PDA

View Full Version : Key Programming?

bazzaric
4th June 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Folks,

I purchased a key from John Clarks in Aberdeen a few months ago. I forgot all about it and have just received it through the post from them (obviously got fed up waiting for me to collect!)

Now the question is, can I program it myself or do I have to go in? The key works in the lock of my door, but the alarm goes off when I lock it and walk away. Also, the buttons don't work for locking/unlocking. On a plus note, it does have a pretty mini badge on it!

Is this something I can program myself?

Forbes
4th June 2009, 12:26 PM
I am afraid you have to go into the garage from what i remember.

MartinSullivan
4th June 2009, 01:44 PM
This procedure used to work

PROCEDURE
Initialize remote key as follows:

1.) Close all doors

2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key

3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)

4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds

6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

Might be worth a try, I did it on my Cooper S a long time ago

bazzaric
12th June 2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the advice folks...

I managed to get it done at the Garage today. really annoyed though, because The company I bought the car from were paying for the new key. I purchased the key a while ago at £80. I thought this was the total cost for a working key. Obviously not, another £40 labour charge to get the key programmed....

The fella told me it would be twenty minutes, but took 1hr 15mins.

not amused!

MartinSullivan
12th June 2009, 06:37 PM
Bazzaric just for the record can you confirm if you tried the procedure I posted and it didnt work or if you didnt try it, just so I know whether to give the same procedure to anyone else. As I say I used that procedure a long time ago on my Cooper S after finding it on Mini2 but I dont which years and models it will work on.

bazzaric
12th June 2009, 06:45 PM
never tried it buddy, however have bookmarked it for next time!!

GCA3N
12th June 2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the advice folks...

I managed to get it done at the Garage today. really annoyed though, because The company I bought the car from were paying for the new key. I purchased the key a while ago at £80. I thought this was the total cost for a working key. Obviously not, another £40 labour charge to get the key programmed....

The fella told me it would be twenty minutes, but took 1hr 15mins.

not amused!

That is shocking prices.:eek: