PDA

View Full Version : Software updates

3GGG
6th May 2004, 11:24 PM
I notice on MINI2 that the USA guys seem to be totally obsessed with getting their 'software' updated to the latest revision, just curious we never seem to hear anything about this over here, anyone ever had their software updated when the car has been in for a service or repair under warranty?

Gismo
6th May 2004, 11:31 PM
They'd better not go anywhere near my software :evil:

KenL
6th May 2004, 11:53 PM
Well some people have serious problems with their S in that they can "stumble" and "yo-yo". The yo-yo is no doubt annoying but the stumble is a loss of power when pulling away which can I imagine be pretty scary when pulling into fast traffic.

MINI are aware of the problem and are working on a cure so when a new version of ECU programming comes along owners are desperate to get it to see if it cures their problems.

In the UK it seems that dealers just deny there is a problem or that they've ever heard of it. :disapprove:

3GGG
7th May 2004, 12:21 AM
I wondered if it was standard for the garage to update cars in for service to the latest rev? - or is it the case they leave well alone unless there is a complaint.

Not having an S, I don't suffer from Yo-Yo and the Stumble has not been a problem either - except in wet and that was just Traction Control coming in.

Is it true that there is an 'adaptive' element to the mapping in the ECU? - whereby it modifies according to driving style over a period of time.

john
7th May 2004, 12:22 AM
I have had my car in for an upgrade and the problem is still there:(
I have an appointment later this month with the MINI UK rep:)

3GGG
7th May 2004, 12:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

I have had my car in for an upgrade and the problem is still there:(
I have an appointment later this month with the MINI UK rep:)

Which problem John? - Stumble?

KenL
7th May 2004, 12:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

Is it true that there is an 'adaptive' element to the mapping in the ECU? - whereby it modifies according to driving style over a period of time.

Apparantly so.

Steve74
7th May 2004, 08:35 PM
It's quite sacry - I have it in writing from BMW that they don't recognise stumble on my MCS as an issue - I've even met a BMW (GB) technical rep about it and he didn't admit to the fault! I've now got the latest version of the EM software but the problem is still there unless I turn DSC off!

KenL
8th May 2004, 05:26 AM
Anyone with an S with a yo-yo problem might want to print of this article and show it to their denying dealer/MINI representative ;)

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/05/07/mini_to_release_fix_for_mcs_yo-yo_issue

john
8th May 2004, 05:19 PM
My car runs rough when driven calmly (so I've been told:D)
It feels like its holding back and stuttering.

But when driven hard its OK:disapprove:

john
8th May 2004, 05:24 PM
Forgot to mention I was told by MINI GB its a known fault on the 's' but they were unaware of this fault in a Cooper!!! yet Moonshine had the same fault and we both have a Cooper!!!!!!!!!

KenL
9th May 2004, 03:39 AM
Give it some wellie then John :p

Wul
9th May 2004, 03:44 AM
john - my cooper had that problem too - usually only from cold though!

Julz
9th May 2004, 03:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Give it some wellie then John :p

Like he needs to be encouraged!!:evil::D