbh, the majority of the changes are from the O.S.3 upgrade, rather than the actual phone upgrade. Main additions to the new "s" phone are a digital compass, faster browsing - on a wi fi connection this is zip fast anyway! - and a video recording facility. OS.3 adds cut/copy/paste, shake to shuffle, integrated MMS, entire phone search, landscape keyboard, the ability to purchase tv shows, movies and audiobooks from iTunes and Internet tethering. Not sure if O2 will allow the Internet tethering within the unlimited browsing package or not, but this could be handy if they do.

A.:thumbs up:

Bazthemod
9th June 2009, 12:13 AM
O2 have updated their site for tethering ... you have to buy a bolt on for your normal contract from £15 - £30 depending on data you need. I think that is bit steep to be honest.

rpn
9th June 2009, 07:55 AM
O2 have updated their site for tethering ...

Cool, that would be handy for me.

Bazthemod
9th June 2009, 08:01 AM
Looks like they aint offering the usual upgrade system...

Upgrade

If you're already with us on Pay Monthly, you can upgrade to the new iPhone 3G when it's time to upgrade. It's usually the last month of your contract, but you can check at My O2 (http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2).

:sad:

rpn
9th June 2009, 08:02 AM
This is cool news though. Hopefully the O2 guy will be good to his word and they will be offering upgrades even to those who have recently purchased.:Whistle:

You can exchange your existing iPhone for a new 3GS.... in the US only.

I asked the same question about 3 or 4 weeks ago and the O2 guy just :frown::hand:

Good luck Andy.

Big Gordy
9th June 2009, 08:15 AM
Here we go again:frown: Another thread full of iPhone nonsense:thud::moonie::p

Burple
9th June 2009, 09:59 AM
Here we go again:frown: Another thread full of iPhone nonsense:thud::moonie::p

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh:

GAJ
9th June 2009, 10:05 AM
I'm a bit underwhelmed, but mainly disappointed by the pricing structure. Paying an extra £15 for 3GB of internet tethering on top of a £35 tariff is too much.

The old 8GB model continues to be available free on the 24 month £35 contract, but the old 16GB which was about £50 is now replaced by the new 16GB which costs about £90; I was hoping that this would become the entry level available free, with a £90 extra charge for the 32GB. Instead the 32GB costs an extra £175.

I'm thinking that this is too much money for me and I think I might pass for the moment. Cost of ownership for the duration of the contract for the 32GB is about a grand! For a phone!!

AndyP & Lenore
9th June 2009, 10:33 AM
You can exchange your existing iPhone for a new 3GS.... in the US only.

I asked the same question about 3 or 4 weeks ago and the O2 guy just :frown::hand:

Good luck Andy.

That's the complete opposite of what I was told by two different sales guys about 3 or 4 weeks ago.:frown: Of course, about the same time, I was also told there was NO new iPhone planned, and also that one was planned but would be an iPhone Nano.:frown:

Does anyone know when the iPhone 3G was launched?

A.:D

GAJ
9th June 2009, 10:41 AM

At the 2008 WWDC - exactly a year ago.

Big Gordy
9th June 2009, 10:42 AM
Cost of ownership for the duration of the contract for the 32GB is about a grand! For a phone!!

At last:clap:someone is seeing sense in all this phone madness:thumbs up:

GAJ
9th June 2009, 10:49 AM
That's the complete opposite of what I was told by two different sales guys about 3 or 4 weeks ago.:frown: Of course, about the same time, I was also told there was NO new iPhone planned, and also that one was planned but would be an iPhone Nano.:frown:

Meant to say in my last post, the sales guys wouldn't have been any better informed than us. I think I said earlier, I would have looked for assurance from them in writing that they would upgrade the phone for free. I think it's unlikely that they will honour what they told you, considering the 8GB is still going to be sold alongside the 2 new models, for the moment at least; they might be getting rid of old stock with a price restructure in the nearish future - hopefully!

GAJ
9th June 2009, 10:58 AM
Andy, your not alone! From the MacUser site -

"O2 has come under fire for insisting that existing iPhone subscribers either have to see out their contract or pay it off before they can upgrade to the new iPhone 3GS.

The mobile operator, which currently has exclusive rights to the phone (http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/255250/o2-under-fire-over-iphone-upgrades.html#) in the UK, says that users have to cover the cost the phone’s subsidy. “As the iPhone 3G is subsidised by us you’ll need to either hang on until your contract ends or pay extra to end it early,” it said in its Twitter stream (http://twitter.com/o2).

But that explanation has largely fallen on deaf ears, with the Twitter tag #o2fail (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23o2fail) racking up hundreds and hundreds of complaints about the carrier‘s upgrade policy.

“OK, the iPhone is subsidized, but that's not 100% of the monthly bill! Why should I pay for a service I won't use?,” asks pardel, while poppiestar says, “Thanks O2. I changed networks for you and this is how you repay me.”

Their comments are not atypical.

iPhone 3GS (http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/news/255157) will go on sale in the UK on 19 June. O2 will offer 18- or 24-month contracts as well as a Pay and Go option for both the 16GB and 32Gb models. Tariffs range from £29 to £73 (with free phone)—full details at the O2 Digital News Centre (http://dnc.o2.co.uk/home/2009/06/iphone-3g-s-is-coming.html).

Anyone wishing to make use of the phone’s new tethering capabilities to use it as a wireless modem for a laptop will have to pay an extra £15 a month for up to 3GB of data, rising to £29 for 10GB. MMS will be covered by the standard contract, at a cost of four SMS text messages."

euan
9th June 2009, 01:00 PM
That's a hell of a price. Yes, it's the best user interface out there but they are taking the piss with that. I was going to seriously consider it but not now, there is NO way I can justify the costs involved.

I understand why they are doing the upgrade limitations, it's a phone and you can't do the upgrade with any other phone or network, so why make a special case for this one? It must cost them a fortune.

O2 must have paid a lot for the sole supplier status, it needs to be paid for somewhere as I'd heard Orange were close to doing a deal, which probably pushed up the price on O2. Not good for the consumer though.

GAJ
9th June 2009, 01:25 PM
There seems to be a lot of people annoyed by o2's upgrade policy. The problem is that the people who want the functionality that an iPhone offers tend to be the same people who like to upgrade to the latest and greatest technology as soon as it becomes available.

However, Apple seem to be working to a 12 month upgrade schedule and the minimum o2 contract is 18 months, although most folk opt for the slightly cheaper 24 month contract.

O2 seem to be insisting this time that people who want to upgrade pay the full cost to do so - if you bought a 3G on the minimum contract when they came out you will have to pay over £200 to upgrade now, plus the subsidised cost of the new handset!:confused:

euan
9th June 2009, 02:15 PM
There seems to be a lot of people annoyed by o2's upgrade policy. The problem is that the people who want the functionality that an iPhone offers tend to be the same people who like to upgrade to the latest and greatest technology as soon as it becomes available.

However, Apple seem to be working to a 12 month upgrade schedule and the minimum o2 contract is 18 months, although most folk opt for the slightly cheaper 24 month contract.

O2 seem to be insisting this time that people who want to upgrade pay the full cost to do so - if you bought a 3G on the minimum contract when they came out you will have to pay over £200 to upgrade now, plus the subsidised cost of the new handset!:confused:

Indeed, but that's what EVERY other phone contract model is in the UK.

GAJ
9th June 2009, 03:02 PM
I agree Euan, up to a point. I think why people are annoyed is that O2 didn't do this last year, they allowed people out of their existing contract so long as they signed up for a new contract. That's the difference here. It seems from what AndyP has said that salesmen have being promising upgrade paths which don't exist.

It was expected that O2 would lose their iPhone exclusivity this year and they haven't. It looks like keeping this deal has cost them a whack, and this cost is being passed on to the customer. From a buisness point of view, what they are doing makes absolute sense; not so good for the consumer though.

euan
9th June 2009, 04:22 PM
I agree Euan, up to a point. I think why people are annoyed is that O2 didn't do this last year, they allowed people out of their existing contract so long as they signed up for a new contract. That's the difference here. It seems from what AndyP has said that salesmen have being promising upgrade paths which don't exist.

It was expected that O2 would lose their iPhone exclusivity this year and they haven't. It looks like keeping this deal has cost them a whack, and this cost is being passed on to the customer. From a buisness point of view, what they are doing makes absolute sense; not so good for the consumer though.

I agree actually, they've set a precedent before by doing the upgrades, I suspect the O2 staff assumed that it would be the case again so have been telling everyone they will be doing it again. I can see why they want to stop that cycle as well - what do you do with a year old iPhone if your O2?

They just want to make it the same as the other phones, makes perfect business sense but they're going to piss a lot of people off. So in 12 months time when the next one is announced, all the people who've signed up for this one will all be tied in for another 6 months - they lose the market share, especially if the changes are pretty minimal like this. It'll cost them more in the long run I reckon.

However, I just hope that O2 drop the price at some point when they do so I can get one without paying a grand a year for it!

AndyP & Lenore
9th June 2009, 05:34 PM
Ran out of time today to go into the O2 shop and ask about upgrading. Will stick my head in the door tomorrow.

Speaking as a businessman, I couldn't understand why/how O2 would be able to afford to simply give away free upgrades for those who were mid-contract. So when the guy told me what happened last time I was a little taken aback. And I can't honestly say I bought the phone knowing for a fact that if/when a new phone was announced I would automatically get a free upgrade. If it's not an option, it's not an option.

Like I've said a few times, none of the new features which come with the new PHONE are particularly important to me. A good few of the new features which come with the new software I am looking forward to. On 17th June I'll will definitely be downloading the new OS.3 - looking forward to that.

As mine is on a 24 month business tarrif, the salesman did say that I am eligible to upgrade to a new phone after 12 months, without signing a new contract.

Will update this thread after I've spoken to the sales guy tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know what platform the iPhone works on? Java? Proprietary? Some kind of stripped down Mac OS?

A.

AndyP & Lenore
9th June 2009, 05:35 PM
Oh, and just to piss Big Gordy off:laugh:, I'm gonna post up a wee review of my iPhone later this week if I get a chance. List all my likes and dislikes. Let's just say the dislikes will need thought about carefully, the likes list is long and distinguished at the moment.:thumbs up:

euan
9th June 2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, and just to piss Big Gordy off:laugh:, I'm gonna post up a wee review of my iPhone later this week if I get a chance. List all my likes and dislikes. Let's just say the dislikes will need thought about carefully, the likes list is long and distinguished at the moment.:thumbs up:

That would be interesting Andy. Knowing you use it a lot as a web browser would mean your definitely going to get more out of it than a ponce who just has it because it's an iPhone, but if I got one I'd be in the same boat so get on the case man! :D

Scottie
9th June 2009, 08:36 PM
I love my iphone both our iphone O2 contracts are due for renewal Jan/Feb next year.

Allan has already made the decision not to renew. :eek::eek::eek:

I'm in the will I or won't I camp at the moment.

Thinking I might go retro and get the biggest brick of a phone possible.:D:D:yes nod:

Scottie
9th June 2009, 08:39 PM
That would be interesting Andy. Knowing you use it a lot as a web browser would mean your definitely going to get more out of it than a ponce who just has it because it's an iPhone, but if I got one I'd be in the same boat so get on the case man! :D

would be better if the iphone came with a 16" LCD screen for browsing the web, for some of us who are blind as a bat.;);) Maybe they could invent a motorised screen that starts at 2 inch sq that comes out and folds out to be 16" how cool would that be.

euan
9th June 2009, 08:45 PM
would be better if the iphone came with a 16" LCD screen for browsing the web, for some of us who are blind as a bat.;);) Maybe they could invent a motorised screen that starts at 2 inch sq that comes out and folds out to be 16" how cool would that be.

Well, it'll get there eventually. I saw something like this on the gadget show a while ago, a paper thin, bendable, LCD screen LINK (http://maddump.blogspot.com/2007/05/a4-sized-paper-thin-lcd-screen.html)

So, what's the reason not to renew?

Scottie
9th June 2009, 09:15 PM
Well, it'll get there eventually. I saw something like this on the gadget show a while ago, a paper thin, bendable, LCD screen LINK (http://maddump.blogspot.com/2007/05/a4-sized-paper-thin-lcd-screen.html)

So, what's the reason not to renew?

Allan's reason is simple he only uses the phone as a phone:eek::eek: and text so It's not really value for money to be tied to a contract.

Me well I was hoping the design of the new phone would change alot the case a led screen the apple on the back to light up and the chrome ring that goes round the outer edge to be changed.

Not happy at the thought of having to pay for the upgraded phone.

Then I think of the problems I've had with my current iphone freezing - loosing the touch function- the phone being on but pressing the button will not bring the screen on. Replaced by Apple every time i may add.:thumbs up:

Actually get annoyed sometimes with the 3G coverage not always great and no reception of any kind in the house.

I want to be able to say I won't renew.

euan
9th June 2009, 10:00 PM
I don't think you'll be alone in that feeling Fi.

Looking at it, I don't think they've moved it on in the time since it's been out. Yes, they did 3G, but it should have had that from the start, but apart from that nothing has really changed since the first iPhones. And the contracts and the phones are only getting more expensive. O2 have got to be careful, the new Palm is getting good reviews, the Google platform is going to deployed onto some more phones this year as well I think and it's apparently also very good, so I don't think people will flock to this new one like they have done in the past.

Smitty
9th June 2009, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know what platform the iPhone works on? Java? Proprietary? Some kind of stripped down Mac OS?

A.

It runs on a stripped down OS X Leopard Andy. Same underlying technology, hence why it works so bloody well with Mac's.

Looking forward to OS 3.0 (at last, cut and paste!!)- not to fussed about the new handset. My contract runs out in 7 months so I think I'll probably just hold off and wait for the iPhone 4G :yes nod: ;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th June 2009, 12:06 AM
I don't think you'll be alone in that feeling Fi.

Looking at it, I don't think they've moved it on in the time since it's been out. Yes, they did 3G, but it should have had that from the start, but apart from that nothing has really changed since the first iPhones. And the contracts and the phones are only getting more expensive. O2 have got to be careful, the new Palm is getting good reviews, the Google platform is going to deployed onto some more phones this year as well I think and it's apparently also very good, so I don't think people will flock to this new one like they have done in the past.

Euan, what the google based phones lack is the App Store. I don't know how intuitive the phone's operating system is but it would have to go some to beat the iPhone.

But you're right in that aside from the addition of 3G at the last upgrade, improvements to the phone seem to be almost held back. Like Fi say's would it not have been nice to have had a different design this time round? Not a radical change but a cosmetic change like removing the chrome trim etc. Or making it optional. Or like the iPod nano, a choice of colours?

I agree that this upgrade won't have folk flying into the O2 shops with their cash held out, the improvements just aren't big enough.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
10th June 2009, 12:07 AM
It runs on a stripped down OS X Leopard Andy. Same underlying technology, hence why it works so bloody well with Mac's.

Looking forward to OS 3.0 (at last, cut and paste!!)- not to fussed about the new handset. My contract runs out in 7 months so I think I'll probably just hold off and wait for the iPhone 4G :yes nod: ;)

4G? Really? Hmmmmm.:yes nod:

GAJ
10th June 2009, 09:10 AM
Speaking as a businessman, I couldn't understand why/how O2 would be able to afford to simply give away free upgrades for those who were mid-contract.
A.

One thing to remember is that when the first gen iPhones were launched, they were not subsidised by the carriers, or at least not nearly so heavily - the 8GB cost £269 if I remember correctly. So when the iPhone 3G was released it wasn't such a big deal to end a contract early, so long as a new one was being signed, as the monthly contract cost wasn't covering the hardware subsidy.

That's not the case this time; all the 3G handsets are heavily subsidised and this is made up for with pretty expensive 24 month tariffs, and even more expensive 18 month ones! Personally, I'd like to see 12 month tariffs back on the table - they'd obviously be more expensive (or bundle less minutes, which would suit me), after all you would be paying back the subsidy over a shorter period, but at least the upgrade path would be clearer. PAYG is starting to look like a more attractive option.

stephgolding
10th June 2009, 04:48 PM
:( wish i had known.. I just got my iphone 3G contract in May.. Doh!!

:sad:

Smitty
10th June 2009, 04:50 PM
4G? Really? Hmmmmm.:yes nod:

If the communications industry upgrades the infrastructure in this country that is....:moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
10th June 2009, 11:37 PM
GAJ, quite agree:yes nod:. Not keen on the way all mobile contracts now seem to be 18 months and some 24 months.:frown:

AndyP & Lenore
10th June 2009, 11:46 PM
Popped into the o2 shop today and as expected was told "sorry, no upgrade offer available". The guy was genuinely disappointed and I could feel his discomfort at having to sit there and tell me, but o2 have decided not to offer free upgrades at the moment.

He said two other things.... basically the main changes from the iPhone 3g to the iPhone 3g (s) will be achieved by the software upgrade to OS 3.0 anyway. I had already figured that one out. The only real "upgrades" the (s) has is a digital compass (don't need one) conference video calling (don't need it) and the option of more memory (don't need it).

He also agreed with me that they will not see the huge flood of peeps on the 19th June trading up from iPhone 3g to iPhone 3g S. He reckons take up will actually be so slow, they will be forced to start offering some upgrade incentives within a few months of launch.

So, I'm not surprised. I'm not gutted. I'm mildly disappointed, but one wee play of FlightControl and I'm over it.

Looking forward to the 3.0 software upgrade now.:thumbs up:

Scottie
15th June 2009, 10:51 PM
not long now to the 17th. Thinking about it today i've decided wait a day or so as I can imagine their systems will be overloaded on the first day.

AndyP & Lenore
15th June 2009, 11:02 PM
Fi, this is Apple:thumbs up:. Their servers should be sturdy enough to cope:thumbs up:. Besides, I think it downloads to your iTunes, then updates from there - that's a guess btw.

Scottie
15th June 2009, 11:07 PM
I hope so. Read on a few other forums that people are liking it but do not rave over it.
If you want to get it early they enter below in google and you can download it early.
iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

GAJ
16th June 2009, 08:14 AM
I hope so. Read on a few other forums that people are liking it but do not rave over it.
If you want to get it early they enter below in google and you can download it early.
This is the final developer build, not necessarily identical to the public release - Apple's dev notes say "This version of iPhone OS 3.0 should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software development. By installing iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently ?locked? into testing mode and cannot be restored to an earlier release of iPhone OS. Bear this in mind before installing the software."

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 09:54 AM

This is the final developer build, not necessarily identical to the public release - Apple's dev notes say "This version of iPhone OS 3.0 should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software development. By installing iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently ?locked? into testing mode and cannot be restored to an earlier release of iPhone OS. Bear this in mind before installing the software."

As much as I appreciated Fi's posting, there was absolutely no chance I was going to download that file.

Happy to wait 1 more day.

Scottie
16th June 2009, 10:11 AM

Not according to the guys that have downloaded it. Like andy I will be waiting
To download online in the normal manner

GAJ
16th June 2009, 01:24 PM
Not according to the guys that have downloaded it.
How do they know? Until the public release is made available they have nothing to compare it with.;)

Scottie
16th June 2009, 01:44 PM
This is the final developer build, not necessarily identical to the public release - Apple's dev notes say "This version of iPhone OS 3.0 should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software development. By installing iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently ?locked? into testing mode and cannot be restored to an earlier release of iPhone OS. Bear this in mind before installing the software." no idea tbh Reading the thread on the TM site they seem to know.

euan
16th June 2009, 01:52 PM
no idea tbh Reading the thread on the TM site they seem to know.

And they are all probably 12 years old and don't know any better :D

Smitty
16th June 2009, 08:17 PM
Phone will be synced first thing after I get in from work tomorrow :D

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 08:21 PM
Phone will be synced first thing after I get in from work tomorrow :D

Me tooooo.

Scottie
16th June 2009, 09:01 PM
will it be available for download @ 12.01am this evening.?????

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 09:26 PM

I reckon it wont be available until it hits the 17th in the USA. Could be wrong, but if I'm not it wouldn't be available until 5am.

A.

Scottie
16th June 2009, 09:28 PM
i'll try when I get up then still reckon apple will struggle to cope like what they did with 2.0

illegalhunter
16th June 2009, 09:28 PM
Apple are so savy 3 new Iphones in 2 years

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 09:47 PM
Apple are so savy 3 new Iphones in 2 years

Better than 20 new Nokia's in 3 months.

AndyP & Lenore
17th June 2009, 01:56 AM

Well Fi, the answer is NO!

Just home from the cinema so figured I'd give it a try. iTunes tells me my version 2.2 software is up to date.

Guess I'll try tomorrow sometime.

A.

Scottie
17th June 2009, 07:49 AM
still a no go just tried got the same as you Andy

Hamish
17th June 2009, 09:32 AM
i just tried, and still sayin 2.2 is latest version... c'mon apple!!! I want MMS!!! lol, didnt bother getting an app for it as i knew version 3 would have it! lol

GAJ
17th June 2009, 10:12 AM
5pm at the earliest, it seems.

Hamish
17th June 2009, 11:05 AM
5pm at the earliest, it seems.

really gaj? I'm champing at the bit to get this haha, where can i keep track of what time it will be released?

AndyP & Lenore
17th June 2009, 04:12 PM
Hamish, been doing a wee bit of looking on the time it will be released. There's a fight going on in the Apple forums just now which is quite entertaining.

It seems O2 are telling customers it will be live from 6pm today.

Patience is a virtue.;)

Scottie
17th June 2009, 06:14 PM
it's downloading as I type:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Hamish
17th June 2009, 06:18 PM
downloading it now! :D

Hamish
17th June 2009, 06:19 PM
thanks for your investigation Andy :D ... Fiona beat me to letting everyone know its downloadable hahah.

Hamish
17th June 2009, 06:48 PM
dunno whats goin on, but some of my contacts have gone, think there may be a sync issue with my certificate at work, b*gger... another thing to fix lol!

Scottie
17th June 2009, 07:11 PM
sending pics is not working anyway tried on both mines and allans:argh:

Hamish
17th June 2009, 07:14 PM
fiona... I just sent a pic to my sister and she got it ok. However, I aske her to send one back, but it came in the same way as before... as an O2 Alert!!! arghhhhhh!!!!

Anyone any ideas about how to get them to come straight into phone?

Hamish
17th June 2009, 07:16 PM
sending pics is not working anyway tried on both mines and allans:argh:

i switched mine off and on again after the download was complete, but i'm guessing you've already tried that too?

AndyP & Lenore
17th June 2009, 07:17 PM
Downloaded and installed.

Trying to send you a MMS Fi. Won't work for me either:sad:. It may take O2 a while to switch this on at their end. Maybe. Who knows.

A.:confused:

Hamish
17th June 2009, 07:20 PM
Downloaded and installed.

Trying to send you a MMS Fi. Won't work for me either:sad:. It may take O2 a while to switch this on at their end. Maybe. Who knows.

A.:confused:

strange Andy, I would of thought you would have been able to send pics too seeing as I have. Did you reboot your phone for luck after install was complete?

Scottie
17th June 2009, 07:32 PM
sending pictures works

however I get a mms from O2 and have to follow the link for it to be viewed.

only thing is I now have about 10 mms messages form different folks all trying it out.

I still can't send mine

Hamish
17th June 2009, 07:34 PM
sending pictures works

however I get a mms from O2 and have to follow the link for it to be viewed.

only thing is I now have about 10 mms messages form different folks all trying it out

any idea how to change the settings so pics come straight into phone? really niggles me having to go to O2 site to get them... was the same on my last phone too. :argh:

AndyP & Lenore
17th June 2009, 08:20 PM
Aye, just sent myself one and have to go to o2 web site to view.

Pointless really. :sad:

A.

Scottie
17th June 2009, 08:26 PM
Reading the o2 website mms will not work until we get
a text from o2

here you go:

If you're on Pay Monthly or a Business tariff
When you've downloaded the iPhone OS 3.0 software, we'll set up picture messaging for you. When it's ready, we'll send you an MMS.

If your picture message from us hasn't arrived after 10 minutes, text 'MMS' free to 1010 and we'll try again.

You can use your text bundle to send picture messages in the UK and abroad. One picture message equals four normal texts, or if you've got no bundle texts left, they cost 24.47p a message (21.28p excluding VAT).

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2009, 12:07 AM
Fi & Hamish..

Do either of you have text delivery reports switched on? Is it even an option with O2 or the iPhone?

A.

Scottie
18th June 2009, 07:52 AM
I have the MMS in settings switched to on.

Allan received a text last night from O2 saying that you are trying to send a mms message, your at not set up to send, we will set you up now. Couple minutes later he gets another text with wee picture saying that was him set up.

I've had no such message:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Scottie
18th June 2009, 07:54 AM
Whoo Hoo tried this morning and it worked.:clap::clap::clap:

Sent a picture to Allan and it came up in the text.

Hamish
18th June 2009, 09:08 AM
as soon as i switched off pc last night i got those texts fiona, works perfectly now... very pleased :D

Are you sorted yet Andy?

Gismo
19th June 2009, 09:55 AM
Updated mine and i can now receive pictures, not tried to send, never did it before anyway.

One thing, anyone else noticed the increased battery life?

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2009, 12:04 PM
Updated mine and i can now receive pictures, not tried to send, never did it before anyway.

One thing, anyone else noticed the increased battery life?

No. If anything I reckon my phone is slightly slower and the battery runs out quicker. :sad:

A.

3GGG
30th June 2009, 10:59 AM
For years I had an old Nokia phone and was on a contract with O2 that didn't cost me a penny - I just kept saying I wanted to leave and didn't need a new phone and they gave me huge incentives to stay, even though I never paid them anything. :cool:

Then last year, they said no more incentives to stay - fair enough, I cancelled the contract and actually got a refund of credit that had accrued - quite amazing. I must have had about 3 years of free mobile phone contract (x 2 as my wife was on the same deal).:D

I went PAYG with O2. I had an iPod Touch and loved the interface which is the same as the iPhone. Then the iPhone 3G came along - no way was I going to pay for that on contract - however luck struck again, a friend was upgrading from iPhone original to 3G and gave me his old iPhone :clap:

I top up £10 a month and that gives me the Web and Wifi 'bolt-on'. I get 500 minutes to call any O2 or std landline free from my chosen postcode, so rarely have to top up for calls. I don't use text messaging (old geezer):D
But I do have AIM and TruPhone and Skype and all those great things with the iPhone.

I forgot, I also love the integration of MobileMe with my Macs and iPhone, quite superb.

Yes, I'd love an iPhone 3GS but I'll wait for another bargain. :p