PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Neighbours - Pregnant Wife

Ferengo
2nd June 2009, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys,

Really need your help on this one.

I live in an attic flat and my neighbour below is driving me crazy. Loud music. He started in early Feb, I went down to ask him to turn the music down a bit, He was dismissive so I ended up going down again. He said it wasn't too loud and that I should have more consideration for him. I called his landlord who got him to be quiet but his landlord wants nothing more to do with it he says if it happens again then call the police. I went down the next day and we made up.

About 3 weeks ago it started again, Friday and Sundays nights, Saturday if he's in, Monday during the day. Anything from about 3pm onwards to the early hours. Nights it is louder. I think the main problem is too much bass and his window is open but still it's disturbing us. We can hear it over our TV.

Sarah is 5 months pregnant now and she's starting to stress too and she's quiet tolerant when it comes to these things. I'm finding it hard to relax, sleep and even eat. I know we make noise, I mean we all do. He complained before when I went down that he could hear us running around. We don't. We have house cats that do occasionally run around but not very often.

My main concern is retaliation if I call the police. Since no other neighbours I know of have complained he will probably think it's us. He has a 57 plate civic so I don't think he would do anything to our car for fear of something happening to his, but when you're thinking about this all the time your mind started to run away I mean what if he finds out we have cats and tries to poison them through the letterbox? Sarah was worried that he would set fire to the place but again he lives below us, that wouldn't be a smart thing to do. The retaliation thing started due to the fact he was mouthy and he mate was very aggressive when I went down if Feb, we have no other basis for knowing him.

I'm just at my wits end and have no idea what I should do, should I grin and bare it?

Help, Ferengo

Gismo
2nd June 2009, 10:12 AM
Catch 22 situation, have you advised your neighbour of your wife's condition, if not, then go again and politely advise him that you've read up on this scenario and that it often leads to difficulties for the unborn.

May sound a bit drastic, but, given that he's ignored your requests i think you've got to do something, if he's unresponsive then call out the noise adherence agency and finally the police.

baptie
2nd June 2009, 10:16 AM
the problem will be the noise adherence want you to log info over a month period, if it gets that bad and you do call the police you have to log that as well.

We had to move from our previous home due to noisey neighbours, police were no help.
they chapped the door and nothing was going on.

Feel for ya, Its hell on earth.

best way is to keep a diary of all events, I know its alittle anal but it keeps you right

Ferengo
2nd June 2009, 10:18 AM
Catch 22 situation, have you advised your neighbour of your wife's condition, if not, then go again and politely advise him that you've read up on this scenario and that it often leads to difficulties for the unborn.

May sound a bit drastic, but, given that he's ignored your requests i think you've got to do something, if he's unresponsive then call out the noise adherence agency and finally the police.

He was acutally the first to know as it started the week we found out and I used that as and excuse when I went down. So yeah he knows and being a Dad himself he should know better, but I guess that's probably why he only gets his kids now and again...

Ferengo
2nd June 2009, 10:19 AM
the problem will be the noise adherence want you to log info over a month period, if it gets that bad and you do call the police you have to log that as well.

We had to move from our previous home due to noisey neighbours, police were no help.
they chapped the door and nothing was going on.

Feel for ya, Its hell on earth.

best way is to keep a diary of all events, I know its alittle anal but it keeps you right

Cheers, I have been keeping it. got three weeks worth so far and it averages about one nosie distrubance every 3 days.

GCA3N
2nd June 2009, 10:33 AM
PM sent.

Big Gordy
2nd June 2009, 10:49 AM
I feel your pain :frown:
We moved out of our first flat because we could hear EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, the two hippo's upstairs were doing:ragin:
Main thing is to keep your cool during it all as its so easy to just want to smack them about the head for being so unreasonable.
Have you tried to organise between the two of you a time when its OK to play it a bit louder say when your going to be out for the evening....maybe he needs to get it out of his system once in a while. Is there a reason for him starting up again:confused: Lost his job = in the house more = plays music more. I mean the first instance was in February and its been quite until 3 weeks ago......wonder why he's started again..??

Ferengo
2nd June 2009, 11:15 AM
I feel your pain :frown:
We moved out of our first flat because we could hear EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, the two hippo's upstairs were doing:ragin:
Main thing is to keep your cool during it all as its so easy to just want to smack them about the head for being so unreasonable.
Have you tried to organise between the two of you a time when its OK to play it a bit louder say when your going to be out for the evening....maybe he needs to get it out of his system once in a while. Is there a reason for him starting up again:confused: Lost his job = in the house more = plays music more. I mean the first instance was in February and its been quite until 3 weeks ago......wonder why he's started again..??

I know it's weird, it's been quiet for so long but he's been down there for 2 years now and last Feb was the first time we ever heard anything from him. Don't think he's lost his job but if he has then with any luck he'll need to move out.

I would go down and speak to him about arranging a time but after our last encounter I don't feel as though I can. If he hadn't had lost his cool then I'd have no problem going down. I kept mine thank god even though I wanted to burst past his door and smash that stereo up.

Big Gordy
2nd June 2009, 11:19 AM
Just buy yourself a HUGE pair of bass speakers, lay them face down, put some Metallica on and turn those suckers up to 11:shut up: See how that goes:Whistle:

Ferengo
2nd June 2009, 11:32 AM
Just buy yourself a HUGE pair of bass speakers, lay them face down, put some Metallica on and turn those suckers up to 11:shut up: See how that goes:Whistle:

I'm a bass player anyway. My gear is stored at my parents but I have thought about going and getting my 575watt bass amp with 4x10" speakers laying it face down and playing my life out on it. Damn that thing can play arenas at half volume, I'd probably bring the whole building down.

In the end though I shouldn't sink to his level as I'd have no leg to stand on if I called Enviromental health.

baptie
2nd June 2009, 12:07 PM
In the end though I shouldn't sink to his level as I'd have no leg to stand on if I called Enviromental health.

We had to do that!
Not nice when your neighbours know you are logging there every move and grassing them in.

Bad Times :shut up:

Keep chin up

Ferengo
2nd June 2009, 12:14 PM
We had to do that!
Not nice when your neighbours know you are logging there every move and grassing them in.

Bad Times :shut up:

Keep chin up

It's been 4 months so with any luck nothing will happen from him. Did it work out for you? How long did it take if it got sorted? Also did they retaliate in anyway?

baptie
2nd June 2009, 01:00 PM
we had it for about 7months, logging everything.
We had a great neighbour, sold up and became a private let.
4different tenants in a year.

sold house just over a year ago, now in great wee neighbourhood 0.2miles away. no noise at night, sleep like a baby and less stressed.

Passed the old house about a month back, smashed windows and garden was like jungle.

We did specify in selling the house that we had 'issues' with neighbours. Also had two police reports.

no retaliation, I had 3woods at both doors!

euan
2nd June 2009, 05:24 PM
Worst thing you can do is any kind of retaliation, no matter how much you feel you want to. It's always more satisfying not to rise to the bait, no matter what the situation, if your in the right - and with noisy neighbours it's especially key.

You just have to do as has been suggested - keep logs of it, don't do anything rash, call in environmental health if you need (might be worth a chat with them anyway just to get advice?).

MrMischief
2nd June 2009, 09:19 PM
I hear what you're saying, sounds to me that he's not got any ties & doesn't really give a damn about anyone else. :ragin:

There's not a lot you can do apart from log the noise, record it, then call Env Health. My sister in law monitors situations like this for Perth Council, if you decide to call them in and he receives an ASBO etc, it may not prevent him from doing it again. Difficult situation I'm afraid.

TBH, an attic flat won't be ideal for buggies etc...unless you have a lift?

audrey
2nd June 2009, 11:20 PM
My sisters been putting up with a similiar thing for over 2 years now.Like yourself she thought the best thing to do was approach him and try to reason with him but he was very aggressive and the problem got much worse :frown:

She ended up having to get the police involved but of course he knew it was her he has since been arrested many times for shouting things at them in the street and up to the window.He has vandalised their car and threatened them and all the police say is write down everything he does and call us if it gets too bad :confused:

The thing is why should thesee people get away with this it's easy for people to say you should move but the thing is not everyone can afford to. Hope everything works out for you as I know the effect this is having on my sister and her family :sad: