PDA

View Full Version : For the Coaster fans...

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2009, 02:17 AM
Just back from a week in Orlando. Had a great time. Internet access was limited though, I'm too miserable to pay the $14.95 a DAY! for Wifi in the hotel room. So I had to use the loddy wifi which was free for 3 hours a day. So, not been on much the last week or so.

Anyhoooo. Seaworld have a new roller-coaster called - Manta. No idea of the tech specs but I did take some pics which I though the coaster fans amongst us may find of interest. Best way to view them is on a wee web page I've created for them. Once the java has loaded, click the right arrow button on your keyboard to make the images flow through. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Manta at Seaworld - Orlando (http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/orlando/orlando.html)

There are two other images at the end of the main ones. One shows Manta from the top of the Sky Tower and one is taken from underneath one of the carriages as it passed over, showing how much they twist you round.

The screams coming off folk on this coaster could be heard all over the park. Was a stunning sight to behold.

And NO! I didn't go on.:frown: I don't do roller-coasters.:Whistle:

A.:D

GCA3N
6th June 2009, 06:09 AM
You never went on it.....You big wumon, that looked amazing, gr8 pics by the way. Glad you had fun, how was the flying thingy, .....................dare i mension.:lol::bigwave:

Mini Ecosse
6th June 2009, 06:44 AM
Still jet lagged going by time of your post Andy?

Gismo
6th June 2009, 08:35 AM
That's much the same as "air" at Alton Towers, albeit it's got a great looking water feature and sunshine :thumbs up:

zimbo
6th June 2009, 08:58 AM
DAMN YOU ANDY!!!! :argh: makes me want to go back to Orlando even more now.... :ragin: grrrrrrrrrrrr

That ride will be on my to-do list :yes nod:, mmmmmmmmmm Orlando, roller coasters, cheap shopping etc etc drooooooolllllllllllllll mmmmmmmmm :D

RyanK
6th June 2009, 10:29 AM
That looks awesome! I need to go back to florida, aint been in ages

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2009, 10:47 AM
You never went on it.....You big wumon, that looked amazing, gr8 pics by the way. Glad you had fun, how was the flying thingy, .....................dare i mension.:lol::bigwave:

Never really got a chance to chat with you about the flying thingy... I'm actually fine with flying. Fine with taking off, fine with the journey, and as long as the turbulence doesn't get too mental, I'm OK with that too. But I HATE landing. There is just something completely unnatural about 250 tonnes of aluminium coming in to contact with the ground at 250mph on 3 wheels. My big sisters trike had three wheels and it was a lethal wee thing.

Still jet lagged going by time of your post Andy?

Like you wouldn't believe. Didn't sleep at all on the way home so lost an entire nights sleep. Felt like sh!t on Thursday, went to bed at 9pm and slept for 10 hours. Then I couldn't sleep on Friday night. Now I've probably slept on too much today and wont be able to sleep tonight. The joys of jet lag.

That's much the same as "air" at Alton Towers, albeit it's got a great looking water feature and sunshine :thumbs up:

Lots of sunshine. Haven't been to Alton Towers in about 15 years. Isn't it mostly roller-coasters?

DAMN YOU ANDY!!!! :argh: makes me want to go back to Orlando even more now.... :ragin: grrrrrrrrrrrr

That ride will be on my to-do list :yes nod:, mmmmmmmmmm Orlando, roller coasters, cheap shopping etc etc drooooooolllllllllllllll mmmmmmmmm :D

Shopping not that cheap these days. When you convert it back using the current exchange rate most things are the same price in the UK.

That looks awesome! I need to go back to florida, aint been in ages

We're off again in September with Lenore's parents. Meeting up with her Brother, his wife and their wee one. Gonna do Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom as she's only three. Probably also to Universal and Seaworld with Lenore's Mum and Dad too though.

A.

RyanK
6th June 2009, 10:49 AM
Nice one! Is it still busy over the non holiday periods? I usually used to go in the Summer months and it was always mobbed, think i waited 2hr 30 mins to get on Splash mountain :laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2009, 10:58 AM
Nice one! Is it still busy over the non holiday periods? I usually used to go in the Summer months and it was always mobbed, think i waited 2hr 30 mins to get on Splash mountain :laugh:

Really not bad at all. Longest wait time for any ride was 40 mins. And that was for Toy Story Mania at Hollywood studios. Didn't have time to wait or I would have, so still haven't been able to do that ride. September for that one I guess.;)

Was speaking with a guide in Universal who was very informative and helpful and chatty about the park and the plans they have for it.

They have a new roller-coaster opening on 4th July. Well, he said it's not a coaster, it's a "thrill ride" as it doesn't turn you upside down, but it's on rails and looks like any other roller-coaster I've ever seen so as far as I'm concerned it's a coaster. On opening day they are expecting 145,000 peeps through the gate. The park only holds 45,000. But over the day they reckon they will attract more than 3 times that. That will be a day to avoid me thinks.

Most queues while we were there were between 5 and 20 mins. Most of the time Jaws in Universal was 5 mins, but we were able to walk straight on.

September is even quieter. We were there last September and there was hardly a queue longer than 10 mins anywhere - except for The Simpsons Ride in Universal and Toy Story in Hollywood Studios as they were both brand new.

A.

Bazthemod
6th June 2009, 12:00 PM
That looks awesome ... air at Alton Towers was bit too timid for me but i'm lead to believe it has got quicker as people complained.

Busch Gardens has a few good coasters too. The log flume at Sea World is also brilliant... Atlantis or something its called?

My fav ride at Florida still has to be Tower of Terror, the whole theater of the place created by the staff and the building is great. :thumbs up:

Craig
6th June 2009, 12:04 PM
journey to atlantis at sea world Baz.... I soooo want to go back...:argh:

any space in yer suitcase in sept Andy ? :laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2009, 12:08 PM
That looks awesome ... air at Alton Towers was bit too timid for me but i'm lead to believe it has got quicker as people complained.

Busch Gardens has a few good coasters too. The log flume at Sea World is also brilliant... Atlantis or something its called?

My fav ride at Florida still has to be Tower of Terror, the whole theater of the place created by the staff and the building is great. :thumbs up:

In a moment of madness, I actually did Journey to Atlantis back in September. Hated it, then as the adrenaline seeped away, I realised I enjoyed it. Still can't get Lenore on it though.

journey to atlantis at sea world Baz.... I soooo want to go back...:argh:

any space in yer suitcase in sept Andy ? :laugh:

Keep losing the weight the way you are, and I'll get you into my carry-on.:thumbs up:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2009, 12:17 PM
Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld. You can see Seaworld's new water park Aquatica in the background.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/orlando/atlantis.jpg

Our hotel was just across the car park from Seaworld entrance.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/orlando/hotel.jpg

MINI William
6th June 2009, 12:32 PM
Looks reaaly good.Cant wait to go in September now :D:D

Stewart
6th June 2009, 12:43 PM
Did the whole Florida thing a good few years back and we went really in the last few weeks the parks were open in November. It was like Summer in Scotland just hot enough plus the theme parks were quiet I got on all the rides with the longest being 15 mins wait……….But passed signs saying 2.5 hrs from here……No way would I wait a few hours for a ride….So great time to go.

Plus the Space shuttle was out ready for take off which was great to see. Seaworld were just building some of the rides so did not get on them.

Would love to go again I really enjoyed it, at times I was just a big Kid..........

Bazthemod
6th June 2009, 01:23 PM
The other rollercoaster at seaworld... Kracken? thats awesome too!

Argh so want to go back now :sad: Im away to do my Joey mod to take my mind off Florida :p

zimbo
6th June 2009, 02:04 PM
In a moment of madness, I actually did Journey to Atlantis back in September. Hated it, then as the adrenaline seeped away, I realised I enjoyed it.

A.

HA HA... You see you don't hate coasters its just that you've "talked yourself" into believing that you dont like them, this in your own words is the proof that you are coaster fan DEEP down... :thumbs up:

Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld. You can see Seaworld's new water park Aquatica in the background.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/orlando/atlantis.jpg

Our hotel was just across the car park from Seaworld entrance.
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/orlando/hotel.jpg

That looks awesome Andy, I really REALLY want to go back asap... How was the Hotel Andy? It seems to perfectly located to me.

The other rollercoaster at seaworld... Kracken? thats awesome too!

Argh so want to go back now :sad: Im away to do my Joey mod to take my mind off Florida :p

Yeah the Kracken is brilliant got my photos somewhere from 2007 :lol: they are all great, my favourites were Kracken, Dueling Dragons, The Mummy, the one from Busch Gardens, oh heck who am I kidding I LOVE them all....

Anyone fancy a wee trip to Orlando, I can try and arrange a villa that sleeps ten people so more people the cheaper it will be? All you'd need to do is arrange your airline tickets, park tickets and maybe chip in for car rental and were off.... :D

Bazthemod
6th June 2009, 02:50 PM
NEWMINISCOTLAND does USA :cool::D

Stewart
6th June 2009, 07:15 PM
Granted we needed a car from the airport but we had two different cars a wee cheap effort the first week and then the 3lt Convertible we drove around in the second week….The Wee car was a bit of a waste as all it did was travel a five miles each day to a theme park car park and sit all day.

That Hotel looks spot on with it so close.

Met Michael J Fox at Universal studios which was very Hollywood :thumbs up:and nearly got arrested for thinking I was still in a theme park and looking inside a real police car…….. the coopers were fine…Just not the best to stick your head in a open window when the cops are not there...:argh:

Tell you what The Mini’s would be waste apart from the Keys…as the place is so flat and every blooming road is like a grid.

stoney
6th June 2009, 09:34 PM
i want a shot of that

minimad
6th June 2009, 10:46 PM
andy how far is that hotel from the likes of disney land and universal studios??

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2009, 12:12 AM
andy how far is that hotel from the likes of disney land and universal studios??

Tony & Zimbo, the hotel was the.... and this sounds very grand indeed... Renaissance Orlando Resort At Seaworld. It's part of the Marriott group. It's an excellent 4* Hotel. You're really looked after and the staff can't do enough to make you feel welcome. We stayed there for 5 nights in 2006 and Neil & Lorna stayed there in (I think) 2005 and they loved it too.

The hotel is located on Sea Harbor Drive and is literally across the road from the Seaworld car park, so is a five minute walk to Seaworld. I would say it takes about 10 mins to drive to Universal. And maybe 20 mins to drive to Any of the Disney parks. The Disney road structure is excellent for getting you to the parks you want to go to - 3 lane highways everywhere. But Disney are notorious for not letting you go once you're in, so the signs to get back out are hard to find and follow sometimes.

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2009, 01:35 AM
HA HA... You see you don't hate coasters its just that you've "talked yourself" into believing that you dont like them, this in your own words is the proof that you are coaster fan DEEP down... :thumbs up:

And in a moment of complete insanity, Lenore and I both did Big Thunder Mountain in Magic Kingdom in 2006. We're both still receiving counselling for that.:blush:

Seriously though, Atlantis is more a water ride than anything. A tiny wee bit of coaster in the middle, but the biggest shock is the drop near the beginning - you can see it in the pic.:eek:

This holiday we both did the Bilge Rat Barges at Islands Of Adventure - I did it TWICE! It's a rapids ride that you get very very wet on. Good fun though.:thumbs up:

minimad
7th June 2009, 06:13 AM
Tony & Zimbo, the hotel was the.... and this sounds very grand indeed... Renaissance Orlando Resort At Seaworld. It's part of the Marriott group. It's an excellent 4* Hotel. You're really looked after and the staff can't do enough to make you feel welcome. We stayed there for 5 nights in 2006 and Neil & Lorna stayed there in (I think) 2005 and they loved it too.

The hotel is located on Sea Harbor Drive and is literally across the road from the Seaworld car park, so is a five minute walk to Seaworld. I would say it takes about 10 mins to drive to Universal. And maybe 20 mins to drive to Any of the Disney parks. The Disney road structure is excellent for getting you to the parks you want to go to - 3 lane highways everywhere. But Disney are notorious for not letting you go once you're in, so the signs to get back out are hard to find and follow sometimes.

thanks andy looking to take the kids next year :bigwave:

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2009, 10:05 AM
thanks andy looking to take the kids next year :bigwave:

Tony, not sure what age the kids are, but you may be as well with one of the Disney hotels. You will more than likely spend more time in the Disney parks than the other parks - for Lenore and I it's the opposite - and staying closer to the Disney parks or even IN the Disney resort will give you easier access. I'm pretty sure Disney do courtesy buses, boats, trams, monorails etc from ALL their hotels to ALL their parks. This would save you having to drive to those parks on the days you visit them. But, I think the Disney hotels can end up being a bit more costly than staying off the Disney resort area.

I can talk Orlando 'till I'm blue in the face so I'll PM you my number. Feel free to give me a call anytime if you want.

A.:thumbs up:

zimbo
7th June 2009, 10:21 AM
So Andy I take it you guys didnt get a car for your trip seeing as how you were so centrally located and could just jump on one of the buses/tram thingy to get up down the road?

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2009, 10:45 AM
So Andy I take it you guys didnt get a car for your trip seeing as how you were so centrally located and could just jump on one of the buses/tram thingy to get up down the road?

Zimbo, we always hire a car. As much as we were centrally located, it's only Seaworld on the doorstep. I'd hate to go all the way out there then rely on public transport to get me back and forth from/to the hotel. Also, for all the evening entertainment it's a drive job.

You can't beat the freedom of the car in Orlando. Also the road system is excellent. No roundabouts, all interchanges. And most roads have at least 2 lanes each direction - some have 4!! Also, the USA's single best contribution to the rules of the road is the ability to turn right on a red light - the UK equivalent of turning left on a red light. It's a big time saver and providing you check carefully nothing is coming - or crossing, it's safe too.

A.

zimbo
7th June 2009, 03:35 PM
Yup was just curious, I had a chevy impala I think it was in 07 in Orlando I still remember the first time I was in the US in California and saw this guy in front of me going right on a red light and my brother and I looked at each and at the same time said WTF!!! then the guy behind hooted his horn so I proceeded to go through the red light as well and saw a load following as well. So every right turn after that i kinda just went through carefully. It is a great Idea, dont think it could ever work over here :rolleyes:

I was just glad that I had booked a GPS for our rental car in Orlando because there is no way in hell I would have been able to get anywhere if I had not... :Whistle:

I REEAAALLYYYYYYYY want to go back to Orlando ASAP :ragin:

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2009, 10:56 PM
I think some states don't allow you to turn right on red. Don't think New York allows it. Whether that's the city or the state I'm not sure.

We ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe this time round. We booked a "compact" car - Ford Focus or similar. When we got to the desk the lady gave us the usual sales pitch: "We have a special deal on today only - upgra......" I said "No thanks ma'am, the compact will be just fine for us." Get out to the car park and discover our car is a Santa Fe. So she was obviously trying to charge us for an upgrade their system had already given us.

Scottie
15th June 2009, 10:57 PM
:off topic:

Anyone from the site got a trip planned to America anytime soon I'm after a fav, if you are going give me shout.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
15th June 2009, 11:04 PM
We're going back out in September.:thumbs up: Orlando again.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Scottie
15th June 2009, 11:05 PM
We're going back out in September.:thumbs up: Orlando again.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

do you know any mini dealers on your route.????

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 12:22 AM
I don't. We keep meaning to seek one out so we can hire a convertible next time we're out there but keep forgetting. When we're out in September we'll be hauling Lenore's Mum & Dad around with us so no convertible option there.

We'll be going back out in May/June 2010 and may well hire a vert then.

However, a quick look on MINI USA site and there is a MINI Dealer just of John Young Parkway. Not far from where we are staying and playing.

Want something?

A

Mini Ecosse
16th June 2009, 06:20 AM

Time to pluck up enough courage to go on this roller coaster then:laugh::laugh:

Scottie
16th June 2009, 07:41 AM
I don't. We keep meaning to seek one out so we can hire a convertible next time we're out there but keep forgetting. When we're out in September we'll be hauling Lenore's Mum & Dad around with us so no convertible option there.

We'll be going back out in May/June 2010 and may well hire a vert then.

However, a quick look on MINI USA site and there is a MINI Dealer just of John Young Parkway. Not far from where we are staying and playing.

Want something?

A

R56 spot light covers

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 09:55 AM
R56 spot light covers

Let's move this to PM's so it doesn't clutter the thread.:thumbs up:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
16th June 2009, 09:55 AM
Time to pluck up enough courage to go on this roller coaster then:laugh::laugh:

naechance