PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox whine

Kevin Carruthers
26th May 2009, 01:34 PM
Hi there, first post. I have an 07 mini cooper and have what I suspect is a gearbox/engine issue. On start up the starter motor makes a kind of whoop noise and there appears to be a bit of transmission whine when driving. Cars only done 25,000 miles. Should I have any worries?

doogz__
26th May 2009, 01:52 PM
Maybe? Hard to diagnose online.

It'll still be in warranty, i'd take it back. Or if you're mechanically competant, have a look and see how much oil is in the box.

Kevin Carruthers
28th May 2009, 09:29 PM
Cheers for that, to be honest was trying to keep it out of the garage until after Christmas. When it was in for clutch fluid service? They were recommending brake pads and all sorts, but I know I can take it back if it gets worse.

Kevin

doogz__
29th May 2009, 11:26 AM
TBh if Mini are telling you you need brakes, you should really do it, pretty important safety aspect of your car there!

Driving about knowing your brakes are substandard is both dangerous and inconsiderate to other road users. Not trying to sound like a moany ****, but get them sorted if they need it, don't scrimp on safety.

The Dogfather
29th May 2009, 11:58 AM
Your cars key actually tells the service guys how long is left in your brakes. My car went in for a service I've got 600 on my front pads and 700 miles on the rears.

Kevin Carruthers
29th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Hi folks, you're right they recommended I did the pads i.e. theres so many hundred miles left. I said I would wait on the sensors letting me know when they needed replaced. Wrong thing?

ianking
31st May 2009, 11:53 AM
Hi folks, you're right they recommended I did the pads i.e. theres so many hundred miles left. I said I would wait on the sensors letting me know when they needed replaced. Wrong thing?

I will change your discs and pads if you want Kevin. Will prob just need pads though.

doogz__
1st June 2009, 08:05 AM
Your cars key actually tells the service guys how long is left in your brakes. My car went in for a service I've got 600 on my front pads and 700 miles on the rears.

How on earth do car keys know how long your brakes have left?

The light on the dash will only come on when the pad depth reaches a certain level, until then, you have brakes. Does the keyfob just track the mileage and have a stab in the dark at how many miles you'll get from a set of pads? As it totally depends on how you drive?

ianking
1st June 2009, 05:19 PM
How on earth do car keys know how long your brakes have left?

The light on the dash will only come on when the pad depth reaches a certain level, until then, you have brakes. Does the keyfob just track the mileage and have a stab in the dark at how many miles you'll get from a set of pads? As it totally depends on how you drive?

Yeah thats exactly what it does. It just tracks the miles.

I agree with you, change them when the wear sensor lights up. Even then there is still a fair bit to go when the light comes on.

Laura
2nd June 2009, 08:50 PM
i change them when they start feeling like they need changed tbh, the audi is the first car i've had with the pad depth sensor thingy on

doogz__
2nd June 2009, 08:51 PM
cr*p, sorry, that last post was me, i'm on Laura's laptop, hadn't realised it was her that was logged in when i hit the reply button